Glutton Creeper's Fallout PnP shut down?

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Tannhauser, May 9, 2007.

1. draeke

draeke It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 2, 2005
    That's not necessarily true. I believe that if B/Z already filed for an injunction, then the grounds for that injuction i.e. the original contract, would become a matter of public record along with any other documentation that supports their argument. If it does not, then GCG may include that as supporting documentation as part of their response. Also, GCG may counter-motion under rule 11 for dismissal and damages, and B/Z's injunction may never see the light of day. Either way, both sides are going to argue and the contract is going to be part of one side's documentation. So, we should get to see it after both sides arguments are heard. This is probably nothing more than legal maneuvering on B/Z's part to delay the release of GCG's product , which they think is going to suck and hurt their brand's image. I'd say it's more of a PR move than monetarily motivated for the moment. B/Z is more concerned with GCG putting out a crappy product which could tarnish their image and impact sales at this point. B/Z only stands to lose if their release is a big success, which would more than likely increase sales for GCG, of which B/Z wouldn't be getting a piece of. This could be a really shrewd move on B/Z's part too. If they keep GCG tied up in court and unable to release their product, they may want to offload it for cheap and B/Z could turn around and mod and release it as their own. It really all depends on how much GCG's operating budget is tied up in their release and who the original contract supports. Either way, I think B/Z is getting what they want by trying to delay the pnp release, so at the very least the two are more disassociated. I think it's a win/win for B/Z, and even more so if they ultimately want the rights to the pnp ip. I've said too much already. I may be giving B/Z way too much credit for a powerplay they might or might not be making. I'm sure they're just greedy bastards anyway, we know how they operate. Getting to read the contract though, we'll probably get to see it, we'll just have to wait.

2. Davaris

Davaris Still Mildly Glowing

Dec 9, 2005
    draeke:

I was thinking the same thing about the big guy using superior finances and the law to squash the little guy.

But then I thought, lets give them the benefit of the doubt and see what the contracts say.

Hopefully we'll get to see them soon!

3. Wiggum

Wiggum First time out of the vault

Apr 18, 2007
    Heh, I had to stop thinking for moment, "is this bad news?". Well, atleas something Bethesda has done right.

4. Sytxferryman

Sytxferryman Still Mildly Glowing

Mar 14, 2005
    /agreed 500%

If this is a sign of the road Bethesda is taking, not just making Fallout but also protecting it from others that damage its image, that is a good sign... but who's to say that if they don't portray the Fallout image their selves they will sue their selves?

Regardless, I will take this as a good sign at least for now... anything protection against anything negative about Fallout's image should be a good thing. I think that GCG will resolve the parts that don't fit into the Fallout universe though... probably redo some art, redo the game play, and other things. Who knows? If they force their hand enough it might be something worth buying a few copies of if in Fallout's real image.

5. Ausir

Ausir Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 20, 2003
    At last! Glutton Creeper's Fallout d20, for what we've seen so far, has been at least as crappy as FOBOS.

The funniest thing is Wyatt still thinks Herve will help him resolve it.

6. taxacaria

taxacaria It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 18, 2005
    A d20 PnP Fallout isn't part of the series. It's a spin-off at best case.
    So I'm not worried about it's quality at all. Same at the handy version of Fallout 0.
    Both are too far away from the series to bother me.
    And I can't see Bethesda's point here.
    How bad is Fallout 3, when they have to fear such games?

7. DirtyDreamDesigner

DirtyDreamDesigner Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 15, 2005
    Havok, don't double post. If your brain is teeming with more comments press the conveniently placed 'Edit' button and then spew away.

8. Endless Void

Endless Void It Wandered In From the Wastes

Apr 10, 2005
    Am I the only one thinking Bethesda is trying to get in good terms with FO fans? 'Cause if they are watching us they already know how much hatred was spat on the GCG's Fallout PnP... So maybe they want us to think they *do* care about the precious license they hold...

P.S. : Bah! Nevermind... I'm just being paranoid again... :roll:

9. dotz

dotz First time out of the vault

Apr 3, 2006
    May be similar B/Z action is reason for kicking out from www J.E. Sawyer's Fallout Wiki, wich contained manual for his Fallout PnP.

10. Havok

Havok First time out of the vault

Jan 24, 2007
    The Star Trek fan site community comes to mind to. There are some big fan sites that didn't drink Bethesda's Kool-aid and they got blacklisted. Not that it matters. In the end, the fans know where to go to find their info.

11. Ausir

Ausir Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 20, 2003
    No, I spoke to J.E. Sawyer and he just has some troubles with the hosting, he'll revive the wiki when he has time (or simply when he cares to do so).

12. Corith

Corith Still Mildly Glowing

Apr 28, 2004
    Now we discover that ZeniMax Media/Bethesda is stating that Interplay never had the rights to license a Pen and Paper to GCG under their license of Fallout.

Yes indeed, suckered by the slick frog king. Even with with his reputation he still managed to swindle them out of money. I guess there will always be stupid, gullible people who utterly fail to comprehend Herve is a loser.

I wonder how much Herve got, and what he wasted it on. Perhaps he is wants to buy back is race car.

13. Tannhauser

Tannhauser Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Orderite

Mar 18, 2004
    A minor update to the GCG website.

14. Havok

Havok First time out of the vault

Jan 24, 2007
    The stink cloud grows. If I remember correctly, and I probably don't. Wasn't Bethesda's original contract just for Fallout 3 with an option for 4 and 5? I'd like to see these contracts.

15. Vault 69er

Vault 69er Water Chip? Been There, Done That

May 3, 2007
    Well they did recently acquire the full IP from Interplay except for the MMO rights (because Interplay is going to get right on making that, right Herve?).
    I don't think EvilCorp.. er.. Zenimax's lawyers would go around throwing cease and desists without a solid legal basis.

16. Terrasque

Terrasque First time out of the vault

May 10, 2007
    I must say, this news both sucks and rocks at the same time.

On one hand, it sucks for the Glutton cause they have the potential for losing lots and lots of hard work. It's never a good thing to see an indy-rpg company get their product squashed by another company with lots of fundage.

On the other hand, I'm happy to hear this because the product that GCG was getting ready to release looked about as good as rat-on-a-stick. From what I read, they were really butchering the setting and history, and the gameplay was looking pretty abysmal. No offense to GCG, but I was pretty appalled at the idea this game was going to be the 'official' pen and paper RPG of Fallout. I mean, Interplay must have been really desperate to sell their best IP to (seemingly) some random D20-crap designer.

Kind of reminds me of the way Shadowrun is being handled. Have you seen the new Unreal Tourny rip-off they're making? They completely changed the setting and history of a great, established canon. I just wish Beth/Zeni would buy the rights for Shadowrun and pull the rug out from under that project...

17. taxacaria

taxacaria It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 18, 2005
    So Bethesda was hoping for the project's cancelling, and when they realized that it's going to be released, they've pulled the emergency break.

18. Tannhauser

Tannhauser Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Orderite

Mar 18, 2004

19. Briosafreak

Briosafreak Lived Through the Heat Death

Dec 18, 2003
    His English is actually worse than mine :shock:

20. Terrasque

Terrasque First time out of the vault

May 10, 2007
    This was written by the dudes from GCG? Yikes...Score one for bethsoft in my eyes.

I'd hate to open the Fallout P&P book and read "War...war never change."