Goddammit, I hate being wrong - showrunners fucked New Vegas

It's definitely not impossible, it's just that in the time it would take to make a complete conversion, several other games set in the world of Fallout could be made. It just seems like a waste of time to fix something that's really not worth fixing.
first off the idea that fallout isnt worth fixing is crazy. we literally spend YEARS here bitching about how the games dont fit together or have bad writing and bethesda for all their assness do give us the tools to change that. another game coming out would just be another baseline for a new good fallout game once we finish the first TC in 10 years. this is way better than just bitching

What positive is there about Fallout 3?
The Protectron, that's about it.

If some Bethesda pocket holder wants debate the merits of Little Lamplight, go right ahead. I'm sure Phipps has already got those talking points preloaded.
first off the idea that fallout isnt worth fixing is crazy. we literally spend YEARS here bitching about how the games dont fit together or have bad writing and bethesda for all their assness do give us the tools to change that. another game coming out would just be another baseline for a new good fallout game once we finish the first TC in 10 years. this is way better than just bitching
But Graves the people who makes those types of things are all sex weirdos who get checks from the government.

but we dont have to be innit
Yeah, but I'd rather use my free time doing an in depth PnP than trying to do things with that engine it wasn't made for. My personal vision for a 3D Fallout would involve a realistic map size and the classic world map style fast travel. The latter has been implemented for NV, but making a realistic world map isn't really feasible in that engine, and would require procedural generation. I'd have small proc gen map instances loaded in for random encounters, like in the classic games. Not sure how feasible that would be in Gamebryo.

I'm talking specifically about 3, and fan made projects that expand the worlds of the earlier games. Not Fallout as a whole.

I liked the soundtrack of 3, at least to a degree, it definitely gave the feeling of being alone in a dead world.
I’d say specifically the tracks used for metro tunnels captured the ambient-horror vibe of some of the tracks in the originals fairly well, but most of the surface music was too peaceful sounding for my taste. It was like the Modoc song over and over again.

Anyway, @PaxVenire has made a couple of threads about rewriting Bethesda games and it’s generated some discussion, so it’s not all whining and complaining here.

I liked the soundtrack of 3, at least to a degree, it definitely gave the feeling of being alone in a dead world.
I’d say specifically the tracks used for metro tunnels captured the ambient-horror vibe of some of the tracks in the originals fairly well, but most of the surface music was too peaceful sounding for my taste.

Genuinely a great track from Fallout 3. Love this one.

Anyway, @PaxVenire has made a couple of threads about rewriting Bethesda games and it’s generated some discussion, so it’s not all whining and complaining here.

When it comes to rewriting the games I've really gotta lock in on that because I keep putting it to the wayside for other stuff like my Van Buren PnP playthrough, my Florida PnP adventures, and now rewriting the TV series.

has there ever been an NMA attempt at a total conversion for fallout 3 and 4? i mean we're hanging around here for years and years anyways. the idea of a series of TCs comprising a semi official "NMA continuity" is a really cool idea if we can keep it up. rewrite fallout 3 to remove the crazy lore stretching expanding on the good idea's bethesda did have and title it FALLOUT: DC. i mean shit we're passionate enough to do this in theory. and it would make us more than some internet whiners objectively. there was an extensive rewrite done by a user named @Radiosity or something that had some cool ideas in it a long while back

I do wish there were more creatives around NMA nowadays. The fan fiction/fan art forums are pretty dry.

They quite literally have no clue... (Firstly they assume it's Earth, and that it would recover like Earth). They do not realize that to progress it back to normality is the death of the setting. It has always been discussed that the war would have to happen again if they ever recovered from it. Fallout's setting should only ever shift sideways (elsewhere) within the same range of years.

Yeah, but I'd rather use my free time doing an in depth PnP than trying to do things with that engine it wasn't made for. My personal vision for a 3D Fallout would involve a realistic map size and the classic world map style fast travel. The latter has been implemented for NV, but making a realistic world map isn't really feasible in that engine, and would require procedural generation. I'd have small proc gen map instances loaded in for random encounters, like in the classic games. Not sure how feasible that would be in Gamebryo.
You could just manually create a very large number of small "exterior world space" cells and have a player randomly assigned to them in the case of a random encounter/stopping at one point on the map. It would be possible.

I’d say specifically the tracks used for metro tunnels captured the ambient-horror vibe of some of the tracks in the originals fairly well, but most of the surface music was too peaceful sounding for my taste. It was like the Modoc song over and over again.
I like whatever song from Fallout 3 was used for Novac in NV. Sounds like the X-Files. I do like the main theme, even if it's thematically wrong and too "epic" for Fallout.

but I agree, the soundtrack overall was too peaceful and fantasy-ish, though it had it's moments. Inon Zur's a talented guy.

They quite literally have no clue... (Firstly they assume it's Earth, and that it would recover like Earth). They do not realize that to progress it back to normality is the death of the setting. It has always been discussed that the war would have to happen again if they ever recovered from it. Fallout's setting should only ever shift sideways (elsewhere) within the same range of years.
Yeah. Which is why chronologically I think New Vegas is a good end point for the series, we're getting too far into the future. Anything else should be set earlier in the setting.

Yes, please describe the threads about individual plots, worldbuilding, and idea.
There are theses in this forum on why the Bethesda Fallouts suck that go into painful detail why they are bad. They don't just say "it sucks", they talk about the plot holes, the horrendous writing, how shallow everything is, the complete disregard for the rules and internal consistency. Or are you so triggered by the fact that some people here don't like the same games you do that you even lump in well founded criticism with the shallow criticism? Because that would be incredibly immature.

The problems with the Bethesda Fallouts have been discussed to death, there's nothing left to say.

Last edited:
You know, since a lot of you guys keep mentioning the fact that New Vegas was really the end of the series, or at least the notion of that.

I feel like this right here perfectly captures that sentiment:
Lumii_20240426_153131070_1_1.jpg

For me, these quotes when you put them together, really brings everything full circle.

Especially the quote "War, War Never Changes"
I think New Vegas should've been the last time it was used, especially to cap it off like THAT, would've been something else.

:-)

Last edited:
has there ever been an NMA attempt at a total conversion for fallout 3 and 4? i mean we're hanging around here for years and years anyways. the idea of a series of TCs comprising a semi official "NMA continuity" is a really cool idea if we can keep it up. rewrite fallout 3 to remove the crazy lore stretching expanding on the good idea's bethesda did have and title it FALLOUT: DC. i mean shit we're passionate enough to do this in theory. and it would make us more than some internet whiners objectively. there was an extensive rewrite done by a user named @Radiosity or something that had some cool ideas in it a long while back

Given we now have AI voice generation, making an overhaul of those parts of the games is far easier than it used to be.

Thing is, most people who play F3 anymore, even though Bethesda 'patched it' to work on Win 10 finally, do it with Tale of Two Wastelands, which requires New Vegas. So, we'd have to see if that group could help us make our overhaul work.

One of the problems is that most of the interiors have piping and ducts in the plenum; all of that would interfere with an ISO/3D FO3—all of those model sets would have to be reworked. Ricardo [Socrates2000] once said (when I suggested it) that turn based combat was (likely) possible using the AI commands (enabling & disabling, and tracking virtual turns)... but that Bethesda would never do it (ie. never support or test that).

I played around with it a bit, but nothing functional with the combat.

Last edited:
You could just manually create a very large number of small "exterior world space" cells and have a player randomly assigned to them in the case of a random encounter/stopping at one point on the map. It would be possible.
Yeah, I've been thinking that. Kinda like how it worked in the classics.

But also the cell that is picked should match the terrain type shown on the overland map at the time of the encounter.

map2.gif

This behavior would seem to have been overlooked or forgotten in Fallout 2. :(

Of course this implies a reworking of the game map as either the classic UI, or as a Pipboy animation.

IRRC Sesom had an experimental overland map implemented in FO3, where the PC figuratively walked to the map (not to scale) from place to place. It's not in his video list, so it might have been part of a mod project that he was part of.

Last edited:
Back