Goddammit, I hate being wrong - showrunners fucked New Vegas

So why exactly would a professional Hollywood studio want to limit themselves to the "lore" of a video game from over 25 years ago? They want to tell their own stories using the setting. "Lore"/canon isn't important to that goal. You autists need to go out and touch some grass or let go

So why exactly would a professional Hollywood studio want to limit themselves to the "lore" of a video game from over 25 years ago? They want to tell their own stories using the setting. "Lore"/canon isn't important to that goal. You autists need to go out and touch some grass or let go
They don’t want to use the setting. They want to use the brand. The iconography. If they wanted to use the setting, they wouldn’t pick and choose which parts of the setting they like and toss aside the rest.

Caring about this is pointless, I agree with you there, but I don’t see how defending the creatively bankrupt decisions of billion dollar studios is any less pathetic.

If the writers don't give a shit about continuity or any internal consistency, then i won't waste my time watching your show. Simple.

The problem is that these companies (Bethesda & Amazon) want to strip mine an established IP for markets that are unlikely to appreciate the material. They then alter that material to the point of near unrecognizability, and in some cases utter contradiction of premise.

It's like reformulating Vegemite to compete with the flavor of Nutella—it's absurd.

SVP_2.png

Or imagine if, say, Oskar's Surströmming were bought out and the product —replaced— with pickled sardines for sake of the mainstream palette (, but retaining the same name for brand recognition). It would result in fans of an impostor product, and garner intense enmity (rightly deserved) from those who favor what the product name rightly means.

If the new market doesn't appreciate the product, then what is the point of destructively trying to sell it to them? Wouldn't it be cheaper and less disingenuous to sell them something original that is more in keeping with their tastes, instead of retroactively damaging an established product to make it fit their taste (by becoming something entirely different)?

Different as in like selling ice cream to Inuits from the perspective that most Inuits are lactose intolerant, and so making the ice cream out of bear fat instead of milk—it's not got any cream in it. How can you call that ice cream?—why would they want it with that name?

There is almost nothing of Fallout in Bethesda's FO3, and the Amazon show is based on Bethesda's misconceived product.

That said, I liked the setting props of the show, and was amazed at the supporting cast they hired for it. Alas not a single scene in the series held any sort of surprise, and each played out just as expected.

Last edited:

I mean, they've gone to elaborate and huge lengths to make countless Easter Eggs and the reason seems to be because they're huge fans.

Todd Howard said he was genuinely surprised that Jonathan Nolan played the games and came to him with the project.

They're just huge fans of Bethesda's Fallout, which drives the people on this board nuts.

They don’t want to use the setting. They want to use the brand. The iconography. If they wanted to use the setting, they wouldn’t pick and choose which parts of the setting they like and toss aside the rest.

Caring about this is pointless, I agree with you there, but I don’t see how defending the creatively bankrupt decisions of billion dollar studios is any less pathetic.

I mean they literally could make anything and it would have a far huger market than Fallout--even the massively expanded Fallout market that Bethesda created.

The original Fallout sold 600,000 copies, Fallout 3 sold 12 million.

And yet both will be dwarfed by the show.

That's a backhanded slap at the IP—again.

How do you figure?

Literally most of the people on this board are like, "Hollywood doesn't care about Fallout."

This is just assuming that Todd shares the same opinion as most Fallout fans here.

How do you figure?
Which is it then? Did he mean FO3+, or did he include Fallout and Fallout 2?

Todd Howard has often backhanded the fans of the original Fallout games. If he meant FO3&4... then I am probably mistaking his intent, but I certainly read it as equivalent to, "You actually played Fallout!? :shock:".

Last edited:
Which is it then? Did he mean FO3+, or did he include Fallout and Fallout 2?

Todd Howard has often backhanded the fans of the original Fallout games. If he meant FO3&4... then I am probably mistaking his intent, but I certainly read it as equivalent to, "You actually played Fallout!? :shock:".

I mean only a tiny selection of fans draw any real difference. And justifiably so.

Basically, the rest of the world points to the people making the feud and Nelson laughs.

Especially when Tim Cain and Chris Avellone are both sitting back to enjoy it.

But also the cell that is picked should match the terrain type shown on the overland map at the time of the encounter.

map2.gif

This behavior would seem to have been overlooked or forgotten in Fallout 2. :(

Of course this implies a reworking of the game map as either the classic UI, or as a Pipboy animation.

IRRC Sesom had an experimental overland map implemented in FO3, where the PC figuratively walked to the map (not to scale) from place to place. It's not in his video list, so it might have been part of a mod project that he was part of.

Someone did that for NV I think. It brings you down to the regular map, but you could just prepare small scale maps that bring you back to the world map like in the classics when you reach a certain border.

Someone did that for NV I think. It brings you down to the regular map, but you could just prepare small scale maps that bring you back to the world map like in the classics when you reach a certain border.
I did a concept of that in FO3:

Sesom's was an actual map level with the overland map on the ground, where the [thousand foot tall] PC would walk from tile to tile before returning to the regular game view.

This is true, but I don’t understand the need for attitude at the end there. Whether made with the series’ lore or canon in mind or not it’s still a new entry to the series which is bound to generate discussion on a fan site.

I mean only a tiny selection of fans draw any real difference. And justifiably so.

Basically, the rest of the world points to the people making the feud and Nelson laughs.

Especially when Tim Cain and Chris Avellone are both sitting back to enjoy it.
Only tiny selection of fans draw any real difference because only tiny selection of fans actually played those games. Most didn't even bother to read the wiki, but act like they know everything about them.
Also didn't Chris said that he doesn't like the show?

He seems to be mostly positive and weirdly his biggest issue with the show was the Enclave having such a small role compared to Vault-Tec.

Even though he hates the Enclave and says Todd Howard has a massive one for it.

That's because The Enclave being the villains makes sense and Vault-Tec doesn't.

Johnathan Nolan being a fan of the games is also ironic because the episodes he directed are by far the worst in the season.

That's a good question you should ask them, because they made the TV show canon.

I mean they're the same thing. Vault-Tec is in canon a front for the Wasteland Illuminati.
They're definitely not the same thing or else government officials would be in Vault 31 and not Vault-Tec executives. The Enclave wouldn't have been on the Poseidon oil rig.

What we have now is a corpse being paraded around with the sole purpose of making money through recognizable iconography and nothing else, no actual attempt of any artistry or meaningful content. The sooner people accept it, the better.

Go back to playing Fallout 1, 2, New Vegas, the TC mods, and all the games inspired by the franchise. That's how you honor it.
I mean, that's what it's been since Fallout 3. Interplay killed it, Bethesda paraded its corpse around.

Essentially, it's the death of intellectual discourse. There's nothing more irritating and pointless than guys who go, "Everything about [insert X] sucks. Everything." If you can't say anything positive about X or whatnot then you basically show you don't have two brain cells to rub together. You can't actually converse as an adult because there's nothing valuable in your critique. It's just mindless white noise.

Which benefits the actual shitty changes made by groups because if there's everything is bad, there's no way of critiquing what they did wrong.

It's why I blame the "haters" for the studio system because they don't have any actual suggestions for improvement.
... I mean... (fallout 3) They fucked up the robots, fucked up the ghouls, fucked up the vaults, fucked up the tone, fucked up the world, fucked up the art design, fucked up the iconography, fucked up the atmosphere, fucked up the factions, fucked up the lore, fucked up the writing, fucked up the quests, fucked up the 'point' of the gameplay, fucked up the combat system, fucked up the rpg system, fucked up their own combat balance, fucked up the main story, fucked up the internal consistency of their world.

Everything in Fallout 3 'is' shit.
On its own merits? VATS is cute.
It's undeniable that for someone like me who had never played a Bethesda game before it was amazing to see a first person RPG in a sandbox world that didn't play like 'complete' ass and was relatively fun in a mindless kind of a way. But that was BECAUSE I had turned off my brain. The moment I turned it on is when everything in it fell apart.
And I wanna fuck Moira Brown, bad.

It's because I have two braincells to rub together that I can recognize how shit of a game it is.

About the only thing I like from an art design standpoint is the mirelurks and yao guai, I think they're neat.

Back