Graphic Novels Thread - (What have you read, what do you want to read?)

Do you like graphic novels for the story, or the art?

• The story

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't like/read them

• I only read non-fiction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Morgan_

Duckerz
A few I've read:

upload_2020-7-18_2-26-40.png
Read this almost 10 years ago. This paired with Dune gave me my 2 best dreams, fittingly.
Sandman: Preludes & Nocturnes
Art/story= 7-10/10

upload_2020-7-18_2-34-47.png
Really liked this a lot as a teen. Need to finish the rest one day.
Saga
Art/Story= 8/7.5

upload_2020-7-18_2-44-59.png
Speaks for itself really :p
Ghost in The Shell (1989)
Art/Story= Elite Magnum Opus

(〜 ̄ △ ̄)〜︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

A few I want to get:

upload_2020-7-18_2-49-50.png
Artwork looks great and the story from what I've read is one of the best.
Fables: Legends in Exile

upload_2020-7-18_3-3-12.png
The story does seem neat, but I want it mostly for the art.

East of West

upload_2020-7-18_3-33-11.png
This one mostly for the art as well and the augment reality.
Anomaly

Your Favorites and recommendations are welcome!

I'm not much or a comic book fan, but I'm a huge fan of the Transformers universe and when I found out there was comics for the live-action continuity I had to get them. I also read Death Note, which to tell you the truth, it's pretty much the exact same as the anime but as a huge fan it was really fun to notice the small differences between the two. I actually just picked up Hour of the Zombie which is a zombie manga set in a highschool where they turn at random times apparently.

You seem to be a Trek fan, and I saw a graphic novel about the mirror universe and it had one of the best descriptions I've ever seen:

Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the I.S.S. Enterprise continuing its mission. To conquer strange new worlds, to enslave new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before!

Okay, I read a lot of comics so here I go;

Currently, I'm very into Venom and everything Cates has been doing with Marvel. We've got the KiB Crossover right now which has been a lot of fun so far.

Morrison's Green Lantern is a comic I can't make heads or tails of anymore, but I'm enjoying the ride. Sharp has drawn the whole series and he has gone from having a very loose style that is close to the 90's, to something where every page looks stunning. I'd love to see a whole mini where he does the later style.

Spencer's Spider-man continues to be a fun read, even if it is just popcorn entertainment.

Hickman's X-Men also continues to be great. I loved his Avengers stuff and he is currently writing one of my favourite X-Men books.

Speaking of X-Men, I decided to reread Morrison's X-Men after finishing it in October (it requires multiple reads).

In terms of graphic novels, I'm currently reading Watchmen and Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. Watchmen is a reread for me as the last time o read it was about 10 years ago.
Swamp Thing is also great, even through I'm not really that far into it.

Stuff I'll like to read, well there's Akira which I have some of the volumes to and Sandman which I've heard is fun.

Also I want to read the next Swamp Thing run which starts in a couple of months.

Really liked this a lot as a teen. Need to finish the rest one day.
Saga
Image has some gooood fuckin' in 'em:smug:
Favorite comic book series and standalones:
1. Blackest Night: I only picked this up because of the Green Lantern movie, but upon reading it (the first book), made me hate the film. Still, this series was my introduction to Green Lantern and DC lore and will always have a special place in my heart.
2. Green Lantern & Green Lantern Crops: the Geoff Jones and Ethan Van Schiefer run.
3. The Goon: Absolutely beautiful. Written and drawn by the same dude, takes place in the 20s' or 30s', and the art resembles it. Eric Campbell (or Powel)'s art style looks like Norman Roswell but made with colored pencil and ink. The libraries I found them in only had omnibuses 1-3, don't know if there's a 4 but I don't think it ended with a cliffhanger. Anyways, The Goon is structured like Adventure Time. It starts off as a goofy comedy but evolves into a plot-heavy drama. Can't recommend enough.
4. Identity Crisis: Good murder mystery drama. Was the main foundation for Blackest Night.
5. The Sculptor: An asshole trades his life to the grim reaper for the power to sculpt anything. He's what you'd expect from a millennial but he's not too insufferable to make you put the book down.
6. The White Donkey: An auto-biography about an Afghanistan veteran.
7. AVP: Archie vs. Predator: Yes.
Veronica and Betty have a 3 way with the Predator.

They don't. But really, who gives a shit? It's not like Happy Tree Friends where the ultra violence is more disturbing because of the cute animals. Seeing Archie characters' heads explode and spines being ripped out has the right amount of edge and comedy.
8. Siberia 56: Sci fi horror about the history of doomed expeditions to the ice planet Siberia 56.
9. Zombies: A History of Decay: May have botched the title, but this is a good saga of zombie comic.
10.Kingdom Come: an essential DC story written by a now horrible man.
11 & 12. Leaving Megaopolis and Escaping Megaopolis: A mini series(?) written by another sociopath. Superhero satire about heroes who are cursed and brainwashed into murderous psychopaths, killing everyone in the limits of their city; Megaopolis.
13. Tom Strong: Tom Strong! Feel good series about a superhero family whose other members I like to call: Misses Strong, Lil' Strong, Bot Strong, Ape Strong, and the bastard son: Wrong Strong!
14. Batman: Gotham County Line: Supernatural thriller costarring Dead Man.
15. Once Upon a Time in France: An auto-biography about a crooked metal tycoon who was both a Nazi informant and financed the resistance. Granted, I skimmed through it but it's worth listing here.
16. Ender's Game: I've only read Ender's Game as a Marvel Comic. The art is very good, loved their battle-room armor.
17. Ender's Game: Formic Wars: Prequel to the above mini series (the story was split into two books, just like this one). Liked Ender's Game, liked this one too. Even the different art style.
18. Bone: If you were in the 6th grade in 2008, you know.
19. Ice Cream Man: Lovecraftian elder-god terrorizing the mortal plain in the form of an ice cream vender. His equally powerful brother; Kaleb, in the form of a cowboy, is in an eternal struggle to thwart his dastardly shenanigans. At first, the Ice Cream Man did what he did to teach lessons, like the Twilight Zone. But immediately after book 1, he goes out of his way to fuck with, and straight up murder, people. It's IT for the modern age.
20. Paper Girls: Time traveling 80s' girls. Good art. References. Has the chance to become sjw, but it was good from when I stopped reading.
There's more good comic books I've read throughout the years, but can't remember them.

Comics I wish to see one day, besides looking them up in google images:
1. The Mask: know all about the Dark Horse series but I still want to hold one of the omnibuses with my own hands.
2. The Thing: official tie in comic series and one-off.
3. Afterlife with Archie: The one that got away. I've only ever seen that book once and in the FIRST time I've visited a certain library when my family first came to Colorado. It wasn't until I checked out AVP and looked it up at home did it peek my interest. Since that day, I have longed to be reunited with After with Archie, to finally see how the Riverside gang endures the zombie apocalypse.

I was a Moon Knight lunatic for a time. Good shit.

The classic 80's run is great if you want pulp noir set in the backdrop of New York at its most gritty and dangerous. The Warren Ellis 2014 series is great if you want Hotline Miami meets Hellboy.

The Image comic series Low by Rick Remender is a great underrated non-cape comic also.

Considering that this is a fallout fan website, I assume everyone here has read All Roads (I think that’s what it was called), but if you haven’t read it I can’t recommend it enough. If only because it shows what New Vegas actually looked like, unhindered by gamebryo limitations.

Also, if there are any metalocalypse fans here, there were a couple of comics written that were pretty good. Frankly it’s a shame they weren’t episodes. I especially recommend the mashed potatoes Johnson one.

Considering that this is a fallout fan website, I assume everyone here has read All Roads (I think that’s what it was called), but if you haven’t read it I can’t recommend it enough. If only because it shows what New Vegas actually looked like, unhindered by gamebryo limitations.

Also, if there are any metalocalypse fans here, there were a couple of comics written that were pretty good. Frankly it’s a shame they weren’t episodes. I especially recommend the mashed potatoes Johnson one.

All Roads is fantastic. It offers a lot of needed depth to Benny and the Chairmen. It actually makes me disappointed by Benny's performance in game. Comic Benny is a lot more intimidating and intelligent whereas game Benny can come off a bit buffoon esque.

I have not even played the first two games yet lol
I will check that out though.

That book was the reason I picked up the collector's edition.

Anyway, just finished reading the Venom arc of ultimate Venom. This is my first time reading all the way through, it's still my favourite version of the character however. It was always my favourite Venom story (even if by now, I'd only read half of it).
I really love the structure and how it essentially condenses 50 issues worth of story into six issues, even if it is heavily decompressed within those six issues.

I'm gonna continue with this series until I run out of the books I already own, which is a decent 30 books anyway, so it may take a while.

Just picked this up off amazon for $20, two adaptions of Elric stories by Phillip Druillet and James Cawthorn. I've only stolen a few glances but the artwork is beautiful.

I have read Watchmen, Dc: the new frontier, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Final Crisis, Spiderverse, Multiversity and Secret Wars(2015) at least 3 times apiece. Mostly because they're all really good and engaging stories.

Fables is absolutely top notch stuff. Simply fantastic. Altho the ending feels a bit rushed.
So many different recognizable eras where the dynamics completely change, lots of character arcs and the like. The pages get a bit hard to read during the war storyline but it's worth it.

Fables_thumb%25255B8%25255D.jpg

Just ignore that shitty Telltale game.

Back