Gun Control

Freedom is a buzzword.

But there isn't stability without freedom. Politically, economically, dictatorships suffer, and are, in turn, destroyed by either the People or poor decisions on the part of the leader.

"People choose stability over freedom"? Why did we revolt, then? Because merchants wanted freedom from British taxes, really.

And the idea that stability is somehow separate from freedom now? You yourself say "The majority of people feel more content with their current situation, even if a possible change would hold the prospect of improvements". If we took away rights, that would inherently destabilize the norm.

With your idea of "people are fine with where they are now", I wouldn't understand how legislation would work. If everything was fine to everyone, there would be no need to make new laws or adjust previous ones.

Yes, there can be plenty of stability without freedom, if we use our modern concept of critizise-who-ever-you-want definition of freedom. Societies worked and flourished for thousands of years under what we consider today as very opressive regimes, like monarchies, military leaderships and even the often favourabily looked up on greek and roman democracy, was not really about "freedom". The Romans existed for generations as empire with dictators and practically dictators. Egypt, Persia, all of the European kingdoms existed for centuries with kings and religous rulers that held close to absolute power over their people. I am not placing a value on those, just giving historic examples. I very much enjoy to live under a modern democracy, but historically speaking, those kind of societies as we see them today, are a very recent invention when you consider what kind of life people used to have for the last 14 000 years.

And this wasn't just accepted because people have been dumb or morons compared to the average person today. Drastic changes, happen usually when people have no alternative, or after a very climatic event like wars and catastrophes. This is is easily to forget when you consider how safe and secure the live of the average person is today. But 1000 years ago, things looked a bit different. For people in the medieval ages, the aristocracy actually was a point which represented stability. And when ever a king or the nobility suddenly disapeared, it could lead to very chaotic conditions.

Changes like we saw them in the US with the war for indepdence are the exception rather then the rule. And diplomatic solutions like we see them today, to settle conflicts, are a relatively new invention and have been rather rare in ancient and medieval times. It was a legitimate manner to settle scores with combat and limited wars. Wars, fighting and conflict have been so common and accepted in ancient societies that the concept of PTSD is largely uknown trough out ancient times.

We pretty much live in the most liberal and free time that this world has ever seen in human history since the first time people actually gathered together to build nations and large communities.

With your idea of "people are fine with where they are now", I wouldn't understand how legislation would work. If everything was fine to everyone, there would be no need to make new laws or adjust previous ones.
It's a gradual system, I didn't say changes never ever happen. But this isn't about happyness. It's about how much the people are willing to accept a change in their current society. You certainly wouldn't have seen a president talking about gay marriage in the 18th century.

But those changes that we're talking about right now usually don't happen every half a year or every month. Look at how every democratic parliament today is tailored to a gridlock. And this is actually a good thing! For the most part. Because again, at the end of the day what almost everyone values the most, is stability be it with politics, the economy or well anything really. You don't want laws that radically change everything to pass the parliament day after day making it impossible to govern the state. Again, situations like revolutions are extremes, they are not the norm in a society. And it takes a lot to get people to turn their own society upside down. Even if they know, that their current one is shitty!

Blame it on our lizard brain that is used on a world with a nature that hardly ever changes (short term) or deviates from clear cycles, with seasons and routines which make it easy to gauge risks.

"People choose stability over freedom"? Why did we revolt, then? Because merchants wanted freedom from British taxes, really.
I am pretty sure that propaganda and years of persuading by the patriots did their part as well. Who knows how things would have actually turned out if the Boston Massacre never happend, which was exploited and exagerated by the patriots to fuel the revolutionary war.

Last edited:
at the end of the day what almost everyone values the most, is stability be it with politics, the economy or well anything really. You don't want laws that radically change everything to pass the parliament day after day making it impossible to govern the state.

And that's why we'll never see gun laws change that drastically in the US. People want stability, and that stability, for hundreds of years, has been barely regulated ownership of guns, including what amounts to paramilitary weaponry.

I wouldn't say never. I am sure some 200 years ago if you told someone that one day, the US would have a black president supporting a female nominee who's speaking in favour of LGBT rights, they would have thrown you in a madhouse.

But you're right. Under the current condition, you definetly won't see any drastic changes to US gun laws. If any at all.

Societies worked and flourished for thousands of years under what we consider today as very opressive regimes, like monarchies, military leaderships and even the often favourabily looked up on greek and roman democracy, was not really about "freedom".
Not too long ago, the same man who smashed the Husein statue with a sledge hammer, now laments the loss of stability and order that came with the ~loss~ of the regime... Such that he'd have him back if it were possible. The man has taken his family out of Baghdad for safety ~and moved them to Beirut! :crazy:

*https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ledgehammer-to-saddams-statue-wants-him-back/

Maybe we should improve welfare programs in the US... to point where they help but aren't just money drains...
I'd say decidedly not. We've got third and fourth generation welfare families here; impossible to extricate from the system, and who haven't the slightest inkling notion of wanting to leave and be self-sufficient, and no concept [nor shame] that it's parasitic. It is simply become the way of life. Families here teach their children to panhandle as a de-facto profession now. They inhabit our street corners in shifts. They treat it like a 9-5 job, and often make more in a day than those tossing them coins... [and I'm talking $30 per hour!] ensuring that they will NEVER give it up, and that their their kids grow up with no other concept of daily life.

*All this and state paid free food. More money is not the answer; it's a greater incentive to stay.

**Do you know that they give out free cell phones here? People are playing phone games near the traffic lights while awaiting the stop signal, when their children (equipped with buckets) can then march past (and in between) the stopped cars asking for alms.

Voluntary homelessness and welfare abuse is one of the bigger problems we have... and I think that expanding it will only make it a bigger problem than it already is. The clock is already ticking away, and has been for years.

Pawel_Kuczynski_Drawings_32_zpsdwrqem2v.jpg

Last edited:
We've got third and fourth generation welfare families here; impossible to extricate from the system, and who haven't the slightest inkling notion of wanting to leave and be self-sufficient, and no concept [nor shame] that it's parasitic. It is simply become the way of life.

What happened to American humility, and the idea that it was your fault you were poor and you should take responsibility to bring yourself out of it?

I mean, we certainly had it in the Great Depression. That was a much worse situation than now, as well. So what happened between then and now that made being poor a viable way of life?

What happened to American humility, and the idea that it was your fault you were poor and you should take responsibility to bring yourself out of it?

I mean, we certainly had it in the Great Depression. That was a much worse situation than now, as well. So what happened between then and now that made being poor a viable way of life?
Well... the fact that being poor is a viable way of life?

We have not always been the most equality-friendly, but we have always been the most free, overall.
How does "the most free, overall" country in the world also have the world's second highest incarceration rate? And the patriot act? What about legal torture? Was it also "the most free, overall" country when human beings could still be property while other countries had already abolished slavery?

They treat it like a 9-5 job, and often make more in a day than those tossing them coins... [and I'm talking $30 per hour!] ensuring that they will NEVER give it up, and that their their kids grow up with no other concept of daily life.
Beggars make ~ $6,000 a month? Where do I sign up?

We had [and got rid of] that decades ago; along with the draft.

Of course. Felony charges IRRC, might strip gun privileges rights for life*. But a database check doesn't stop someone from having another buy the weapon for them.

*https://www.learnaboutguns.com/2008/07/28/gun-rights-for-convicted-felons/

https://www.learnaboutguns.com/2008/06/23/gun-ownership-is-a-right-not-a-privilege/

Yes you had the draft etc. but how about re-instating it as a prerequisite for getting a firearm for your home?

I was talking about getting ammo in Switzerland, not the US situation.

I was talking about getting ammo in Switzerland, not the US situation.
Aha, I misunderstood;:ok:
due in part to "How about a similar system for US too".

I don't think a reinstated draft is a good idea. Conscription in general is pretty vile IMO, but with today's [our] 18-25 year olds, I think it could be downright dangerous for our own side.

Ah, the famous american individualist attitudes of 'well it must be my fault' continues ...

People stoped listening to Ayn Rand I would say.

It led to the new deal.

If you want to steer american society into a catastrophe at full force? Sure. Just continue to explain people that poverty is entirely their fault and all they have to do, to improve their situation is to simply work hard(er) - Millions of Americans are working harder than ever just to keep from falling behind (...)As workers are devalued, many need multiple jobs to make a middle income. Those kind of things make for good bed time stories. The reality looks different however. You could as well tell people to play the lottery, because everyone has a chance to win.
A part of my family in Serbia lives in poverty, my aunt who's approaching her 70s now, sure didn't chose the colapse of the government in the early 1990s, a civil war and an immense cut in her pension, corruption by the political elites and growing prices on imports. What should she do? Work harder? I would love to hear how the poverity she's experiencing now despite of full employment for 40+ years AND raising two childrens on her own, is her fault.

The Great Depression.
(...)With unemployment rates exceeding 25 percent, it was obvious that most of the unemployed were not responsible for their plight. Yet the ideal that success came to those who worked hard remained in place, and thus those who were unemployed generally felt a severe sense of failure. The incidence of mental health problems rose, as did problems of family violence.
http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Great_Depression.aspx

I'd say decidedly not. We've got third and fourth generation welfare families here; impossible to extricate from the system, and who haven't the slightest inkling notion of wanting to leave and be self-sufficient, and no concept [nor shame] that it's parasitic. It is simply become the way of life. Families here teach their children to panhandle as a de-facto profession now. They inhabit our street corners in shifts. They treat it like a 9-5 job, and often make more in a day than those tossing them coins... [and I'm talking $30 per hour!] ensuring that they will NEVER give it up, and that their their kids grow up with no other concept of daily life.
[/spoiler]
Anecdotal evidence, or have you actually experienced severe poverty in your life? Maybe in combination with mental health problems, like depressions? Abusive parents that not only neglected you in your childhood but also didn't place much value on education? I don't mean this as attack, I am just curious about your background. And, yes, some poor people are lazy, just like lots of rich people.

Beacuse I feel this whole idea stems from a capitalistic view and a lack of empathy by so called 'development experts' who argue, the poor just don't want development. In my opinion, however as we can see now, this isn't an idea that can sustain itself for ever. I am not anti-capitalist in the sense that I want to see a communist regime. But 30% of the worlds population consumed 40% of the worlds resources so far. Just to keep this american/european standard of capitalist living with excessive consumption and production alive. I have yet to see someone explain to me how that 'everyone can be succesfull trough hard work', actually works in real live, with a planet that has limited resources.

There is only so much oil, minerals and food that you can harness. If you're farm colapsed due to a changing climate for example, no amount of hard work can prevent your crops from dieing when the landscape turned in to a desert. Or you could take energy consuption and supply as example. You could cover the entire surface of the earth with solar panels and calculate with an energy rate of 4% each year that the limit would be reached by the 2250s. Not even a dyson sphere could provide limitless energy and growth. You have to take a look where we experience in nature the groth rate we see currently in the financial sector. Usually when things change in a very sweeping event. Every scientist worth his salt, explains that our current economical model is heading full force in a disaster if drastic changes aren't made. Yet, we continue to listen to economists and development experts explaining us how growth is going to save us.

And yet, we still continue to believe that this capitalist model of 'everyone has a chance to be succesfull', is a real model for everyone. China, India, Africa, South America, all they have to do, is to adopt the American way of life and to blame poverty on the poor I guess.

Last edited:
Your problem is that you only pick extremes. You should investigate the intermediates instead. You'll find way more correlation there.
Can you suggest some intermediates?
I have picked MEDC's that are similar to the USA, naturally, since I am not gonna just compare America with some random LEDC.
Besides, the statistics you quote are always flawed since no country on earth uses the exact same metrics to report their crime rates. Definitions are different, most notable the inclusion of suicide in murder & violent rates for instance. This creates huge differences.
All these countries in Europe use different metrics then. They all have lower homicide rates and gun crime rates than America. America uses different metrics and it still has vastly higher homicide and gun crime rates. Still proves gun control works in Europe.

You seem to think of the US - model as the ideal one for everyone.
I'm done discussing things with you.

After saying (and repeating) that my "perfect" gun legislation for europe would be very different from my "ideal" gun legislation for the USA, you come up with this?

You're utterly wasting my time.

Never said that.
I didn't say you did, I asked a question.

We're not having the debate if it is fair or not, but that you can't even have that debate in the first place with the gun-nuts.
And yet you're having that debate right now, aren't you?
Are you saying I'm not a gun nut? ;)

Yes, a few idiots always ruin the fun for the rest of us. But that's something that you have to deal with in a functioning society. Unless, you say that we should get used to all sorts of people geting killed, injured etc. and also dealing with the issues you named.
In broad strokes: yes, I do believe a moderate progressive approach from a responsibilization point of view is the way to go. Average Joe Sixpack should not be punished for the transgressions of a few.

I am with you on some topics, like surveilance - this alone could fill a topic for it self, I would like to see the NRA once rally the masses, at someting like the patriot act the same way they do when it comes to guns. Sometimes I almost think they would even vote for a character like Stalin if all he promised them was to never ever touch their guns ... almost.
Why would the NRA do that? They are an organization with a singular purpose. The people in the organization only agree on one thing. Branching out and using that organization for something else is how you break the support for your organization.

The NRA has no incentive to do any of this.

<NRA hate video>
CDC:
You know, telling a government funded organization that it cannot use its funding to further the agenda of a political party, is a good thing?
They are still free to do research and they are still free to publish statistics and their analysis. They are just not allowed to say "we should ban guns".
Do you know who's the last person to have pulled funding for firearms related violence? Obama, after his famous "executive orders to combat gun violence". Do you know why the research got nipped in the bud? Because it was looking like the outcome would not have been in his favor. The last CDC & FBI published statistics actually favor a pro-gun narrative.

ATF records:
Background checks for acquiring of guns are supposed to be DESTROYED by law and are not to be kept. Why? Because the right to bear arms is linked to defense against tyranny in their legislation. How much opposition can you hope to give any tyrannic government or invader if they can just boot up a little database which tells you who bought which guns and where they are stored?
You might not agree with the fact this is necessary, but if you aim for the guns to be useful fighting tyranny, then you sure as hell have to agree the records shouldn't be able to be used to track down gun owners.

How big is that danger and how realistic is that scenario with the US?
I think most people didn't see it coming when Hitler, Stalin & Mao started murdering people by the millions. It's hypocritical to think that either humanity has changed and would be unable to do that again or that we are smarter and that we would be able to act in time.

Genocides are still a thing, worldwide sadly.
My point is, that to make an actuall difference, you need a hell of a lot more armed civilians then you currently have in the US or in most western nations.
Do you? Were Belgian, French & Polish resistance forces in the second world war were not relevant? There weren't that many of those guys either. They sure made a difference, though.

For me personaly, the BEST(!) protection of a constitution, liberty and democracy, today, are educated citizens that actually place some value in the constitution that goes further then lip service. We are not facing wars and conflicts these days, but demagoguery and mass surveilance. And here, guns are completely ineffective. Even after Snowden, and many other incidents where the constitution has been directly violated, we havn't seen people using their weapons to protect it.
If you carry a gun for self-defense, you hope you will never need to use it. But if you do end up needing it, you have it within reach.

You say the conflicts we face do not require guns or that guns have no influence on them, but which group of people is easier to repress? The ones where there are rifles hanging over the fireplace and the house is populated with people who know how to use it? Or the house where anything pointy has been removed for "the greater good"?

If you look at peaceful unarmed protests in the US recently, you see police brutality. You see a scumbag cop walk by sitting people and spray them in the face with mace.
When you look at peaceful ARMED protests in the US, cops are extremely respectful and entirely unprovocative.
And if you say that guns have not been used in protection of given rights, you are wrong. See what the Oathkeepers did during many of these protests. I might not agree with them, but they had a de-escalating effect on the violence.

But people have seemed to conveniently forget that freedom is earned through internal sacrifices as well. Freedom can only exist when you are willing to tolerate views that oppose your own, when you’re willing to give up some of your desires for the sake of a safe and healthy community, when you’re willing to compromise and accept that sometimes things don’t go your way and that’s fine.
Sure, but there we differ in what we should protect and how.
The damage done by giving up these gun rights (or privileges in Europe) is viewed (by gun nuts such as myself) as being higher than the cost to society in keeping those rights.

The problem here is that there is no way to quantify these freedoms. Nor the damage done.

Not really. It's the escalation of military tech. Even though we have automated drones, missiles, tanks and all that, for the most part (globally) we fight wars with infantry. And infantry uses guns, for the most part. So weapon research is still looking into how guns can be better designed to kill more people better.
Artillery and air support are responsible for 80-90% of all battlefield casualties in modern warfare.
Small arms are an important part of fighting mostly because our current morals do not allow us to employ the alternative tools on things where civilians might be present. If we had no such scruples, then artillery and air support would be responsible for 99.99% of the casualties of war.

You can see how this is a problem. Military tech in the hands of un-screened people = eventual disaster.
Who said anything about unscreened? Even the very gun friendly USA has largely implemented background checks?

The question is if they check for the right things.

Do you see the other 20% here taking up arms and fighting their government? For the rights of others? I don't. People usually don't work like that. We all value freedom and liberty, but only very very few people ACTUALLY take up actions if they have an alternative.
Tell that to the people who mobilized to go fight in the Middle East (ISIS, Kurdish resistance, and so on). If you look at wars like Korea or the Spanish revolution, a very large amount of the fighting forces were foreign volunteers.

I prefer to believe that for internal struggles, even more people would take up arms.

This means that we have also to accept decisions that might not seem great for us.
So if people vote to eat you for lunch, you'll accept that and do your part for society? :)

Simply because you have a majority, doesn't make you right. Some ideals are worth fighting for, even if you are a minority.

Weapons are inanimate objects. They hold no true power. You guys constantly say how weapons by them self don't do anything. Except, when it comes to defending freedom, liberty and the constitution? You can't have both worlds, I am afraid. People wield weapons. People defend constitutions and rights. Not weapons. A constitution is just a piece of paper that holds no true power and weapons don't decide what people think or how they feel about something.
No, we say guns aren't responsible for killings. But guns are tools of huge potential power.
Quite frankly, guns have done more for equality than any other thing in the history of man. After all, guns made a nobleman or rich man vulnerable to the common man. It can change the balance of power between a 120kg boxer and a frail young woman. We take this for granted today, but it was a huge game changer.
But guns have no will of their own. They are tools and not responsible for their misuse. We do not praise the gun which killed Osama, why do we blame the gun in spree shootings?

Isn't there some conceived notion nowadays that the first slave owner was black? I never studied slavery in depth.
There is still slavery in Africa and the Middle East to this very day.

The first slave traders on the European shores were Africans. And of the slaves shipped to the Americas, most of them were rounded up by other Africans, not Europeans.

Can you suggest some intermediates?
Belgium, France, Germany, Czech Republic, Norway, Finland, Italy, Austria,...
They make for more interesting observations as they are more similar in culture & wealth.

Just taking american statistics means you combine both the rural areas with hellholes like Detroit. That makes it very problematic to analyse.

All these countries in Europe use different metrics then. They all have lower homicide rates and gun crime rates than America. America uses different metrics and it still has vastly higher homicide and gun crime rates. Still proves gun control works in Europe.
Apples & oranges.
The largest hotspots of gun crime in the USA are also the places with the strictest gun laws...

Aren't doomsdaypreppers supposed to prepare for the worst btw? How will you defend yourself if you don't arm yourself?

I'm done discussing things with you.

After saying (and repeating) that my "perfect" gun legislation for europe would be very different from my "ideal" gun legislation for the USA, you come up with this?

You're utterly wasting my time.

Ok then.

I suppose that was the last point I had to answer here. Maybe I should 'tag team' with Crni Vuk and help him tackle those walls of text aimed at him.

Ah, the famous american individualist attitudes of 'well it must be my fault' continues ...
People stoped listening to Ayn Rand I would say.
Anecdotal evidence...

This departs quite a bit from gun control:
Not anecdotal, but rather a decade's daily exposure to it, and continual amazement at what must be seen to be believed. Like a whetstone, it makes one jaded to a razor keen edge on the topic.

The old world [view] is gone, and where once parents would organize a school bake sale or other event to raise money for a school project, now they will simply picnic on a city median, with their kids (and possibly their friends kids); panhandling all day, possibly all week from every car that stops at the intersection. I would say allegedly for something like school uniforms or such, (if indeed anything at all).

At least one card carrying vagrant roosts on almost every major intersection in downtown New Orleans, and almost every intersection in the commercial side of the French Quarter. Bad things can happen to [basically] good people, but here it is exceedingly the case that the person you see [or God help you ~give money to] will be there every day for months... It's a booze teat, and most exhibit zero desire, or incentive to walk away from it, nor to seek out better circumstance for themselves.

I kid you not, it is a shockingly common occurrence in New Orleans to step over sleeping people on the sidewalk. If you try to offer them food, they will ask for money instead; order them food in a restaurant, and gain the enmity of the restaurant, and as soon as you are out of sight [conscience assuaged], they will try to trade back the food for the money you paid for it; this from the personal experience of myself and others known to me who have tried. This is ENTIRELY by their own choice that they remain so. This city rarely has harsh weather ~even in winter, and those few nights of the year when the temps turn deadly, the city homeless shelters open up for free to all. The city is filled with abandoned houses to sleep in; there are three in my own block. Every winter we get fires in the city because the homeless set the houses ablaze during the night [presumably by negligent accident, but who knows].

There are people that will nurture a meal-ticket wound ~by not letting it heal; it makes them pitiable to the tourists; it increases their panhandling income.

Alternatively... [the con artists] I knew of a woman (seemingly in her 80s) that would [expertly] beg hotel guests as they came and went... As they passed, she would weakly exhale "...h..hhheelp meh" with an open palm held out; and I would sometimes see husbands or wives stop 20 feet past her, break down, and walk back to hand her their money. At the end of the night, she would trade 1's & 5's for 100's [plural] in the strip bar across the street from the Royal Sonnesta Hotel. Yes this grand hotel has a huge strip club not fifty feet directly across from their lobby front door. These people generally qualify for ~and accept state welfare stipends and disability checks; with which they acquire food and housing for free, but they have cellphones, and cars, and flatscreen televisions, and often even cable/satellite subscriptions [sometimes the dishes are actually installed on rent controlled public housing (!!?) ~where the rent might be as low as $16 a month... but the cable bill could be 5 times that amount per month ~if it's legally installed that is, and anyone who can afford that, is not supposed to be living in the housing complex].

It is parts of Atlas Shrugged come to pass, but in ways worse than she ever imagined. The culture here is complicit with this, and people are gaming the system wholesale as a way of life, in tandem with the new cultural norm (in addition to begging from the State) of begging from everyone they see on the street. Living off the State charity has become the only life they know or care for. Their children grow up perceiving the world this way, and when they are eligible, they (or their parents) apply for their own benefits; and the cycle repeats.

http://spectator.org/36566_new-welfare-swindle/
http://truthinmedia.com/welfare-recipients-in-new-york-can-now-earn-more-than-teachers/
http://www.cheatsheet.com/personal-...stats-about-public-assistance.html/?a=viewall

If you can sell beer to thirsty people, someone around here will hire you to do it, and provide the beer. People can get jobs here if they want them badly enough... People here can easily invent their own jobs... There are a about a dozen people in the French Quarter [at least four of them I see almost daily] that make $20 to $30 an hour standing around letting themselves be photographed for tips [this is licensed by the city]... Some have constructed costumes, or performance props, but at least three of these people merely buy a can of spraypaint (yes hardware store spraypaint!), and spray their face and body in metalic silver or gold, and strike poses on the street.

One dresses up as Vader, and dances to the Village People song YMCA...

But the city is filled with those that are content decay on the city's park benches, and get drunk every night on charity alms. They don't want jobs, or a respectable home life; they want you to give them cash that they can trade for alcohol and cigarettes. People will sit in droves on the sidewalks and benches here, watching street vendors and performers make sales, only to then approach them begging for money... They obviously have [free!?] money, how dare they not share it.

Last edited:
Do you? Were Belgian, French & Polish resistance forces in the second world war were not relevant? There weren't that many of those guys either. They sure made a difference, though.
Hey what about Yugoslav, Russian, Ukrainian and other Eastern European partisans? They had a greater effect in their respective fronts and acted like actual military units. This made them available and useful as legitimate military units in operations, which only added to their strengths.

I believe a better question is will we or will we not have large-scale-vehicle control. If it can carry a few tons of cargo it must have extensive control and background checks. We must stop such vehicles from being in civilian hands.

Think of the children people.

I believe a better question is will we or will we not have large-scale-vehicle control. If it can carry a few tons of cargo it must have extensive control and background checks. We must stop such vehicles from being in civilian hands.

Think of the children people.
Shipping trucks are mass murders waiting to happen!!! How can we sell trucks unrestricted when they could so easily fall into the hands of maniacs!!!

Back