Hellgate: London is...

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by DirtyDreamDesigner, Oct 20, 2007.

1. DirtyDreamDesigner

DirtyDreamDesigner Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 15, 2005
    ..out. And it's not very good. Graphically it's really sub-par. I kept getting flashbacks of Daikatana for some reason. Sure there are some nice effects here and there, but all in all it's very bland, ugly, generic and uninspired. RPG-wise, you can pretty much forget about it, since this is a shallow action adventure game at best and an FPS at worst. Yes, combat is stat-based, but only on paper since in-game it's really more twitch based, and the interface is pretty horrible.

Still, I must admit I did get some pleasure out of the game. Most of it being mindless shooting/slashing and phat lewting, but there you have it.

Oh, and it's buggy. Not like RPG-missing-quest-item buggy, but why-the-hell-can-I-walk-through-this-character-sloppy-coding buggy.

2. Starwars

Starwars Mildly Dipped

Sep 17, 2006
    Hm, I've been sort of loosely interested in this. I'm not a huge fan of this kind of game, but I must admit that I really liked Diablo back in the day. Simple yes, but I thought it had an oustanding atmosphere. There are not many games with that perspective that scare me, but I have to say that I found Diablo quite scary back in the day. I'm a real wimp though.

Maybe I'll give the demo a go sometime. How does the whole setting/atmosphere work? Is it good stuff?

3. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Contains spyware, by the way.

4. DirtyDreamDesigner

Apr 15, 2005
    Remains to be seen. The potential is there but seeing how they handled the rest of the elements, I'm not too optimistic.

Oh, and for the record, I loathe Diablo.

5. slamelov

slamelov Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jul 29, 2006
    What kind of Spyware?

6. maximaz

maximaz Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 2, 2006
    It never really looked that great on any screens either. I thought they'd make it up with content and gameplay but I guess not. Still, I want to know what people who like Diablo think of it.

7. Dauthi

Dauthi First time out of the vault

Mar 13, 2007
    I got a blademaster on it to lvl 6. I really enjoyed the one line conversations with quest givers,you can tell alot of thought and effort was put into what they had to say. -LOL at this game.

8. DirtyDreamDesigner

Apr 15, 2005
    In-game advertising. In a demo. Fuck them.

9. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    i hope that's automatically removed if you do the subscription thing. if not, well, that's just stupid.

long ago, this game kinda interested me, but now? pffft, i'm not even going to play the demo.

10. Otsegoflesh

Otsegoflesh First time out of the vault

Oct 12, 2007
    i was kind of excited about this game but the demo was disappointing. graphics were really lame from a first person perspective (playing a gun type guy/ whatever) and accuracy was almost all stats based so the first person perspective didnt effect gameplay... why include it then? not having to reload was really weird too, not sure if i like that or not. rpg wise there were only like 4 stats to increase per level up and those are pretty class specific. moving around was cumbersome and awkward... i'll pass.

11. I_eat_supermutants

I_eat_supermutants Vault Senior Citizen

Feb 5, 2007
    I always assumed this was gonna be crap from the first time I've even seen any kind of game play.
    It looked like a clunky, bland, dungeon crawing, gun toting, steroid monkies "RPG" Never liked Diablo 2 for the same reasons.
    A bunch of action junkies can make a character, name it, customize the damn stats to their whim, and say they like RPG's.

Meh. Oh well, I'd give it a shake anyways. If it wasn't for the spyware.

12. SimpleMinded

SimpleMinded Vault Fossil

Jun 17, 2003
    It looks like if you enjoyed Diablo 2, you should enjoy this one. The game seems to have many of hte same mechanics.

However, watching my friend play, the environments looked awful. He would run through just about any box in his way and would break them from a good distance.

Still, looked like a fun diablo sequel

13. Martinez

Martinez First time out of the vault

Oct 4, 2007
    Take that back or I'm going to drop to my knees in front of teh computer and cry! :puppy-dog:
    Seriously, back in the days when I got my hands on Diablo I (it was pre-Fallout) I thought it was The Game. When the Butcher came out of his room the first time I nearly soiled myself. And I loved the atmosphere, darkness, creepy monsters and all. Diablo II was just weak... or maybe I was way past being able to like it...

14. DirtyDreamDesigner

Apr 15, 2005
    Diablo was the first step towards this world in which a game like Oblivion is considered an RPG.

Also, it sucked in and by itself.

15. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    Diablo was fine, learn to play, nuub.

16. Martinez

Martinez First time out of the vault

Oct 4, 2007
    I never thought of it as an RPG, just a good quest/ hack and slash game which at the time was pretty damn good. It's not my/our fault the gaming industry started selling us lemons and telling us it's candy...

17. Makenshi

Makenshi Ahoy, ye salty dogs!

Jul 28, 2006
    Extremely harsh words, DDD*... have some mercy...

Best. Post. Ever! :mrgreen:

* In Brazil , DDD stands for Distant Direct Call (phone service) :lol:

18. SL¥DE

SL¥DE Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Oct 21, 2007
    Spyware = fail

Oblivion = mediocre action game with stats. Only worth playing on PC for mods.

Diablo = Stupid Fun

19. Dracon M'Alkir

Dracon M'Alkir Vault Senior Citizen

Jul 19, 2004
    Heh, I recall we were talking about the Hellgate:London preview and I said it was going to be shit. :lol:

20. aronsearle

aronsearle Still Mildly Glowing

Oct 14, 2005
    Ive never heard Diablo called anything but a Hack n Slash.

I was actually going to buy this game, untill i read about this spyware crap = wouldnt touch it with a bargpole.