Hi-Res Patches for Fallout1&2 & the BIS Mapper

I sent an email to Silencer in case it did not upload correctly.
In the mean time I've uploaded it to Mediafire here's the link

Edit
It's now available at NMA.
Here the link to the patch in the NMA files section Fallout2 Resolution Patch v1.1

Mash said:
Silencer has been quite busy lately, so sending it another admin, like Brother None, might be a better choice.

EDIT: Perhaps I am not doing something right or I misunderstood what this does, but when I change IGNORE_SCROLL_LIMITS to 0 I can still scroll way outside the original map.

killap said:
Mash said:
Silencer has been quite busy lately, so sending it another admin, like Brother None, might be a better choice.

EDIT: Perhaps I am not doing something right or I misunderstood what this does, but when I change IGNORE_SCROLL_LIMITS to 0 I can still scroll way outside the original map.

Thanks Killap I'll give Brother None a try. :)

IGNORE_SCROLL_LIMITS effects the distance you can scroll from the player. So it wont prevent you from scrolling outside the normal map border. The distance scrolled is also related to the size of the screen, so it will vary depending on the resolution. You can manipulate the distance scrolled in Timeslip's ddraw.ini with the variables LocalMapXLimit and LocalMapYLimit.
If you want to play around with the map borders there are MAP_LIMITS_YA, MAP_LIMITS_XA, MAP_LIMITS_YB, MAP_LIMITS_XB in the VARIABLES section which will effect how far you can scroll off map, setting these to there original values will bring the map boarders in a bit but will also effect how well the maps load.
The way the maps load are one of those thing I have to take another look at I think. :?

I see you did not get the dialog picture right.

At 0x44AF25 (US 1.02d) there is PUSH EAX. If you modify the code so that it always pushes 0x280 (640) instead of eax then it will work.

weak-ling said:
I see you did not get the dialog picture right.

At 0x44AF25 (US 1.02d) there is PUSH EAX. If you modify the code so that it always pushes 0x280 (640) instead of eax then it will work.

excellent find weak-ling. :clap:

With your permission I'll include it in the next release.
With your name up in lights of course. :D

For those who can't wait, the US version can be changed like this:

Open US.res in notepad.

Find and delete these lines
Code:
#skips DIALOG CHAR VIEW WHEN NOT TALKING HEAD
0044AF39	5	E896870800			FILL 90

and replace them with this

Code:
#Weak-ling's dialog NPC view fix
0044AF07	3	2B1DF0		      REPLACE 8D0C10
0044AF0A	6	C96A008D0C10	   REPLACE 8D93 7DFEFFFF
0044AF10	2	8D93		        REPLACE 89D0
0044AF12	3	7DFEFF		      REPLACE C1FA 1F
0044AF15	2	FF89		        REPLACE 2BC2
0044AF17	2	D0C1		        REPLACE D1F8
0044AF19	3	FA1F2B		      REPLACE 8D1401
0044AF1C	3	C2D1F8		      REPLACE 8D43 01
0044AF1F	1	8D		          REPLACE 68
0044AF20	4	14018D43	       640
0044AF24	2	0150		        REPLACE 9090

I'll post changes for the other version shortly

EDIT:
killap said:

I just read the IGNORE_SCROLL_LIMITS section of my README file.
And I didn't understand it either. :P I'll reword it in the next release. :)

I'm getting a black screen and an application error every time I go to Trapper Town in Klamath. Error message is:

The instruction at 004af46a referenced memory at 00000028
The memory could not be read from

This is on a pretty virgin SP2 install running inside Parallels Desktop running at any resolution I want, full-screen.

Any ideas, or just no respatch for me? :( It works great in the other areas I've gotten to so far in my new game...

jackmaninov said:
I'm getting a black screen and an application error every time I go to Trapper Town in Klamath. Error message is:

This is on a pretty virgin SP2 install running inside Parallels Desktop running at any resolution I want, full-screen.

Any ideas, or just no respatch for me? :( It works great in the other areas I've gotten to so far in my new game...

I just walked in and out of trapper town several times with no problems. So it may not be related to the patch.
Not familiar with Parallels Desktop, that's a Mac PC emulator right?
I assume you have tried different resolutions.
You could try panning your point of view more toward the centre of the map before entering trapper town. If the map doesn't load correctly, your point of view remains that of the previous map.

jackmaninov said:

Are you running my unofficial patch? If so, you are probably running an old version and should upgrade to the latest from the one in my signature. The issue you are describing was a problem in version 1.02.22 of my patch.

Re: Fallout2 High Resolution Patch

Mash said:
Version 1.1 is now out :D
It now supports the US, French and German 1.02d, UK 1.02e and the Chinese versions of fallout2.
It also includes a couple of additions and fixes.

Version 1.2 is now out :D
This version includes a fix for the Dialog NPC Screen, found by "weak-ling"
So now you can see who your talking too.

Wait... Mash, does this work with RP or not? Since RP goes over a fresh, unpatched install... If it does, I'd add that in the description...

killap said:
jackmaninov said:

Are you running my unofficial patch? If so, you are probably running an old version and should upgrade to the latest from the one in my signature. The issue you are describing was a problem in version 1.02.22 of my patch.

Hmm, I think I might have downloaded a bad version of the patch then. I just reinstalled it (manual install), it says its 1.02.24, but I downloaded it on the 31st when 1.02.25 was supposed to be out. On the rock in the game it says it was released on the 22nd though. Guess I'll try downloading again. Thanks! :)

jackmaninov said:
Hmm, I think I might have downloaded a bad version of the patch then. I just reinstalled it (manual install), it says its 1.02.24, but I downloaded it on the 31st when 1.02.25 was supposed to be out. On the rock in the game it says it was released on the 22nd though. Guess I'll try downloading again. Thanks! :)
NMA should be updated, but my sig always has the latest.

Back