Hi-Res Patches for Fallout1&2 & the BIS Mapper

Does anyone know what's going on with @Mash these days? I have not been able to hear back from him via email contact.

I just wish we had the source code for it :( Projects don't have to die if the source were released...

I was thinking about creating a larger font for F2, but then I realized that it just won't fit into inventory screen, etc.

I also run a quick search for Matt Wells on github/linkedin, but couldn't find anyone fitting Mash's profile.

Guess we're stuck waiting for falltergeist, which means some 3-4 years, probably.

I'm attempting, without much success, to add custom frm walls to the proto list.

I've set up the following folder structure (only custom dirs shown):
tree.jpg

I've extracted walls.lst and placed it in art/walls and I've extracted the other walls.lst and placed it in proto/walls.

I've added my own .frm file names to the art/walls/walls.lst and I can see the art resources in the mapper (so that part seems ok).
I've switched BIS mapper to librarian=1 and I can create new walls. when I quit the mapper, the new proto files are added to the proto/walls/walls.lst but no .pro file is created.

I'm apparently doing something wrong, but I can't seem to find how to fix this, nor can I find the solution in the various docs I've downloaded. Anyone got any hints?

...I'm apparently doing something wrong, but I can't seem to find how to fix this, nor can I find the solution in the various docs I've downloaded. Anyone got any hints?
I believe you need to have the "dev" folder set up exactly like this:
C:\Fallout2\dev\proto\walls

Thanks for the replies.

I've read the topic linked by Fat Luke (thanks!) and finally got it to work. For anyone else who tries to get this to work in the future, this is what worked for me:

I've created a new partition (F:) and reinstalled Fallout2, BIS Mapper and created the F:\Fallout2\dev\proto\... directories. I now have the following directory structure:
New-4.JPG

I've edited the following .cfg files:

F:\Fallout2\fallout2.cfg
[sound]
music_path1=F:\Fallout2\data\sound\music\
music_path2=F:\Fallout2\data\sound\music\

[system]
critter_dat=F:\Fallout2\critter.dat
critter_patches=F:\Fallout2\data

master_dat=F:\Fallout2\master.dat
master_patches=F:\Fallout2\data

F:\Fallout2\MY_MOD_FOLDER\Fallout2.cfg
[sound]
music_path2=F:\Fallout2\MY_MOD_FOLDER\data\sound\music\

[system]
critter_patches=F:\Fallout2\MY_MOD_FOLDER\data

master_patches=F:\Fallout2\MY_MOD_FOLDER\data

F:\Mapper2\mapper2.cfg
[mapper]
librarian=1

[sound]
music_path2=F:\Fallout2\MY_MOD_FOLDER\data\sound\music\

[system]
critter_patches=F:\Fallout2\MY_MOD_FOLDER\data

master_patches=F:\Fallout2\MY_MOD_FOLDER\data

And that finally got it working for me. Thanks a lot for the help!

Cheers

Last edited:
Not that I recall. I emailed him a couple times asking if he'd be willing to provide them.

Hi, I have a problem to get the mapper running with FO2 Steam version. I set everything up, as in the download description page (which is a little confusing, as it contains two instructions), but when I start the .exe my monitor goes black for about 3 seconds and then return to desktop.

You sure the paths in the mapper.cfg are all set correctly?

Well, yes, I even created a second FO2 directory, because I thought he couldn't handle 'Fallout 2', so I made 'Fallout2'.

Ok, it wasn't the paths, I had to change the language from English to German.

So I installed the cd release of Fallout 1, US 1.0.

Then I installed the US 1.1 patch.

Lastly, installed the High res patch ver 4.1.8 and the game gives me a loading screen and kicks me back to desktop.

Tried everything from resolution changes, compatibility, admin, sfall, color bit. NOTHING works, without fail. Did I do something wrong? Is the retail release incompatible?

Back