HL2-more than source was stolen

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Briosafreak, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Briosafreak

Briosafreak Lived Through the Heat Death

Dec 18, 2003

http://www.neowin.net/staff/creamhackered/halflife2/

On one hand the effort by the hackers shows tenacity and creativity, on the other hand this means i won`t be playing the game on christhmas, so if anyone knows of ways to find them or places that have the source and the compiled stuff please help Valve

For any information related to this, please send it to helpvalve@valvesoftware.com, or you can always send to gaben@valvesoftware.com as well.

2. Ozrat

Ozrat Antediluvian as Feck
    Orderite

Apr 2, 2003
    Shouldn't this be in the News forum even though it's not Fallout related?

3. Briosafreak

Dec 18, 2003
    I don`t think so, it`s not Fallout, Fallout community or post-apoc related, maybe if we had a Gaming forum it could be sent there, maybe one day

4. Pipboy2000

Pipboy2000 Companion to the Last Proton
    Orderite

Sep 29, 2003
    Holy crap... that sucks.... Well... for Valve.... hmm... *opens kazaa*..... ;-D

Thats nice to know, but god that must suck...

5. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Mildly Dipped

Apr 3, 2003
    Will this affect the release date in any way? I thought the release was to be around Christmas time (but, then again, the release date has been changed so many times). I wonder whether the source code and map builds is enough to conflict with the actual official game and thus necessitate change.

In a week, I predict markets in Hong Kong to be flooded with illegal Half-Life 2 copies for retail prices.

6. Malky

Malky Lived Through the Heat Death
    Orderite

May 7, 2003
    Interesting screenshots.

I hate hackers...they always ruin things. It's really not a cool thing.

I hope Valve deals with this.

-Malky

7. Briosafreak

Dec 18, 2003
    They are now talking about a spring 2004 release

8. Pipboy2000

Pipboy2000 Companion to the Last Proton
    Orderite

Sep 29, 2003
    "Hackers damage and ravage public and privately owned computer systems, stealing things for there own ends, these people, they're criminals."

Who said it, in what movie?

9. KillaKilla

KillaKilla Still Mildly Glowing

Aug 9, 2003
    Atleast they arent l337 hackers...

Hackers suck though...

10. SkynetV4

SkynetV4 Mildly Dipped

Jan 25, 2005
    They really crossed the line, this time. It's the first time I have witnessed such *I hate to use the word* CHUTZPAH. I would care more but my computer can't run HL 2 and I am pretty pissed at Valve because of Steam.

11. Paradroid

Paradroid First time out of the vault

Jun 19, 2003
    Some guy from the movie "Hackers"?

12. Sander

Sander This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Jul 5, 2003
    *Kicks everyone calling these people hackers*

Yes, I know it's TECHNICALLY correct to call those people hackers, however:

http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/H/hacker.html

That is the original meaning of the word hacker in realtion to computers.

http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/C/cracker.html
    That is how the media, and everyone else, has used it, and pretty much incorrectly. Sadly, people have actually adopted it, and it's in the dictionary. Bah.

As for people stealing source, bastards. It's the work of Valve, and their property, stealing it is just plain wrong. Not only that, but releasing it is much worse. If they had stolen it to show security leaks, I might've said "Okay".

Bah, and what is it with people having PCs with critical builds and such in contact with th einternet/outside world? THat's not really smart if it isn't going to be used.

13. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all

Apr 3, 2003
    Sander, stop saying those Dutch things.

And stop trying to get people to use incorrect English. I don't care for the fact that "metal" was originally used in reference to what we now call "classic rock", I still call the Stones "classic rock" and NOT "metal".

14. Sander

Sander This ghoul has seen it all

Jul 5, 2003
    Stop trying to make me stop saying things Kharn! Yeah! ;)

15. Wifi

Wifi First time out of the vault

Apr 3, 2003
    I fail to see the problem with the release. The code was stolen not deleted.

16. Malky

Malky Lived Through the Heat Death
    Orderite

May 7, 2003
    The Stones are definately not metal. Anyone who calls them metal is dumb. Yeah.

-Malk

17. Ratty Sr.

Ratty Sr. Formerly known as Ratty Moderator Orderite

Apr 23, 2003
    Well, these hackers did a bad, bad thing, but then on the other hand, wow, you gotta admire their l337 h4xXx0R $k1llz! How l337 do you have to be to get hold of the code of the most anticipated game on the planet? And then again, how dumb do you have to be to lose the most anticipated game on the planet? :D

18. MadDog

MadDog So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

May 6, 2003
    I don't know who, but someone in my school has a copy... grr. They were playing it the other night.

19. Ratty Sr.

Ratty Sr. Formerly known as Ratty Moderator Orderite

Apr 23, 2003
    I just found a beta on Overnet. I'll probably download it tomorrow.

20. Montez

Montez So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Jun 20, 2003
    As much as I hate stuff like this, you gotta wonder why the hell Valve had the computers with all the HL2 code on them hooked up to the internet, and why they were left alone for a long enough period of time for someone to download the whole thing. That's just pretty idiotic.