How did you discover Fallout ?

How about flash-esque cybernetics, like Ghost in the Shell technology? That way, you can hack yourself (or simply download the desired memories before wiping them locally) and experience the game all over again, while still being able to reclaim them later, and keep all the fond recollections of your youth without losing them for a single stint of reliving them! =D

I got into Fallout 2 while searching for a replacement for the Final Fantasy series, which began disappointing me in the Playstation era. Its open endedness and choice\decisions captivated me, although I almost quit multiple times from the initially steep learning curve for a teenager who hated to read.

a lot of good stories on here.

I know I'm gonna catch hell for this too.

A while ago my friend and I had a tradition of buying cheap old 2 player action games on ps2 and making a drinking game out of em.
FOBOS was found one day for 4.99 at a gamestop. It was bad, so bad it was fantastically entertaining while drunk. To this day all I have to say is "hup,hup,hup" . But something hit a nerve, it was the first time I had interaction with a virtual hooker, who charged me the duty of finding her pussy. The story was absolute dogshit but some of the characters pubescent humor aside had a glimmer of something I hadn't experienced in a gaming world. The crafting of new Junk weapons out of salvage was cool as were the "perks" and there were some interesting moments and "stuff" jammed in there somewhere. It was forgotten, fast forward to about 6 months ago when growing tired of replaying Borderlands and a friend mentioned Fallout 3. Saw it at a Gamestop GOTYE and bought it. In went disc, out went life. Addicted is a fitting word. It left me wanting more, found NMA, bought the originals and FNV, and enjoyed FO1. Still haven't started on 2,tactics, FNV yet as I have started modding.
Damn I love this IP.

I was used to games like Monkey Island, where finding nifty little items are important. Watching a friend of mine play Fallout, I was almost immediately enamored (in the game), and one of my primal memories of Fallout is the inventory screen :D
I insisted on trying (something I rarely do, since playing someone elses save is boring), and I marvelled at it all in notime. I obviously realized items in this game wasn't like the items of a puzzle-game, but this was unlike anything I had played before.
I didn't have a computer, nor consoles. I was a poor boy :I
As soon as I had a computer, borrowing his FO2 for "humongous installation" was pretty much instantaneous.
There was even correspondence, by snail-mail, for him to send me the FO-tactics disks, while I was studying away :D

Spoiled friend got "another game" AKA Fallout 2 somewhere around 1999-2001? He was younger than me and had the patients of a goldfish so he never made it passt the temple and decided to toss it on the pile. Bought it of him for close to nothing and here i am :P

Got FO2 from an abandoned corner, started playing it, some years later i played FO3 and NV, i love all of them, except for tactics, never liked it, now thanks to GOG, i can finally play FO1!

You mean how I discovered the greatest RPG ever? Well, I saw it at a friend and I got immediately hooked. There was something different about the game...
The combination of sheer brutality, funny dialogues and the retro atmosphere made me waste a lot of sleepless nights playing Fallout 2.
I am still to play another RPG with so many dialogue choices and so damn interesting story... :)

I found fallout 3 in the walmart bargain bin for 9.99. I thought it was a post apocalyptic fps based on the back of the case. I played it about a week after I brought it home and I was hooked. I finished it and went right out and bought new Vegas and I was blown away.

now I'm waiting for Amazon to ship fo 1

I was introduced to the series by fallout 2 in it's opening year but never finished it and time passed. Five years ago I bought an Xbox 360 for a very low price. I had hopes to sell it and the two controllers to net a nice 300% profit. Weeks pass as I wait for a buyer. A few moons after purchase, a friend lends me Fo3 to burn time instead of just staring at this Xbox. One hot night while nursing a cold, I notice the small graphic on the back of he Fo3 case depicting a leather clad gent with a dog. This appealed to my road warrior/ mad max fanaticism and I immediately popped the game in. I eventually acquired the GoTY and took back the Pitt. I got some new T51b armor, reacquired a lump of my brain, and even killed some aliens. New Vegas and associated DLCs took over as my default wasteland for a while. A few weeks ago, my main squeeze surprised me with the Fallout Trilogy pack. I still haven't finished Fo2 but I have started Fo1 as of a week ago and I'm currently impatiently waiting for Fo4.

I actually found Fallout when I read an article in a gaming magazine the mentioned it. I was curious and wondered why people were getting so hyped up over this game. Eventually my curiosity overtook me, and when the game came out, I bought it. I really enjoyed playing, even more so when the mods started coming out.

I had bought an Xbox when my cousin brought over Fallout 3 a week later (I didn't start playing video games until not to long ago relatively speaking) and I didn't like it at first. He then got me the GotY edition and I got sucked into the world. I love post-apocalyptic genre and the 1920s to 1960s era (Shows like Mad Men or Boardwalk Empire being my favorites) so it was like a dream come true.

I've only played New Vegas and Fallout 3, but I plan on playing the first two someday. And maybe that Xbox Brotherhood of Steel game. If I can find it.

Edit: Oh wait, did you mean the first game only? Sorry, my English is less then perfect and I misunderstood you.

The year was 1999. My best friend had a drifter-sort living in a room at his parents' farmhouse - one of the most interesting characters I've ever met (would fit right in Fallout). This guy got an old computer and covered in racing stickers ("to make it go faster"). He also got his hands on a copied CD of Fallout 2.

It soon found its way to my house for a little "humongous install" action and I played it over and over for 2 years until Tactics came out. It was cool, but not as cool as when shortly after my brother bought me Fallout (1). After finishing that I got my hands on a copy of Wasteland.

Tried Fallout 3 (well, beat it too) but it wasn't quite the same. Pre-ordered New Vegas, beat it 3 times. I don't think I'll play those games again, but I'm still playing 1&2+Tactics

Heh thats cool, "the guy on the couch" got you into fallout. I also like the racing stickers thing "to make it go faster". Sounds like quite a character.

mobucks said:
I also like the racing stickers thing "to make it go faster". Sounds like quite a character.

He had quite a lot of innovations, like how you can put a small cardboard box inside a stocking cap and when you wear it people think you have an afro at 10 yards :D

I started out with Fallout 3. I was in Wal-Mart, read the box and thought "meh what the hell?" I actually didn't like it at first and was thinking "the whole game is a concrete bunker?" but once I left the vault I was hooked on the environment, story was pretty lackluster (not as bad as a modern FF title though) but passable (on my first play at least). It was after that I went back to the originals then moved on to New Vegas.

I was working in a warehouse in 1998. A coworker, least likely to be a gamer, told me he played Fallout 1 between girlfriends. Told him id try it out, i was looking for a new game at the time anyway. A few weeks later i asked him about the game and if he still played. He honastly didnt know wtf i was talking about. I reminded him and he got that "oh that game! It was cool" look. He told me he was too busy impressing the ladies with speeding tickets to be playing.

I saw Fallout 2 in Best Buy for 10 bucks when I was in middle school, 6th grade? I remember seeing it in my dads game magazines and I decided to check it out. One of my friends had Fallout 1 and I think I got in 7th grade, he wasn't into the game at all and gave it to me.

Shortly after its release, a friend brought Fallout round to my house, convinced I'd like it. As soon as I encountered my first radscorpion I was hooked for life.

Back