How did you discover Fallout ?

Ok, heres mine.

Up until the time I got FO I tended to dislike RPG's.
One day, I was looking at the bargin shelf and saw the Fallout/Fallout 2 dual jewl case, and te power armour looked coo, plus the general post-appc setting seemed cool, and it was only $10 for both, so I bought them.
I installed, and played them, an loved it.
Then I discoverd melting raiders with my turbo plasma rifle.
An once I got to FO2, I discoverd whoring out female PC's at the den.............

I just have to quote myself and laugh at my typos, and elaborate a bit.

It was the markdown shelf in a targets electronics section and I was tagging along with my mom and got her to buy me the 1&2 dual box for like ten bucks, possibly late '99 probably more mid 2000

I was 11 years old when I discovered Fallout. I was reading various Doctor Who-related articles on Wikipedia when I found a small section discussing references in other media. It mentioned the TARDIS appearing in a random encounter in the original game. It lead to me reading the pages for Fallout 1 and 2 out of curiosity. I forgot about it for about a while until my dad mentioned playing Fallout 3 on the 360, which surprised me. I didn’t even know there was a third game, or that it was on a console I owned. I didn’t have a PC so I couldn’t play the originals at the time, but he assured me I didn’t need to play the originals to understand 3. I asked my dad if I could try it and he gave me it and New Vegas. I’ve been a fan of the series ever since.

I first learned of Fallout or Fo2 way back when, seeing screenshots from a gaming magazine I subscribed to as a kid. And even though I didn't have a computer that could run it, I remember the interest was there from the start. But it all started for me when Fo3 came out, some years later. The lore, aesthetic and story arcs, all resonated with me really heavily and I became pretty hooked on the franchise, making a point to try out the predecessors later. Since FO3 came out I haven't been able to depart from the sheer immensity of the game's lore and found myself wanting more of it, even when I took a long break from gaming.

Don't remember the first time I actually discovered Fallout, but when Im a big Elder Scrolls fan so I probably heard about Fallout shortly after discovering Tes which was when I bought skyrim for my ps.

I saw the trailer for FO3 and FO NV at E3 but didn't pay much attention to them as I only cared about turn based games back then. But those kept becoming fewer and further apart so I started playing action based games and liked them. Then one day I saw FO4 trailer at E3 and thought it looked good, but knowing there's no way of knowing how long that will take to come out I looked up the ones already out and watched Many A True Nerds FONV kill everything. So I decided to get as many fallout games as I could. I wasn't so sure about FO 1&2 at first, but the trilogy pack with tactics was so cheap I went for it. I ended up loving FO1 so much I put off playing FO2 to play FO 1.5 Resurrection.

I played Fallout 1 Demo in May 1997 :)
Back then when you bought a gaming magazine, it would come together with a CD full of the latest PC game demos. Miss those!

I got into Fallout when I was in high school in 2010. All the other guys on the drum line (yes, I was a band geek) were really stoked for New Vegas’s release, and so when it came out, I wanted to see what the hype was about. The whole concept of a post-apocalyptic game set in the Southwest really appealed to me. I picked up copies of both New Vegas and 3, and I fell in love with New Vegas (I liked 3 at the time, but I recognize it’s lackluster quality now). I became utterly obsessed. I went back and played Fallout 1 and 2 and really enjoyed them as well.

I read a PC magazine where there was an article about upcoming post apo title called "Fallout" and i fallen in love the second i saw a famous Scrapheap screenshot with container entrance.
And thus my love for Fallout have begun and it burns till this day. Actual Fallout, not this bethesda fanfic tier shit called 3/4/76.
Yes i have been a fan since 1997.. Feels like eons ago.

My friend had me play it. It was one of the first games on PS3 that I played. I had never seen a game with an inventory system, a leveling system, a massive unfathomably large map to explore with an immersive first person perspective, and an incredible soundtrack, so the game felt like 10 years ahead of its time for me. I was 10 years old, though.

My friend had me play it. It was one of the first games on PS3 that I played. I had never seen a game with an inventory system or a leveling system, so the game felt like 10 years ahead of its time for me. I was 10 years old, though.

Heh - as vastly different as FO3 is from 2 and 1, the experience is amusingly similar. I watched a friend play - he let me try it out - and I had never seen a game with an inventory system or a leveling system, so I was completely in! Just today I thought about it, with the huge expectations we have to games, and all the elements we take for granted: I was blown away by *an inventory* where I could gather *stuff*

I was probably 18 or so at the time though, but different times. Apart from the emerging violent adult games, most of us were used to Super Mario and such.

I learned about Fallout from pc gaming magazine called Level back in 1997. I played Junktown demo but I had no clue what to do, I wasnt used to play RPG games at that time. All started two years ago when Fallout 1 was released for free as part of the very same gaming magazine.

I’ve noticed quite a difference between the titles released by Bethesda and those released by Obsidian. Before I get crucified (Yeah yeah, “True to Caesar” and all that), I want to make it clear that I don’t see one company as better than another. (I will always say that Fallout 76 was a complete failure in just about everything it tried to do, however. And Bethesda should be ashamed of themselves for the business practices they’ve taken part in with it.)

I often watch games like Fallout for example here https://gameslikefallout.com/and play something similar))

See, in the early days of the franchise, it was up to Obsidian to provide everything for the games. That meant they had to create the engine, code it themselves, create their own assets, all with a relatively low budget. Their strongest point, however, was not in the gameplay or visuals themselves, but in the stories that can be told within them. The original Fallout games had a very beginner-hostile design, as they were played in a turn-based formula in an isometric world where death came swiftly and without mercy. But once you got a hang of it, players realized just how many choices could be made. And every choice mattered! It was obvious that Obsidian’s Fallout was about the freedom of player choice, and the consequences of those choices.

I’ve noticed quite a difference between the titles released by Bethesda and those released by Obsidian. Before I get crucified (Yeah yeah, “True to Caesar” and all that), I want to make it clear that I don’t see one company as better than another. (I will always say that Fallout 76 was a complete failure in just about everything it tried to do, however. And Bethesda should be ashamed of themselves for the business practices they’ve taken part in with it.)

I often watch games like Fallout for example here https://gameslikefallout.com/and play something similar))

See, in the early days of the franchise, it was up to Obsidian to provide everything for the games. That meant they had to create the engine, code it themselves, create their own assets, all with a relatively low budget. Their strongest point, however, was not in the gameplay or visuals themselves, but in the stories that can be told within them. The original Fallout games had a very beginner-hostile design, as they were played in a turn-based formula in an isometric world where death came swiftly and without mercy. But once you got a hang of it, players realized just how many choices could be made. And every choice mattered! It was obvious that Obsidian’s Fallout was about the freedom of player choice, and the consequences of those choices.
I hate to break it to you but Obsidian didn’t even exist when the original fallout games came out.

To be fair, some people that worked on the first two Fallout games worked on New Vegas as well because they were part of Black Isle Studios (i know Feargus was involved. Same with Avellone, even if he was mostly involved with the DLC).

The original Fallout games had a very beginner-hostile design
It's much less being hostile to newcomers than asking for a higher degree of commitment from the player.

Saw a trailer for Fallout New Vegas. Said "hey that looks cool". Got scared off by the reviews referencing bugs and stuff. I didn't even know what kind of game it was really as I had never played a WRPG before. Then a friend got me into Fallout 3, which kind of blew my mind because... you know... first RPG. Then I got around to NV, warmed up to it, fell in love with it, got curious about the classics and played them.

When I was 10 years old back when New Vegas released I was given a Christmas gift choice of either that or Fable 3. I picked NV. I remembered liking it but finding it too complicated.

Picked it up when I was 12 and loved it and got super into the lore. Played the classics when I was 13 and joined NMA when I was 14

Listen up kiddo's while grandpa tells you a story....

I was a student back in 97/98 and was in a local games shop and was looking at the Fallout 1 box (back when PC games came in large cardboard boxs). I just looked at the pictures of this isometric game with guns and wrongfully assumed the game was going to be like the old crusader no remorse games (that's where my avatar is from BTW). I of course didn't read anything and got sucked in by the pretty pictures and bought the game. Later that day I was like WTF? This is a turn-based RPG not an isometric shooter, luckily I liked RPGs and back then turn-based games were still somewhat common. It didn't take long to realise this game was a total gem.

I still remember holding that box in my hands looking at it, I was either 18 or 19 at the time and I'm 42 now. Damn, I got old.

I can still feel the sense of awe at the fallout vibe, when looking at this old computer with tape spools and the description saying it was a highly advanced computer lol

I remember feeding Dogmeat for the first time and him following me afterward, I blew so many stimpacs keeping him alive in those forcefields at the army base. No one was gonna kill him on my watch!

I remember the fear in the fallout community when bethsadia took over the IP and the memes of 'it's just gonna be Morrowind with guns'

I spent years working on mods (Mutants Rising rules!), this game somehow impacted my life. I meet some incredible people in this very community (SNorth springs to mind. https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2465319.Stephen_A_North )

Damn, this game, this community left a mark on my life. Far more than I would have ever imagined possible.

I'm still waiting for Mutants Rising to be released, get to to it guys.

Fun fact, the original plot for Mutants Rising had to radically change after it was stolen by a certain development house. The story was nearly identical to an official story. We never found the leak, but suspected a plant on the team. No I don't have any proof, those original design documents will be long gone. I'll just say that originally you started in a prison and escaped after it was attacked. We shifted the location to a town but kept an attack as a starting off the main plot.

Last edited:
Back