How did you discover Fallout ?

My uncle played New Vegas on the PS3 in 2010; I got absolutely hooked watching him. I picked up the ultimate edition on PC a year or two later; that caused me to go down the rabbit hole that is classic fallout. Now I own all the main games on disk.

My older brother installed Fallout 3 on our PC somewhere around 2010, and for a 6 year old me, that was the best game ever, until I gained proper game tastes and discovered classic Fallouts.

My older brother installed Fallout 3 on our PC somewhere around 2010, and for a 6 year old me, that was the best game ever, until I gained proper game tastes and discovered classic Fallouts.
I remember him getting 3 and being super excited to play it. I don't remember how but the disk got scratched and we never got another one. Wasn't able to play 3 or Vegas until I got a 360.

Upon learning Bethesda got the FO IP, a lot of us were pissed. A lot of time has passed since then and I don't think any other studio could have kept the Fallout fire burning so well. The other studios that bid for the IP might have made a better RPG, but it would still be for a much smaller audience, and I doubt it would have gone on to have sequels.

If someone told me in 2007 that Fallout would eventually have a TV series, I would look at them like they are a mutant with two heads. But here we are. And furthermore Susan, Wasteland 2 and 3 would have never been considered if it wasn't for the success of Bethesda's Fallouts.

And furthermore Susan, Wasteland 2 and 3 would have never been considered if it wasn't for the success of Bethesda's Fallouts.

Really? Is that a fact? You genuinely believe that part of the reason why Wasteland 2 & 3 were made, it's because of the success/attention that the Bethesda Era Fallout Games were getting?

:confused:

And furthermore Susan, Wasteland 2 and 3 would have never been considered if it wasn't for the success of Bethesda's Fallouts.
I don't think that was what happened. inXile got the rights for the Wasteland IP in 2003, and in 2007, Fargo said: "I am indeed looking into bringing back the game that spawned the Fallout series. Stay tuned...". Fallout 3 was only released in 2008.

Not to mention that Wasteland 2 and 3 are top-down, tactical RPGs. If they were going after the success of Bethesda's Fallout, I don't think they would be making turn-based RPGs.

Really? Is that a fact? You genuinely believe that part of the reason why Wasteland 2 & 3 were made, it's because of the success/attention that the Bethesda Era Fallout Games were getting?

:confused:

I do fully believe that. And per @Risewild, there was a pretty big backlash back then from the old school F1/2 fans that Bethesda was going to make Oblivion with guns. Not long after F3s success the groundwork was laid to make WL2. Based on the community outcry on sites like NMA and RPGcodex, inXile knew there was still a marketable audience of CRPG players that didn't want to play another consolized FPS.
Maybe it's just a WILD coincidence that a post apocalyptic RPG from 1988 suddenly was back on gamer's radars just a few years after the new Fallouts came out. What the fuck do I know anyway. Ask Brother None he likely has better info on the subject.

Maybe it's just a WILD coincidence that a post apocalyptic RPG from 1988 suddenly was back on gamer's radars just a few years after the new Fallouts came out.
Six years after Fallout 3 came out, really striking while the iron is hot. And to repeat what Risewild said, i very much doubt the success of the Bethesda Fallouts lead to Wasteland 2 and 3, otherwise they would have made open world FPS to capitalize on that and not do games that Bethesda actively shuns.

The other studios that bid for the IP might have made a better RPG, but it would still be for a much smaller audience, and I doubt it would have gone on to have sequels.
The reason turn based RPGs weren't being made wasn't because there was an audience, there was a big audience for it. The reason they weren't made was because the gaming media was actively calling it "oudated" because everyone was enamored with Bethesda's open world crap. This is no different when gaming websites and magazines started to call 2D outdated at the dawn of 3D gaming in the mid 90s.

And now given the success of turn based RPGs in the last handful of years, it's proof that there's always a big audience for this type of game if you properly market it.

Bleh like I said ask BN if he's even still alive. I never claimed not to be retard but I was around this site during the "glittering gem of hatred" days and the actual smart people around here that could weigh in all are gone and don't post here anymore.

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own" sir. =)

Fallout 3 further popularizing nuclear apocalypse games and inadvertently fueling the appetite for different types of games that used to be made makes sense.

Bleh like I said ask BN if he's even still alive. I never claimed not to be retard but I was around this site during the "glittering gem of hatred" days and the actual smart people around here that could weigh in all are gone and don't post here anymore.

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own" sir. =)
This is true.

When I was about 9 I think me and my parents were at some pawn shop, prior to this the only semi RPG game I had played was Marvel Ultimate Alliance from 2006, I ended up spotting a copy of Fallout 3 on the shelf, At the time it was my introduction to RPGs and open world games in general. I loved it but I remember a year later when New Vegas was being released. I was happy and excited that another game was coming so soon. I remember my dad buying it for me at a Walmart, and looking at the game box and manual on the way home, so excited. I overall liked new vegas a lot more, there were more NPCs, more quests, its world was more lively and believable, shortly after I went back and played Fallout 1 and 2. Fallout to me just stood out for a few reasons, unlike the vast majority of other RPGs, Fallout is not set in outer space or some high fantasy realm with magic and so on, Its setting made it far more relatable and compelling for that reason, taking place in America, Its world is so rich and filled with lore that the Fallout world truly feels alive, and ultimately, the vibe. when your in the wasteland and the music hits, its like your teleported there.

When I was about 9 I think me and my parents were at some pawn shop, prior to this the only semi RPG game I had played was Marvel Ultimate Alliance from 2006, I ended up spotting a copy of Fallout 3 on the shelf, At the time it was my introduction to RPGs and open world games in general. I loved it but I remember a year later when New Vegas was being released. I was happy and excited that another game was coming so soon. I remember my dad buying it for me at a Walmart, and looking at the game box and manual on the way home, so excited. I overall liked new vegas a lot more, there were more NPCs, more quests, its world was more lively and believable, shortly after I went back and played Fallout 1 and 2. Fallout to me just stood out for a few reasons, unlike the vast majority of other RPGs, Fallout is not set in outer space or some high fantasy realm with magic and so on, Its setting made it far more relatable and compelling for that reason, taking place in America, Its world is so rich and filled with lore that the Fallout world truly feels alive, and ultimately, the vibe. when your in the wasteland and the music hits, its like your teleported there.
I think that is why it really stands out for me as well. I am not too much into fantasy themes and sci fi themes tend to be a bit cheesy, lame, or over the top.

Sometimes I seem to be dyslexic or inattentive. Somehow I read this thread as about Fallout 2 only.

Bought Fallout 1 about a year after it came out, since I didn't have my first PC until 1998. I think I bought it on a whim, though my college roommate may have told me about it. I also adored the Commodore 64 Wasteland game and anything like that sounded great to me.

Bought Fallout 2 when it came out.
Bought Fallout: Tactics when it came out.

I went through a "Fallout Dark Age" where I didn't play any of these games for many years.
Didn't play Fallout 3 till 2022 because I didn't like the changes from 2 to 3. People really seem to hate it on this site. I thought it was enjoyable to play through once. Though obviously I left it for a long time LOL.

Last edited:
Didn't play Fallout 3 till 2022 because I didn't like the changes from 2 to 3. People really seem to hate it on this site. I thought it was enjoyable to play through once. Though obviously I left it for a long time LOL.

If you think we hate it now you shoulda seen the shitstorm right after bethesda acquired the IP.... some of us trolled bethesda enough they disabled fourm avatars for a bit.....

I read a Fallout 1 preview somewhere, might have been a gaming magazine, and got the demo (was it a download back then or did a disc come in a magazine? I don't recall). I played it over and over for months until the actual game came out.

Simple 'nuff, tell the story of how U got the best RPG out there.

I'll tell mine in a little while, I already wrote it but the forum ate my damn post.
Played New Vegas back in I think 2012-13 on my brothers PS3 in middle school. I loved it from the first playthrough and sided with House.
After that ended up buying Fallout 3 and NV on my PC, those were the only games i had until i got an XBONE and re bought them on Xbox (i was in high school give me a break). Fell into the hype train of Fallout 4 and it was meh. Ended up getting Fallout 1+2 in college.
TLDR been in love since 2012 after my brother got it.

Back