How did you discover Fallout ?

alec said:
uk_john said:
This was the good old days [...] The mid to late 90's were a great time to be a gamer.

You got that right. Too bad that time ain't coming back any time soon.

Maybe a frontal lobotomy will make playing those games so much fun again…not that I need one. I still adore my 1990’s and early 2000’s game collection – about 300+ titles (the beauty of living in an Asian country during the 90’s), and I haven’t even played ¼ of them yet, so much to play but no time to play them, and yet I still keep wanting to play the favorites over and over again. :roll:

I was 8 years old and i asked my father for some games. So we went to his friend who had a quite a big list of pirated games (you know downloaded ones). So i piked 2 random games one was fallout 2 and the other one was 007 nightfire. I installed fallout 2 and I didn't understand anything because english is my second language. Because i didn't understand anything i thought this game was boring. But now after 5 years i rediscovered this gem and now this is one of my most favorite game

I probably have the lamest story here.

As with the rest of the public two years ago, I kept hearing all this stuff about Fallout 3, how it's the greatest RPG ever made and that everyone should buy and it's getting all of these awards. Bought it, played it, beat it, thought it was OK. Didn't really seem "best RPG ever" worthy. Then I decided to look up the first two, saw that they were released in the '90s and isometric RPGs with critical acclaim, and I immediately thought "Well I have to give this a try now!" Coincidentally, just a few days later I came across the Fallout Trilogy and bought it instantly.

Came home, installed it, started it up, and Fallout 1 is now my favorite RPG.

I have a terrible memory so it's either 1 of 2 possible ways it happaned.

2007 mabye? I was in the mood for some post apocalyptic games so i started looking shit up on google/wikipedia and found out about the series and got it.

Or, after playing fallout 3 i became interested in the series and looked for the rest.

Either way i like all the fallouts equally, except that damn timer for Fallout 1 is very irritating.

At the time I played mostly the games my brother bought (I was 14+ - he's 10.5 years older, and we had one PC). Don't remember the year... 1998-2000.

lucas. said:
alec said:
uk_john said:
This was the good old days [...] The mid to late 90's were a great time to be a gamer.

You got that right. Too bad that time ain't coming back any time soon.

Judging by games like "Halo" I don't think that time will come back at all.

I thought that about adventure games, then Capcom released Phoenix Wright and Telltale has begun making a ton of them as well. Until then there was a decent fanmade community D:

Good computer RPGs will pop up again. Then again, last one I played was... Neverwinter Nights? Probably the closest thing.

I think i saw a banner add for Fallout 3 somewhere and it looked interesting so i kept track on fallout 3 over at gamespot,needless to say, i loved it,and seeing as it was fallout 3,that must have meant that there were 2 other fallouts out there, got em,played them,loved them,still do actually, despite the fact its 12 years later, but hey,its my favorite game franchise out there :)

It was year 2000 or -01 when my bro borrowed Fallout2 from his friend and I watched him taking Temple of Trials. I remember thinking that must be a boring game. Luckily few weeks later when my brother had played further I decided to play myself and when I got pipe rifle, there was no coming back :D

My first exposure to Fallout was Fallout 3, and when it was announced, I was pissed because Bethesda was working on that and not ES5 or expansions for Oblivion. (This was probably five or six years ago; I had just gotten my 360 and was playing Oblivion like it was nobody's fucking business).

I didn't really pay attention to it until E3 when they started showing it off and it was just :aaaa:. It looked like crazy good fun, and I couldn't wait. I ended up getting Fallout 3 for my birthday shortly after it came out. (It came mid october, if I remember correctly. My birthday is the end of October).

I played it. I played it alot. It didn't leave the drive for a good two weeks, and even then it was a regular visitor. Now, I've probably got around a seven hundred hours poured into the game across all of my saves (I figure I've played atleast five characters for over a hundred hours; plus other games I didn't take that far. It's a conservative number).

Then at one point, idling in some godforsaken IRC channel (my other huge timesink), I heard mention that the original Fallout games had gone up in a pretty cheap package ($15 for three games) and had no DRM on it; I promptly went to the Interplay site and purchased them, downloaded them over night, and spent a week trying to make them work on my mac, using things like Boxer, Darwine, and lots and lots of swearing.

Eventually I broke down, cleared some space, and bootcamped my MacBook. Set windows up, installed Fallout one, and booted it up.

And since then I've thoroughly, absolutely, unbearably thoroughly enjoyed the series, and built up steady stockpile of hate and derision for Bethesda.

Who even plays Halo 1 on a console anymore?

Anyways, it all started a year ago, back when I was on Xbox live. All my friends on there were just shitting dicks at how good Fallout 3 was, and I had a 50 dollar Amazon gift card, so I bought it on a whim. It took a week to get there, so while I waited I downloaded the first two Fallouts (yes, illegally, don't hurt me) and started playing them. The gameplay took some getting used to, but when I started interacting with people I was hooked. Not even the day before Fallout 3 finally came in the mail, my 360 controller broke. I got to stare at the pretty menu screen. Yaaaaay. I went back to playing Fallout. Somewhere along the line I finally beat it, and like a fat man after Thanksgiving, I was satisfied. I started playing Fallout 2. It was even better. However, I finally got another controller for my 360 after about 3 months, and naturally the first thing I do is play Fallout 3. After all this waiting, and the 50 bucks I spent, I realized something - Fallout 3 was an extremely superb game, but it simply could not be as good as the first two. I beat it after a few days and went back to Fallout 2.

i actually started with fallout 3, which is a shame, but the game was fun and is still, but then i started wondering about the older games and then looked up videos, after hours of watching videos about fallout 1 and 2 i felt like i already played the games, and after some time i finally got the games and got addicted right away, the bad side, just made me open my eyes that fallout 3 was a disappointment.:(

it was in the beginning of the 90's, I was 12 or 13 years old. I had bought a magazine with the fo1 demo... I remember I didn't go to bed that night...

I first tried Fallout1 demo when it was released back in 1997.
I got killed few times by the rats outside of the vault... and just dropped it
(shame on me!). Then I rediscovered it in 2007 and I enjoyed it in its
full glory.
Then I moved to Fallout2 and Fallout Tactics which I have played few
times now.

I haven't played Fallout3 yet cause of my old laptop but this will
change in few months. I don't really know what to expect. Probably
a good post apo FPS but hardly a good Fallout.

--
Aguirre

Back in 1998 I used to LAN with a few friends, mainly playing Action Quake 2, other Quake 2 mods, Starcraft and others. At one LAN one of my friends who was older than the rest of us and who I looked up to immensely raved about the Fallout games and gave them both to me.

I sat down and started playing Fallout 1 at the LAN when we had kind of gotten sick of killing each other. I wasn't really sure what the big deal was at first, but soon enough 40 minutes had passed in the blink of an eye and I was hooked.

I have of course bought them both since (twice actually), but that's how it all started for me.

An interesting story really....
So my brother was talking with me one day and brought the topic of Fallout (which until then I had only heard of once) He said to me "Man you really gotta play this game! It's fun as hell and you can do what you want in it!" it had peaked my interest but I wasn't interested. And after a while of putting it off I finally installed and play it........ 18 hours later my mom wakes up to go to work only to find me still up staring at the computer screen looking and sounding like a zombie. She yells "You've been up this entire time! What in the hell were you doing!" To which I muttered "Playing....... this..... FREAKING... AWESOME.... GAME!!!! Needless to say i have never been the same since! :D

One Disc packages of ripped/pirated copies of 3 or 4 games from Russia were pretty popular in Turkey back in 97. One day my cousin bought one of them with some RTS and Fallout in it. After checking out the random RTS together, radioactivity sign for Fallout caught my eye, I was quite interested in Chernobyl accident and nuclear disasters overall back then, so i borrowed the CD to try it out. Needless to say I immediatly fell in love with Fallout despite the lack of intro movies or music in the shitty ripped version. Not long after I got an original copy for myself : )

My Story

I was but a mere twelve years old when FO1 was released and was first exposed to the game by my older brother while visiting him in college. Having secretly raised me on a diet of "bad" games, from Doom to Mortal Kombat, he let me start up a character. Needless to say, I didn't get very far by concentrating on HtH and Traps, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Unfortunately, my parents wouldn't purchase the game for me, though I was too busy playing Ultima Online to really care. For some reason (probably UO), Fallout escaped from my memories.

Flash forward to 2001 and the release of Arcanum. Every few weeks or so I'd go to Walmart and see the poor copies collecting dust, and with some Christmas money, decided to purchase it; I was immediately enthralled.

Upon arriving in Arcanum's main city, Tarant, I happened upon a strange two-headed cow featured in a P.T. Barnum-esque museum. I knew the brahmin looked familiar, though I couldn't exactly place it. After doing some research, I was pleased to learn of its connection to FO.

About a year later, whilst looking for a Sims expansion, I happened upon a FO1/FO2 double-pack and gleefully purchased it. A freak snowstorm, which closed my high school for two weeks, made it a winter to remember.

Back