How did you discover Fallout ?

Back around, gosh who knows maybe 2000, I was looking up stuff randomly and decided to hunt up the stats for the alien weapons in XCOM: Ufo Defense and "plasma rifle" triggered a Fallout item stats page to come up (specifically the turbo plasma rifle).

Because of perpetual destitution paying money for anything, like games was a rarity, and as a result I generally forgot.

About a year later maybe I was at walmart in the electronics section and saw the Fallout 1 + Fallout 2 bundle pack and decided to get it. And loved it so much about another 6 months later I got FOT over at K-Mart when I saw it on the shelf.

Around 1998, when I got interested in PC Games.
Bought my first PC-Games magazin and read about Jagged Alliance 2, which was about to be released in a few months.
After the release of JA2 found an article of similar games, one of them was Fallout (you know ... turn based)

In Germany we had an annualy game collection, named "Gold Games", with some really nice games included (Tomb Raider, Need for Speed, Dungeon Keeper, etc.)
In one of this collection was Fallout 2. Wham Bam ...

To be honest, it wasn't love on first sight ;)
It had a quite different turn based system than JA2. But over the time, growing up, appreciating writing / lore / worldbuilding, I learned to appreciate it and for some time I love it.

Uncle bought fallout 3 for me for my birthday the year of its release i was younger then, i traded it back to the store cause i liked the spongebob game better then my mate in school was talking to me about it i got hyped re bought it and got hooked from there

That was a long journey, first of all i start playing elder scrolls series, it was 2006 or maybe 2004, idk. Anyway , i made my own research for rpg, i penetrate this genre from the oldest one, Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, after that the Fallout 3 came, i must admit i loved this game, when i finish f3 i was still hungry for more postapo , then i find fallout 1 and 2, first meeting with this game was harsh, gameplay was too stiff, that all turn based system, so i just leave behind . Two years ago, i wanted to refresh f3, but the first twenty minutes weary me completely, then i thought about fallout new vegas, i never played it before so, why not, i was really charmed, with style ,storytelling of fallout new vegas, then i realize i must return to f1 and 2. i got used to turn base system, after that the story suck me in, and now Fallout 1 and 2 are my favorite rpgs all time.

I had a friend who let me borrow his copy of Fallout 1 around 1999, unfortunately I didn't get around to playing it then, wish I had. Then a few years later I played it through and the rest is history. F1, F2 and New Vegas are probably my fav RPGs of all time, next to Deus Ex.

I was around 12 years old before playing the first two fallouts. Fallout 3 was abuzz at the time, but because at the time all I had was a crappy 5 year old PC and a nintendo Wii, I couldn't play it. Thats when I saw fallout collection at the local game store for about $10. Not having anything new to play at the time.

I never got to play tactics back then and I have yet to bring myself to play it, mainly because there seems to be a bug where the game wants the CD to be in the drive, but the it won't detect the fallout collection CD as the fallout tactics CD. Now since I know how to just install a no-cd crack, I could play it, just never got around to doing it.

Anyway, I hated the first two games at first. I knew how to play the game unlike many stories on the struggle on how the interface works, but as I child, I found it boring. The combat was slow, and too hard. I wanted to get to the shooting fast. And I especially hated the water chip timer in the first game. Turned it off and went to play some old first person shooters.

I came back a year later. Had the same problems, and was about to just leave the game in the garage for all eternity. But then I persisted. With nothing to do I made new characters. I found out what happens if you put your intelligence to 3 and laughed at it. I experimented with new skills until my character came to become at the very least competent.

I went deeper and found a world where your actions have consequences. A world with many characters to love. It was a fantastic experience. I now call fallout 2 one of my favorite game of all time. Sadly every time I try to introduce someone to the older games they either found it too hard (you missed), tedious, or "old".

If memory serves, the demo was on one of those old MacWorld CDs. As i wandered through the little town, the guy in the cattle pen with the minigun just kept ripping me to shreds. It was like some sort of personal badge of honor when I finally shot him down. I'd never really played a computer RPG before, so I didn't even realize at the time, there was more than one way to get things done. I was sold. Went out and bought both games. I remember watching for Fallout Tactics later, but it was never released for Mac.

It all started with the Fallout 3 hype. I was a frequenter of Bethesda forums at the time, and there were quite a lot of old fans talking about the series and the great things that were missing from Fallout 3. So I jumped in, bought Fallout 1 & 2 for $20 on Ebay -- discs, case, and all. I fired up the first game, and it didn't take me long to become sucked into the world. I jumped in the second game, and I found it even better.

And then the fateful day arrived. Fallout 3 came out. I bought it, and didn't even complete the game. Fallout 1 & 2 set the mark for me. Finally after so many years, I picked up New Vegas without knowing anything about the game, but I figured I'd give it a try (bear in mind I thought Bethesda developed it at the time). After a couple hours, it seemed like Bethesda really out did themselves, like they really went back to the classics and did it right. Later I found out who really made it, and I've been stuck on Fallout ever since.

My dad. He had the classic Fallout on his computer. He didn't let me play at first, but some time after he let me create my first character and I fought through Vault 15. I was around 11. I then heard about Fallout 3 around the same time and it sounded magical. "Yeah you start as a baby yadda yadda guns mutants."

Started with 1 in a loose sense, really started playing 3 (had it on console, but it ended up breaking) and NV (introduced me to Steam, really).

Good times.

Always was a fan of Bethesda games ever since playing Morrowind so getting Fallout 3 was unavoidable

It was 2010. I was 9 or 10 when I saw a video of the first Fallout. I was enthralled. Two years later, I got FNV for the Xbox, loved it. I got F3, liked it. I played F1/2, they were alright but I wasn't a big fan. I played F3 again, didn't care for it. Finally, I replayed FNV and loved it even more with all the DLC.

I first played fallout 3, back in 09 I believe. I loved the apocalyptic setting, the exploration, lore, and the choices I could make. Now, I'm not one to roleplay a bad guy, simply not in me, but I did appreciate the choices given to do so for others. Since then, I've played and beaten all the fallouts outside of 4. I'd get back to it, and trust me, I love it, but college takes precedence.

Fallout 3. Was really young at the time. Bought it on a trip to Germany, was the German version, couldn't understand anything, so I went on to look for the English version. It looked extremely intriguing compared to any game I had ever played at the time. I think I actually went and waited at the store, and when they said they didn't have it, I pushed a little and they were able to find a whole crate of it. They weren't very organised - I don't remember, maybe it was the holiday sale and they were busy? I may be remembering a lot of this wrong. I dunno.

Anyways, I tried it the first time, barely got through the Vault 101 intro, and as soon as I left the Vault, I wandered. Ran into a Mr Gutsy and got killed immediately. Quit the game, too scared to play on. I think I had to get back to it many years later, when I finally started to enjoy it. Only then did I even realise Megaton existed and that it was an open-world game. I was particularly impressed by the "pick up anything" feature. I couldn't understand VATS the entire first time I played, and had no idea what was going on in the plot.

From that game through Bethesda, I discovered Oblivion and Skyrim, if I recall correctly. I took quite a while to get used to the "kill anything", too. I discovered New Vegas long after that, and Fallout 1 and 2 just a few years before Fallout 4 was announced.

When I was about 11 New Vegas was on sale for 10$. My brother said that he heard it was good, so I bought it. I sucked at it at first, but I got good and now I think fallout is one of the best game series. I got 3 for my birthday a few months later, and today I got the first. I didn't have a pc setup, but we have 2 old PCs and one has a virus, so I wasn't taking my chances with it. I took its monitor and got the other PC, a 2001 HP Pavilion 513c that runs on Vista. The computer itself runs a little slow because it has a lot of stuff on it, but works and the game runs smooth as glass.

A friend of mine sold me his old desktop and a few games in 1999, Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 were included in those games and I got addicted to them immediately.
What amazed me was how "real" the games felt, I had only played JRPGs by then and when I went to someone's house and looted a container... I got turned into a corpse quite fast, my first thought was "wow, this is how it's supposed to be". I kept playing and kept liking the games more and more after finding new ways to beat quests, how the games accommodated playing a goody two-shoes, an evil psycho or a total neutral character and pretty much everything in between, after discovering little details that made the games a lot of fun (like a low intelligence playthrough, a super high speech playthrough, some differences in dialogues and stuff if playing with a female character instead of a male one, playing with a high luck value like when I was trying to save Tandi and was confused by the dad of the khan guy... that was hilarious and totally random, etc).
That was how I discovered Fallout :wiggle:.

A few of my friends at school kept on talking about Fallout 3 and how good it was. I tried the game for myself and thought it was decent. I then played Fallout 1 and New Vegas and thought they were brilliant. I tried to convince these friends to play the originals for PC, they refused as the games looked too dated or whatever. At this point they are both enjoying Fallout 4, I cannot convince them anything, I have lost them.

Back when I was in school, around 2006, I worked in a supermarket to make a bit of extra money. The aisle that I used to work on (Juices! Oh yeah!) was fairly close to the alcohol section, so there was always a security guard stationed there. One of the usual security guards who worked there fairly regularly was a pretty cool guy which led us to talk quite a lot. One day we got onto the subject of games, and he said that he was excited for Fallout 3 because he was a huge fan of the original Fallouts. I innocently enquired about them; I had heard of them very distantly but never actually played them. He recommended them to me, so I played them and have been hooked ever since.

We were both disappointed in Fallout 3 when it finally arrived.

Was looking through Steam during a sale. I saw FO3 on sale for a few bucks. Picked it up but never played it. Dusted it off and discovered other Fallout games.

Back