How does it feel to play Fallout?

Szeder

It Wandered In From the Wastes
I have always craved for a knowledge which is beyond mortals. I'm talking about atmosphere, atmosphere which is presented again and in the Troika's Untitled project movie ( Dune's music)

Nma is, in my opinion, is the last bastion of hope when it comes to Fallout. This is why it intrigues me why no one ever asked this simple question:

What do you feel when you play a Fallout game ?
Describe the feelings that overwhelm you when playing this game!
(We all know that Fallout surpasses human understanding, but it is essential that we receive feedback concerining this question)

Fallout is a game that makes you want to finish it no matter what... and the entire freedom it gives you makes you want to finish it several times. each time i went on internet to search for a walkthrough i came across an article which told me theres a secret in this part of game that i have not yet ventured.

sooo... the mysterious and dark themed world of Fallout (F2 i mean, because i didnt play F1) is a well worked game that focuses mostly on gameplay and Fallout, rather than it's marketing and profit. i think the creators weren't even thinking about marketing and were 100% focused on "making another Fallout.".

Szeder said:
Troika's Untitled project movie ( Dune's music)
Wow, is that what it is? Music from Dune? The movie?

A profound sense of loneliness that actually feels good.

alec said:

Shhh, don't talk so loud about it. You might open Pandora's Box of controversial Fallout-like music and find out how an artist or two was ripped.

Anyway, you won't find the piece in the movie, it wasn't used.

alec said:

Head over to youtube and type something similar : troika's untitled project then be amazed. If you don't know what this is you should take a look at the nma archives, I'm sure they featured news about it.

(When I get drunk and see this short video I still cry sometimes)

alec said:
Anyway, you won't find the piece in the movie, it wasn't used.

There are at least 5 cuts existing of that movie and the one which is considered to be the most proper (by Lynch) DOES feature this song. The music is composed by Brian Eno btw.

Szeder said:
alec said:

Head over to youtube and type something similar : troika's untitled project then be amazed. If you don't know what this is you should take a look at the nma archives, I'm sure they featured news about it.

(When I get drunk and see this short video I still cry sometimes)
Uhm... I know that vid, dude. I just didn't know it was music from Dune made by Eno. Not a whole lot of folks around here seem to know that, btw, since I actually asked a month ago or something. Anyone know if Eno released it on an album or something?

The vid brings tears to my eyes as well. Troika would have amazed us with that project, I'm sho.

alec said:
Anyone know if Eno released it on an album or something?

The song is on the Dune soundtrack.
IIRC, one or more Eno's songs appear in Fallout as well. Not that he was credited for that or something.

Szeder said:
Describe the feelings that overwhelm you when playing this game!
It's mostly like:
"It feels like groin shots are a lame replacement of rape. You can't have Rape and Pillage Games without rape."
"So I shot that guy in the eye for 20 points of damage and he shoot back and killed me."
"I wish it was more like JA2."
"So it's the 459th time I saved Shady Sands from radscorpions. Spiritual successor please?"
"You filthy ghoul, eat lead! You filthy ghoul, eat lead! Boom! Smash! Smash! Dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee filth!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, water chip :mrgreen: !"
"You mean I have to leave my safe and comfortable vault and look for a water chip? No way. I'm scared."
"So, I have killed those raiders now I will help myself to their women. What do you mean by "there's no such option"?"
"So, I have killed those raiders that have ambushed me a moment ago and I can't understand one thing - why they tried to beat me up instead of shooting me with their hunting rifles?"
"What do you mean by "Kanji wasn't supposed to kill Killian"?"
"I'm so lucky that VD doesn't have to eat and drink. She would probably starve if she would have to."

Hmm...
It would be mostly amusement, irritation, disappointment, boredom, indifference, desolation, joy, satisfaction, sadness, fear etc.
Some of them because of what happens in game, some of them because of limitations of the game and some of them because I played the game too much times and I still don't have a valid replacement.

I get a rather empowering feeling while I play Fallout, that sense that you can create just about and character and do a huge amount of things, simply sends a rush of excitement whenever I load the game.

I get that empowering feeling too, and then disappointment because the game is hard coded to not let you wander and explore.

FO2 is gaming bliss, though.

...and multiplied by infinity. As for me, I take this game easy as any other - just like the Gothic games, for example (but not G3), or Starcraft (for wandering the world, you should try Morrowind. It rocks your socks). The latter is perhaps a better example since it, too, is a legend. RPGs are fun because you're free, but it goes for a lot of them and not only Fallout. If you ask me, there's limited point in this thread.

Kuj2 said:
If you ask me, there's limited point in this thread.

Actually, I intentionally named the topic the way I did. Some might suspect me of making this topic too vague, too generalised. As I said, I did it on purpose.

Fallout and most of its aspects have been discussed, commented on , dissected on nma.

I wanted to see how people combine these aspects in their minds to create their own Fallout experience (I do think that in-depth pieces of art like books, movies and games will affect each individual in a different way) and how they can display this experience here, using words.

I don't know exactly why, but FO games have a great way of keeping me immersed. It's the ultimate escapism.
Something that really stands out in FO 1 and 2 are the bugs. haha! Seriously though, I can't think of any other games besides the fallouts and Planescape Torment that had serious bugs that STILL didn't pull me out of my immersion in the game world. That's pretty impressive. (but yeah, better after the patches)

Szeder said:
Kuj2 said:
If you ask me, there's limited point in this thread.

Actually, I intentionally named the topic the way I did. Some might suspect me of making this topic too vague, too generalised. As I said, I did it on purpose.

Fallout and most of its aspects have been discussed, commented on , dissected on nma.

I wanted to see how people combine these aspects in their minds to create their own Fallout experience (I do think that in-depth pieces of art like books, movies and games will affect each individual in a different way) and how they can display this experience here, using words.

Have you been playing Planescape Torment much lately?

J/K :lol:

Anyway I would call games entertainment medium first, art second.

taag said:
Have you been playing Planescape Torment much lately?

Actually, I have :mrgreen: How did you guess ? :wink:

taag said:
Anyway I would call games entertainment medium first, art second.

Well, most books and movies too are considered entertainment mediums. Cartoons are for entertaining kids, but there is (I think) nobody who would not call Disney's animations an art for example. Cheap books/movies are for cheap folks, intelligent ones however entertain in a different fashion and that is considered art.

Games of nowadays belong to the earlier group while Fallout will always remain in the latter.

Don't double post --Mike Grizzly

[/raspy voice]What can change the nature of a man?[/raspy voice]

Yea, it's pretty obvious.

What do I feel when I play Fallout? I feel immersed. The term's been overly abused these past few years, especially when it comes to the Fallout series, but the game definitely draws me in. I start actually caring about some of these characters, even putting up with some of the characters' more annoying quirks (Sulik's "We and I" and Vic's "Ok boss") to get some more background information from them, or from the non-party NPCs.

This is also true when it comes to the main quests. I might get side-tracked from the central objectives of the game, but at the back of my mind, there's always that "hey, you know, your people need your help... you'd better get your ass in gear" aspect to it.

Another aspect of the game that makes me love the game, is the feeling of desolation. It's much more obvious in FO1, especially in the Glow and the non-town parts of the Boneyard, where the total devastation of the War is highlighted. But even just wandering around, getting those occasional messages of "You didn't find enough water/food" or "You fell from a big rock and sprained your ankle" helped to emphasize that you were alone, that things could (and sometimes did- random pockets of radiation, anyone?) go wrong.

Szeder said:
Well, most books and movies too are considered entertainment mediums. Cartoons are for entertaining kids, but there is (I think) nobody who would not call Disney's animations an art for example. Cheap books/movies are for cheap folks, intelligent ones however entertain in a different fashion and that is considered art.

You're confusing the medium with art. Modern games are composed from three or more different and established art forms - visual arts, music and literature. The game itself is a medium where these three are joined together. If you strip a game from these forms of art there won't be anything left worthy of naming it art in its own right.

So to conclude:
Game, TV, cinema = medium
Graphic, music, text = art

taag said:
So to conclude:
Game, TV, cinema = medium
Graphic, music, text = art

I don't think that this is all there is to it. Would you call a painting a piece of art? Most people would, and it is agreed upon that paintings are not primarily entertainment mediums.

Graphic, music text = art ?

Graphics, musical notes, texts etc are made up of a lot of different things. What makes them pieces of art is that the artist managed to blend them in a complete whole, or an incomplete whole for that matter.

Fallout is a piece of art because the creators managed to combine music, graphics, texts etc. into a coherent game.

In other words, art can serve entertainment purposes and entertaiment mediums can be considered art. I think there are no strict borders, especially nowadays...

Back