How to make dove pot pie from scratch...

alec said:
I find this thread to be extremely offensive.

Doves are sweet birds.
euhm, weren't you from Antwerp?

fucking rats with wings are what city pigeons bloody are.

Personally, I like fat food, If I make lasagna, I usually have about half a kilo of Jarlsberg cheese, and half a kilo of meat. And I easily eat at least half of the finished thing alone. On top of that, I'm slim as hell.
In other words, you should have more cheese in your dove pot pie.

I'm very impressed. I like to cook and the feeling of eating something you not only prepared, but gathered/hunted yourself is grand. I'd totally eat that.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Lukester,

ok, not trying to convert you into a vegy or anything. Although you said something like "you can go to any meat store and get good products", that might actually not be true even on a European level. I've seen some pretty iffy meat products in stores even in rich countries, not to mention the poorer ones.

I think people would benefit if instead of getting that wrapped piece of meat from the supermarket they once went and hunted or fished themselves. Gives a whole new perspective. I used to fish and never any rare fish so I think I was doing in a sustainable way. I'm constantly trying to lower my intake of what I perceive as low level meat. Intake of meat, hmm... :D

MutantScalper said:
Lukester,

ok, not trying to convert you into a vegy or anything. Although you said something like "you can go to any meat store and get good products", that might actually not be true even on a European level. I've seen some pretty iffy meat products in stores even in rich countries, not to mention the poorer ones.
Is this what you mean?
Lukester said:
I could go to any serious and professional butcher in the world and ask for some "high quality meat", and my definition of high quality meat is what I would get.
Hehe, pretty big difference there between "go to any meat store and get good products" (your interpretation) and "any serious and professional butcher" (what I actually said). Any qualitative butcher, if you will, will offer me good products. This may seem as a futile statement since it's self-proving, since what constitutes as a "qualitative" (or, as I said, "serious and professional") butcher, is of course a butcher who provides high quality meat. Not to troll, but it couldn't have been that hard to look up what I actually said? :P

I'm well aware that there is shitloads of crappy meat in the world. That's why, when buying real meat, I am concerned about quality and always buy high quality meat. (My definition of 'real meat' is here the raw, hung matured, and chopped up muscle of a dead animal.)

MutantScalper said:
I think people would benefit if instead of getting that wrapped piece of meat from the supermarket they once went and hunted or fished themselves. Gives a whole new perspective. I used to fish and never any rare fish so I think I was doing in a sustainable way. I'm constantly trying to lower my intake of what I perceive as low level meat. Intake of meat, hmm... :D
Totally agreed that fishing is awesome, and that there's lots of bad meat out there. Walking in a regular supermarket, I have no fucking idea what so ever who is picking up all those heaps of sucky meat. (Bright red and completely unmarbled roast beef? No thank you - try some rubber instead, it'll be more tender.) I'm guessing you mean to take the ethical aspects further here, while I'm only concerned about quality, as per my previous definition of quality in this thread. Pre-packed tenderloin (and other meats as well; I'm just using tenderloin since it's the most illustrating example) can be awesome; just the fact that a meat is pre-packed doesn't mean it is of poor quality at all. (Again, note my definition of quality to avoid further misunderstandings caused by language.) But of course, it's a bit more romantic to get the meat sliced up before your eyes. And it's even more so romantic to fish or kill your own wild animal for eating. I really like to fish, but it's also a very rare event for me since I don't have my own car, and public transporation is for suckers. (I don't even have a bike and walk everywhere - 5 min to the uni, 5 min to the store, 10 min to the city and the pubs.) And I'd easily be up for shooting a wild animal for eatin' (though you didn't mention that), but you gotto have a license and stuff for that ;).

Lukester said:
Is this what you mean?
Lukester said:
I could go to any serious and professional butcher in the world and ask for some "high quality meat", and my definition of high quality meat is what I would get.

Hehe, pretty big difference there between "go to any meat store and get good products" (your interpretation) and "any serious and professional butcher" (what I actually said). Any qualitative butcher, if you will, will offer me good products. This may seem as a futile statement since it's self-proving, since what constitutes as a "qualitative" (or, as I said, "serious and professional") butcher, is of course a butcher who provides high quality meat. Not to troll, but it couldn't have been that hard to look up what I actually said? :P

Yea sorry, was going by memory there.

I actually kind of agree, it might be better if people bought meat from a butcher then from the supermarkets etc. It would bring the buyer closer to the process and the product people would get would probably be more fresh.

I'm well aware that there is shitloads of crappy meat in the world. That's why, when buying real meat, I am concerned about quality and always buy high quality meat. (My definition of 'real meat' is here the raw, hung matured, and chopped up muscle of a dead animal.)

Totally agreed that fishing is awesome,

I used to live next to a river so fishing was kind of natural thing. And I didn't even care if I didn't always catch fish as long as I knew that there is fish in the river and that the fish stem is healthy and the water is clean etc. Overfishing and overhunting is another problem that should be addressed around the world.

MutantScalper said:
I used to live next to a river so fishing was kind of natural thing. And I didn't even care if I didn't always catch fish as long as I knew that there is fish in the river and that the fish stem is healthy and the water is clean etc.

Nice :). One of my favorite quotes is "There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot", ehehe. But I don't care if I get any fish either - no fish; something else for supper. Fishing only for food must suck - when I fish, it's for the calm mood. :)

Back