How would you make a fallout spiritual successor

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by ironmask, Feb 14, 2020.

1. ironmask

ironmask Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Mar 10, 2018
    Instead of talking about what a perfect fallout sequel would be like or what would you do if you got to make a fallout sequel, how about we talk about what we would do if we made a successor to fallout instead. Like Atom RPG and Encased. What I have is a very basic loose idea and I still have to put much thought into it, but basically what I would do is instead of making it post-apocalyptic, is set my game in the far future where the setting takes place on an extremely hostile but important planet filled with very rare exotic but highly valuable resources that space empires and governments have fought over for centuries. In a war that has lasted too long between two governments, the two governments have decided to meet and finally settle on peace treaty and make a deal that should benefit the both of them. But with much debates and disagreements it obvious that these meetings are going no where. So it has been decided with the agreement of both parties that a foreign diplomat would be sent to see if he could help solve this dispute between the two governments, with the idea that the diplomat, being foreign would have no bias, so thous the most reasonable. I honestly have no idea where I'm going with the rest of this. The idea is that you are the diplomat and something goes wrong and now you have to explore this hostile planet while learning much of it's history, how the constant wars have effected the planet and the native aliens, and which government you should side with. While fighting off alien creatures and trying to stay alive. Later you learn that the planet use to be like a beautiful paradise, but the wars have slowly mutated the planet over the centuries turning it into a bizarre hostile jungle with many alien monster that have mutated along with it. Like I said, I still have to put a lot of thought into this. Instead of another cliche desert wasteland instead the setting will take place a jungle planet. Something like this.

The gameplay will be similar to the first fallout, of course but instead of a perk system, I would replace it with a skill tree like atom. And that's honestly all I can come up with right now.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  2. Alphons

Alphons National Beholder

Aug 9, 2017
    Yeah, I kinda can't see (for example) US and Chinese government agreeing to get foreign diplomat to handle their affairs on a planet filled with valuable resources.
    I'd propose that PC is instead sent by an international peacekeeping organisation (space UN) to end the conflict at any cost. It would also make both sides less willing to cooperate with you and could be a source of potential conflict.

I'd probably go with sabotage- you're stranded on the planet and you don't know who you can trust. It also gives you a lot of room for narration- was it one of the fighting sides? Maybe colonists want to become independent? Your organisation wants to take over for itself and one of it's diplomats dying is a great reason to step in with their armed peacekeepers? Or was it some ecoterrorist trying to stop exploitation of the planet?

Peek tree was definitely one of the weakest points in Atom, which is why they develop new system for Trudograd. It could work if you make varied enough.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  3. ironmask

ironmask Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Mar 10, 2018
    Honestly even I thought that idea was a kinda sketchy as I was typing it. I like you idea of the space UN, it makes the diplomat thing make way more sense.
    Not only is sabotage good with narration but it can also be an excuse for a low intelligence playthrough too. It would be silly if the space UN (placeholder name for now) sent a diplomat who could barely form proper sentences. So we just say the diplomat hit his head hard during a crash landing causing him to become retarded if the player only gave his character one 1 intelligence. It doesn't have to make the most sense, it's video game logic.
    The perk tree was not great, sure but I liked the idea. I would obviously have to flesh it out more for sure.

I'm going to change some of my ideas. Firstly the thing about empires and governments fighting over a single planet for centuries. That idea seems silly now that I think about it. Even if the resources they're fighting over is rare, the idea that governments would spend a lot of money to go to war for a single planet is dumb when they could be using that money to trade for the resources that is being mined by the other instead. And what could be so important about this resource that could have governments fighting over it for centuries? Which is why I'm going to change this war from centuries to a few decades. I'm going to change the resources from being something that was always rare to something that used to common but is becoming more and more rare do to centuries of mining. This resource is similar to oil. It has been used to fuel many faster than light spaceships and has been used to power many machines and advance power plants. With both governments running out of this space oil, this would cause an extreme economic collapse. This could cause a resource war between the two governments. During this resource war many expeditions were made to find sources of space oil in which many failed. After years of searching, one expedition finally found a planet with a ton of space oil. This would explain why two governments are fighting so hard for a rare resource on one planet. And we can also say that their was a cold war going on between the two before the resource wars broke out to add more tension between the two factions. So I basically made the backstory more similar to fallout.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1