Ideas for Obsidian spin off?

While I'd like to see Chicago, Florida, New Orleans/Lousianna explored in Fallout setting, I think Obsidian should go with exploration of the west. I would be happy with Denver and Van Burren Setting - finally introduce the nursery, which can be a main plot on its own and grand canyon, also beautiful in the new engine - or go with san Francisco exploring the Golden Gate Bridge or Seattle. Finally sea a nuclear winter, maybe? Those would be my picks.

While I'd like to see Chicago, Florida, New Orleans/Lousianna explored in Fallout setting, I think Obsidian should go with exploration of the west. I would be happy with Denver and Van Burren Setting - finally introduce the nursery, which can be a main plot on its own and grand canyon, also beautiful in the new engine - or go with san Francisco exploring the Golden Gate Bridge or Seattle. Finally sea a nuclear winter, maybe? Those would be my picks.

For me, the Rockies. Another look at tribal life and the conflict between the tribal life and modern civilization.

I would like to see a game set in Portland shortly after Fallout 2, roughly 2250-2265. I'd like to see all new factions. I actually wrote an outline of a story and have been refining it. It would revolve around a city like Vault City dealing with local factions. I'd like to see games set earlier in the time line so existing factions, like the NCR and BoS won't feature prominently or at all in a game. As a newer fan to the Fallout series, I don't have any particular investment in the NCR and actually didn't like them. I'd rather have new factions defined earlier in the time line than mindlessly setting games farther into the timeline and just sticking existing factions in a new area. It limits story development which will kill the series more than any blunder Bethesda or any spin off developers do.

Actually, yes, why cant we go with spinoffs right to the beginning to an uncharted area(as of 2015) which say wouldnt be hit very much by nukes and only have residual radiation. Say Point Lookout-esque but the very first few years 40/50/60/80/100.

Also a dlc to mexico city. It intrigued me how Raul described it.

Actually, yes, why cant we go with spinoffs right to the beginning to an uncharted area(as of 2015) which say wouldnt be hit very much by nukes and only have residual radiation. Say Point Lookout-esque but the very first few years 40/50/60/80/100.

Yeah I'd love to see Mexico city.

If a Fallout game took place in Texas a DLC could take place in Mexico.

More American Southwest?
Would like to see LA but don't mind San Francisco or Mexico.
Seattle would be pretty interesting to see as well.

Personally? I'm hoping they ape Van Buren even more than they did with New Vegas.

Like many of you, I picture the game set in post-legion collapse territory, centered around Flagstaff. It's sufficiently far north to allow us to have a slither of Colorado, and thus include stuff like Burham Springs (albeit not in the location intended in Van Buren), and the New Canaanites.

House and the Courier won the day at the Dam, managing to negotiate the peaceful leaving of the NCR and Legion with Oliver and Lanius, with the Mojave serving as a buffer zone. However, Lanius's retreat was perceived as weakness. Lieutenants and Colonels all across the Four States declared themselves the inheritors of Caesar's mantel, in opposition to the Legate Lanius.

There are three primary "Legion" factions: Lanius, and the remnants of the army proper- wants to re-impose the old order of Caesar, though not too fond of Caesar cultists. There's Aurelius, a former Frumentarus who has come back from the NCR with very strange ideals indeed- republicanism. Republicanism by a council of military officers and aristocrats, true, but republicanism nonetheless. And the Boy-king- one of Caesar's few non-slave bastards. Revered by cultists of Caesar and Mars, but his rule extends only to Flagstaff. His strings are pulled by the Frumentarus Vulpes Inculta.

Another primary faction coming from outside the Legion is the Midwestern Brotherhood of Steel- formerly cowed by the Legion, they're now making a comeback. Their territory is like something out of the middle ages- vast fields of wheat attended to by ignorant peasants, lorded over by massive stone Redoubts. Their primary goal is to destroy the Legion, once and for all, conquer her lands, and secure an advanced piece of tech they believe is waiting for them...

And there is also you- you can choose to destroy all factions involved, destroy but one faction, or crown yourself King of the Legion.

There are also a variety of sub-factions- Mormons, NCR Rangers, Cassidy Caravans, Hubbologists

In broad strokes, it has a similar plot to Van Buren. You start the game as a Prisoner, and the ultimate MacGuffin is the B.O.M.B.

That sounds fucking incredible, I would play the living shit out of that!

Personally? I'm hoping they ape Van Buren even more than they did with New Vegas.

Like many of you, I picture the game set in post-legion collapse territory, centered around Flagstaff. It's sufficiently far north to allow us to have a slither of Colorado, and thus include stuff like Burham Springs (albeit not in the location intended in Van Buren), and the New Canaanites.

House and the Courier won the day at the Dam, managing to negotiate the peaceful leaving of the NCR and Legion with Oliver and Lanius, with the Mojave serving as a buffer zone. However, Lanius's retreat was perceived as weakness. Lieutenants and Colonels all across the Four States declared themselves the inheritors of Caesar's mantel, in opposition to the Legate Lanius.

There are three primary "Legion" factions: Lanius, and the remnants of the army proper- wants to re-impose the old order of Caesar, though not too fond of Caesar cultists. There's Aurelius, a former Frumentarus who has come back from the NCR with very strange ideals indeed- republicanism. Republicanism by a council of military officers and aristocrats, true, but republicanism nonetheless. And the Boy-king- one of Caesar's few non-slave bastards. Revered by cultists of Caesar and Mars, but his rule extends only to Flagstaff. His strings are pulled by the Frumentarus Vulpes Inculta.

Another primary faction coming from outside the Legion is the Midwestern Brotherhood of Steel- formerly cowed by the Legion, they're now making a comeback. Their territory is like something out of the middle ages- vast fields of wheat attended to by ignorant peasants, lorded over by massive stone Redoubts. Their primary goal is to destroy the Legion, once and for all, conquer her lands, and secure an advanced piece of tech they believe is waiting for them...

And there is also you- you can choose to destroy all factions involved, destroy but one faction, or crown yourself King of the Legion.

There are also a variety of sub-factions- Mormons, NCR Rangers, Cassidy Caravans, Hubbologists

In broad strokes, it has a similar plot to Van Buren. You start the game as a Prisoner, and the ultimate MacGuffin is the B.O.M.B.

That sounds fucking incredible, I would play the living shit out of that!

Anything that's well written and has more legion (give me dem Romans) I will play.

I think this is what Bethesda should have done. Start from early, build up their own East Coast with new factions.
We all agree FO3 would make a lot more sense only a bit after the war.

I actually think that sounds really, really awesome (sans the Liberty Prime thing, sorry, but if I ever see that abomination in another Fallout game I'll kill myself).

Even if it doesn't spew shitty comical lines like "better be dead than red?" and just goes on a silent, merciless killing spree leaving decapitated bodies and scorched human-burgers while still having bits and pieces of Merylin Monrie Statue attached to/hanging from itself?

how can someone not love such a thing. I would like one...as a pet.

Last edited:
I like the idea of post Legion Colorado or Arizona with NCR, legion remnants + other varied local factions all in the mix

Also why does everyone seem to think that Obsidian has no chance at getting another game? I know there were alot of bugs on release but the patches ironed them out.

Also why does everyone seem to think that Obsidian has no chance at getting another game? I know there were alot of bugs on release but the patches ironed them out.

The real issue is that compared to when they did New Vegas Obsidian now is:
- Smaller
- Busier
- Less beholden to money from AAA publishers to keep afloat (they didn't own KotOR, NWN, Alpha Protocol, Fallout, Dungeon Siege, or South Park so money made by those games goes mostly to the rights holders; they do own Pillars of Eternity, so they get to keep virtually all that money and put it towards new projects.)

While certainly there are folks at Obsidian who would love to have another bite at the Fallout apple, it has to make economic sense before it happens. They'd have to hire a bunch of new people and it would have to end up being more worth their while than producing more stuff for an IP they actually own.

The one thing I keep thinking about is whether Bethesda would hire out the Fallout license to different studios to make Fallout games wholly dissimilar from Fallout 3-4. Like how Ubisoft was making those Assassin's Creed Chronicles games that are side scrolling platformers produced by a studio independent from Ubisoft. Bethesda has to have noticed that there's been a sort of revival in old-school CRPG-esque games, and they've even made their way to consoles (what with the Wasteland 2 director's cut.) Since a more tactical, isometric Fallout game that's not fully voiced would hardly damage the brand (since those already exist) I have to wonder if Bethesda isn't considering handing out $5-$10m to folks like Obsidian, InXile, Harebrained Schemes, Larian, or anybody else who makes that kind of game to make a Fallout branded one, instead of having to pony up $25-$50m for another AAA Fallout.

The real issue is that compared to when they did New Vegas Obsidian now is:
- Smaller
- Busier
- Less beholden to money from AAA publishers to keep afloat (they didn't own KotOR, NWN, Alpha Protocol, Fallout, Dungeon Siege, or South Park so money made by those games goes mostly to the rights holders; they do own Pillars of Eternity, so they get to keep virtually all that money and put it towards new projects.)

While certainly there are folks at Obsidian who would love to have another bite at the Fallout apple, it has to make economic sense before it happens. They'd have to hire a bunch of new people and it would have to end up being more worth their while than producing more stuff for an IP they actually own.

The one thing I keep thinking about is whether Bethesda would hire out the Fallout license to different studios to make Fallout games wholly dissimilar from Fallout 3-4. Like how Ubisoft was making those Assassin's Creed Chronicles games that are side scrolling platformers produced by a studio independent from Ubisoft. Bethesda has to have noticed that there's been a sort of revival in old-school CRPG-esque games, and they've even made their way to consoles (what with the Wasteland 2 director's cut.) Since a more tactical, isometric Fallout game that's not fully voiced would hardly damage the brand (since those already exist) I have to wonder if Bethesda isn't considering handing out $5-$10m to folks like Obsidian, InXile, Harebrained Schemes, Larian, or anybody else who makes that kind of game to make a Fallout branded one, instead of having to pony up $25-$50m for another AAA Fallout.

All of that makes sense but Bethesda might be motivated to make it happen, theres alot of negativity surrounding FO 4 and they know the next entry in the series needs.to be.good or it will be forgotten. Some FO3 fanboys hated NV but for the most part it was well received especially after the bugs were ironed out. Bethesda would be taking a risk producing the game themselves or handing it off to someone else, obsidian is a known quantity and a safer bet.

Thats the way I see it anyway, who knows what the glue sniffing jackasses that are responsible for FO 4 think

The problem is that they might think Fallout Shelter 2 would be a much more efficient way to profit if they needed to make a spin-off. Or even worse, they could make an isometric cRPG Fallout that's exclusive to mobile and requires microtransactions to continue. I don't think anyone here would want that. Definitely, definitely not.

The problem is that they might think Fallout Shelter 2 would be a much more efficient way to profit if they needed to make a spin-off. Or even worse, they could make an isometric cRPG Fallout that's exclusive to mobile and requires microtransactions to continue. I don't think anyone here would want that. Definitely, definitely not.

I think Bethesda has to understand that the audience for Fallout games is extremely segregated horizontally. So just like there's no perfect pasta sauce that appeals to everyone who likes pasta sauce, there can be no perfect Fallout game that appeals to everyone who likes Fallout. I mean the Fallout fanbase (as defined as the set of everybody who could potentially be very excited by a new Fallout game) includes both people whose 3 favorite games of all time likely contain more written text than all AAA games released in 2015 combined, and people who hate reading.

If Bethesda wants to capitalize on all the potential sales from the Fallout franchise, they can't just try to hit everybody at once since that's kind of impossible, and to simply make a point of targeting all the potentially lucrative subsets of their audience. The Fallout 3/NV split among fans shows at least that there are people who place a high value on a roleplaying experience and people who place a high value on the theme park experience. So why not simply make the extra-chunky pasta sauce and the spicy pasta sauce?

They'll never satisfy everyone. And while I would actually completely embrace the idea of Bethesda releasing their own Post-Apoc shooters with the Fallout name while allowing Obsidian (or people from Obsidian) to release their own New Vegases, I would also settle for a Bethesda Fallout that at least asks in the beginning if you'd like to do a dialogue-lite, Perk-based progression shooting type thing or a Skill-based (with checks, etc.) experience a la New Vegas, prior to starting a character. But then you still have them fucking up the lore, so I guess nobody wins either way.

I think I already mentioned that I never understood why game companies always think they only have to make one genre of games using one franchise... I mean Fallout universe is diverse and contains several different factions, why do Fallout games have all to be 1st person shooters these days? They could make most of their employees work on the next TES of Fallout shooter games and keep a small team of 10 people or something working on a Fallout RPG that is like the classic ones, or a strategy game in the world of Fallout, or a tactical combat one like FOT, or even a frikin card game... They would then release their big AAA game but could probably release their "niche" games before the AAA and profit from the hype for the main game (kinda like Fallout shelter worked). People that like the "niche" games would be happy and probably praise Bethesda's secondary games and the average joes would praise the big game... either way it would mean big profits for Bethesda.

But game devs seems fixated in just following one genre, one idea... They are like Hollywood now, they are scared to risk it and just play it safe.

Last edited:
Back