If Quake was done today...

zioburosky13 said:
It is easy to laugh at it while at the same time you do feel a bit nostalgic if you are a old-school gamer.
:mrgreen:
Yeah, I'm laughing on the inside.I'm also dying on the inside.I hate this generation:they have it so easy now thanks to the fact that all developers and big corperations think we are all morons.So go ahead and laugh,to bad the jokes on you. :(

I've never played Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem 3d etc and probably never will... The supposed "real deal of FPS" at the end of the video seemed pretty boring to me. :(

Wolf 3d popped my FPS cherry. Infiltration mod for Unreal Tournament was the first game I ever played with Iron Sights, it was lightyears ahead of it's time. The start of the evolution of my online name. I was in the clan [PIMP] so my name was [PIMP]DaddyMorBucks then joined [MAD] and became [MAD]MoBucks,(i only say this in hopes someone here played it and might recognize the name/clan) we all split between Ravenshield and Americas Army, once that died, it was the end of my serious competitive FPS days.
Anyway take a look at Infiltration it was awesome for it's time.
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MknLLwyChzU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MknLLwyChzU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Something is off about that 2002 release, we were playing it for years before that.

That brings back memories, used to play Infiltration on standard UT maps with bots. Meant everyone ran out of ammo but it was amazing for its time.
Frigate Assault + Infiltration = funtimes.

Video has a few lulzy moments, the sound of the keys being hit hard with increasing frustration was a nice touch.

Heh, I played Infiltration as well. It was pretty cool.

Lexx said:
Heh, I played Infiltration as well. It was pretty cool.
Me too. I liked how you could move the gun a little without changing the direction of walking.
I always tried to convince my buddies to play that game on LAN and not Counterstrike, but they never listened.

Surf Solar said:
The supposed "real deal of FPS" at the end of the video seemed pretty boring to me. :(

That's very much because it was *not* how FPS games played back then. What you see is a footage of the infamous world-record speedrun of Quake, showcasing a plethora of physics mindfuckery that is very, very far from conventional gameplay. While I agree with the basic notion that FPS games had a lot of their strategy neutered in recent years, that video is pretty stupid and fails to convey why classic FPS games were "better" (a subjective opinion). It just tries to dazzle you with speed.

Crni Vuk said:
If Quacke was done today it would be sold as RPG

Id intended to create an RPG but switched to what they did best for some reason (a crazy amount of dollars would be my guess) during development that's why Quake turned out a little (awesome) crazy.

Surf Solar said:
I've never played Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem 3d etc and probably never will... The supposed "real deal of FPS" at the end of the video seemed pretty boring to me. :(

Well, if you people didn't understand the point of the video, maybe "Call of Dooty" brings some light into the discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4yIxUOWrtw&feature=watch_response

The problem is not if Doom, Wolf 3D, Quake 1, F1/F2 or C&C 1/2/3 and RA 1/2 are the good days of gaming or not.
The problem is games today are pure and simply DUMB, diluded and pasteurized.

Is a cakewalk around some shody designed area the devs call atmospheric, with a fucking nanny holding your hand all the time and without any possible challenge.
Back in the old days you had to figure out how to craft a item, acquire some weapon, coordinete your units and companions or simply discover where is the good/bad path to follow.
Today's games tells everything you need to do upfront and substitute content and challenge with "coolness".

And this is fun? :?

The average individual going to primary school in 2011 has tested lower on all fundamental skills, compared to 2001...just imagine what how pathetic the children of these turkeys will test in 2031. The standards have fallen because the expectations have fallen, game companies aren't helping by feeding them brain-dead AAA games. Hopefully its a cyclical evolution that eventually leads back to better game design. :roll:

Also the number of people being tested is bigger because population grows, therefore the sandard is obviously lower....

Stanislao Moulinsky said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM

An inteersting video that touches the subject of hand holding.

"MEGA MAN MEGA MAN"

Is funny you post that because when watching the video posted by zioburosky13, one of youtube "indications" was the Bordlands 2 gameplay video.

The first thing I noted when watching it and make'd me scream "what the hell" was...the enemies have health bars!
So players nowdays are so dumb they need health bars on enemies? :roll:

The average individual going to primary school in 2011 has tested lower on all fundamental skills, compared to 2001...just imagine what how pathetic the children of these turkeys will test in 2031.

Source?

The first thing I noted when watching it and make'd me scream "what the hell" was...the enemies have health bars!
So players nowdays are so dumb they need health bars on enemies? Rolling Eyes

Health bars in simili-RPG games are clearly a product of modern, dumbed down game design.

While I do agree modern shooter design holds hands way too damn much, all these comments towards people being universally dumber now than 10 years ago because video games have taken a different turn are childish.

Back