Let's Talk About The FEV Virus

The King of The Worms

First time out of the vault
Okay so at one point someone had told me that the FEV virus shouldn't still be around because you destroy it in Fallout 1. Now this all well and good until you actually think about it realistically. Tell me why there wouldn't be multiple facilities creating the virus? I mean surely the facility you destroy in Fallout 1 couldn't possibly be the only one?

SuperMutants.jpg

Last edited:
Not to mention that the Forced Evolutionary Virus was a top secret project. Spreading it to other facilities (and in the hands of other companies) increases the risk of the Chinese and the general public finding out about it.

That part never bothered me. What bothered me was shit characters like Moira, with garbage locations and endless subway tunnels. Also the fact that you have to mod the game to make it playable.

A lot of the lore complaints don't really bug me. The lore is shit anyway. Fallout 2 had pretty shitty lore to be honest.

A lot of the lore complaints don't really bug me. The lore is shit anyway. Fallout 2 had pretty shitty lore to be honest.
Tbh it had a lot of good lore too. Fallout 2 is the ultimate mixed bag. But yeah inconsitent lore and bad writting are my biggest problems with nu fallout.

Like I said though pretty much all of the Fallout games have had inconsistent lore with lulzy pop culture crap thrown in. Fallout 1 and New Vegas are exceptions, even then you have Doctor Who and Star Wars references. We take this shit way too seriously. A sign of mental illness imo.

A sign of mental illness imo.
:-?

Fallout 1 and new vegas are the great ones. All the rest range from passable to insulting. Sure sometimes we can get carried away with nitpicking lore but lore and continuity are very important to a series like fallout. Ultimately it is just another franchise that has fallen from grace but I guess the fact that shit entries have become so popular is what really grinds my gears.

I agree with toront (about taking it too seriously) from the point of view that I'm not really a lorefreak myself. I don't care to take part in lore debates and I can handle mediocre and even bad lore and writing if I have fun playing the game. Lore and writing feels way way overhighlighted at the cost of caring about gameplay anyway.

Then again, if we care not about internal consistency and stuff like that, why should we care about idiotic shit like Moira, Little Lamplight or kid in the fridge beyond saying the are that.

Like I said though pretty much all of the Fallout games have had inconsistent lore with lulzy pop culture crap thrown in. Fallout 1 and New Vegas are exceptions, even then you have Doctor Who and Star Wars references. We take this shit way too seriously. A sign of mental illness imo.

Wouldn't signing up to No Mutants Allowed have been the first sign of mental illness?

I agree with toront (about taking it too seriously) from the point of view that I'm not really a lorefreak myself. I don't care to take part in lore debates and I can handle mediocre and even bad lore and writing if I have fun playing the game. Lore and writing feels way way overhighlighted at the cost of caring about gameplay anyway.

Then again, if we care not about internal consistency and stuff like that, why should we care about idiotic shit like Moira, Little Lamplight or kid in the fridge beyond saying the are that.

^This.

All I'm going to say is Orcs do not equal super mutants plain and simple.
I don't care that they retconned the FEV quantities, I only care about the fact that all the super mutants we ever come across are moronic insulting caricature's of what they could and should be.

I don't know about everyone else, but I prefer a smart enemy vs. a genetically engineered nincompoop.
Otherwise it feels like I'm beating up on mental patients who are so disconnected with reality they don't even know what it is they are really doing.

Uhm, Enclave had some barrels.
The Master transported the goo around for his on purpose.
Supermutants and others had it in their system.
The Glow peoduced anairborn variant.

The FEV is very well all around in the Fallout Universe.

Uhm, Enclave had some barrels.
The Master transported the goo around for his on purpose.
Supermutants and others had it in their system.
The Glow peoduced anairborn variant.

The FEV is very well all around in the Fallout Universe.

1. Source?

2. Fine but there was still only one facility so vault tek and the institute shouldn't have any

If it was used to create something else than Supermutants i would not mind expanding pool of Bethesda creations. But then it could be entirely something else.
Even if they made those Failed FEV Subjects from Fallout 3 to act like green orcs we have now and say that they were made with Reversed Evolutionary Virus it would still be better than dragging poor ol' FEV into every game like BOS.

The games Fallout 1 and 2.
jones.jpg

That simply ain't gonna cut it. All that is stated in both games? Where? By who? Was it a character? A holodisk? Hecken evidence is required. You can't just say "the games" and then call that evidence. Come on, man.

Well, the Enclave certainly had some FEV samples to make the FEV Curling-13 strain. But it seems they only had samples, not barrels full of it, so it seems unlikely that they shipped it around too much.
I don't think the Master was mentioned to ship around the FEV. He developed his dipping process in the Mariposa vats, and that's where all the known FEV was.
The airborne FEV from the Glow wasn't "real" FEV, it didn't actually mutate its victims in full, just sorta inoculates them. And even that was just a theory of the Lieutenant.
Judging from Fallout 1 and 2, FEV should not be anywhere but Mariposa with a few (destroyed) nutrient vats at West Tek.
Giving the FEV to Vault Tek and the Institute doesn't really make much sense since it's explicitly stated to be a top secret military project based in one/two locations.

Okay so at one point someone had told me that the FEV virus shouldn't still be around because you destroy it in Fallout 1. Now this all well and good until you actually think about it realistically. Tell me why there wouldn't be multiple facilities creating the virus? I mean surely the facility you destroy in Fallout 1 couldn't possibly be the only one?
Because FEV is highly-experimental shit, still being tested in Mariposa. You don't ship unfinished, unstable, untesteded shit all over the US, you test it first before mass-producing it.

It would be ok if maybe they sent some FEV over to Washington or Boston to be tested on local quarantine towns, but shipping huge quantities(Enogu to make literally hundreds of Supermutants) is nono.

Back