Lord British Presents: Shroud of the Avatar

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by TheWesDude, Mar 8, 2013.

1. IllusiveManJr

IllusiveManJr First time out of the vault

Aug 13, 2012
    I've never heard of him. I'm not really up to date on anything dev related for any games though.

2. Warhameron

Warhameron First time out of the vault

Dec 17, 2010
    Gariott have milions $ (online hazard games)and want cash from players... he just dont deserve for it.

3. woo1108

woo1108 Vault Senior Citizen

Sep 27, 2012
    Although he is very infamous for betray NC, his vision of this game is quite interesting. Graphics are bad but I don't care about graphic. Problem is, that there would ve nobody playing with this near around me since they will play MMO or game that has looking great grapic lol.

4. Sander

Sander This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Jul 5, 2003
    I did pay attention. The MMO component is a crucial part of the pitch. A lot of this stuff makes no sense if it isn't online. Buying houses which are limited in a single player game? Paying taxes on your property in an offline game unless you pitch in $500+ (yeah that'll be difficult to mod out in a single-player game)? PVP as a crucial part of the pitch? It is more than just a social component.

This is an MMO pitch with the added option of maybe playing offline, which would seem to break a lot of the pitched ideas.

5. FearMonkey

FearMonkey Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 12, 2011
    You don't have to do the housing in the single-player offline mode to complete the game.

6. Dirk Magirk

Dirk Magirk Interstellar Vacuum Road Warrior oTO Orderite

Oct 30, 2008
    The enjoyment I got out of Ultima Online in it's early days shall never be matched or surpassed by any other MMORPG for all time - there, I said it. It shall be interesting to see what this develops into mind you. I shall keep a watch on this.

7. Wintermind

Wintermind Vault Senior Citizen

Jan 21, 2011
    You should try EVE then. It's the only MMO that has as many amusing stories and shit as UO. UO stories are /great/

8. mobucks

mobucks literally Orderite

May 22, 2010
    remember ImaNewbie?

Hehe:

9. FearMonkey

Oct 12, 2011
    New Update: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-forsaken-virtues-0/posts/425574?ref=activity

Some important information:

This fills my heart with song. If I had more money, I'd throw it all at this project. ^_^

Unfortunately, I don't. Oh well. :(

Also amazing is that they seem to think it's rather simple to do something both EA and Blizzard can't fucking do. LMAO

10. Geech

Geech It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 2, 2008
    So, they have finally released an update that explains in some detail how the online play actually works. Maybe they had before, I don't know, but I wasn't going to watch hour long chats just to see if they answered the one questions I wanted to know.

In short, it sounds like an MMO light. My impression is that they're essentially trying to create an MMO style experience without having to build all of the MMO server infrastructure. I am no longer interested in this project at all.

11. FearMonkey

Oct 12, 2011
    15 minutes left and they just hit $2M. :)

12. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Jul 16, 2009
    Is it wrong that the thing that interests me the most is the interview Richard Garriot will do with Noah "what's a paladin?" Antwiller as part of the 1.5 million tier reward? :lol:

13. FearMonkey

Oct 12, 2011
    Yes, because the thing that should interest people the most should be that this is a new game by the guy who created the best game of all time; Ultima IV. :p

14. woo1108

woo1108 Vault Senior Citizen

Sep 27, 2012
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wckfc-0WyPs?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0"></iframe>

15. SimpleMinded

SimpleMinded Vault Fossil

Jun 17, 2003
    That inventory management looks really tedious.

16. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    You've never played the old Ultimas I take it?

17. FearMonkey

Oct 12, 2011
    Just watched video and I'm super happy I backed this. Looks like a good time. :)

Yeah, exactly like the old Ultimas like VII and on.

18. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf eaten by a grue.

Aug 28, 2005
    I bought the complete Ultima bundle in the GoG summer sale so I'm quite certain I will have absolutely no time for this new game. The last one I played in the old days was 4. Now I have 1-9 plus Underworld 1-2. No rent or PvP necessary.

19. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    ...which was, frankly, rather tedious.

Watched the demo, doesn't look like anything great, tbh.