Major Storyline Defect??

coliphorbs

Look, Ma! Two Heads!
Alright, finished the game, done my share of sidequests...

One (important!) question goes entirely unexplored in the game and totally boggles my mind.

[spoiler:470068b182]Okay, so we weren't born in Vault 101. Our parents didn't live there either.

... How the hell did we get there then?[/spoiler:470068b182]

Pops left Rivet City with you and Star Paladin Cross. Got to Megaton and from there gained entry to Vault 101.

Simple.

See, it's not that simple. How does one simply "gain entry" to an atomic-war sealed vault, which "no one ever enters, and no one ever leaves"?

The vault dwellers are not exactly worldly, out-going people.

coliphorbs said:
Alright, finished the game, done my share of sidequests...

One (important!) question goes entirely unexplored in the game and totally boggles my mind.

[spoiler:5fac67a4a6]Okay, so we weren't born in Vault 101. Our parents didn't live there either.

... How the hell did we get there then?[/spoiler:5fac67a4a6]

And also

[spoiler:5fac67a4a6]Why the Overseer freaked out, killed one guy, and wanted to kill the player when he knew my dad was from the outside already?

Despite the fact the dad was always asking me why did I left the Vault and none of the dialogue options were "Those fuckers tried to kill me for fuck sake!!"[/spoiler:5fac67a4a6]

The no one ever enters/leaves was broken earlier. There are references to this on the Overseer's terminal, where there is a record of a scouting mission years earlier. I believe one of the older residents even mentions it later.

EDIT: Reply to above: He "freaked out" because the younger generation had no knowledge of the previous breaches and their consequences. He wanted to prevent the "mistakes" from occurring again. Did he overreact? Obviously, but the whole point of the Overseer's character is he is an incompetent leader.

Earlier than 20 years ago, when your father brought you to the vault? Interesting, I'll replay the intro and be sure to check it out sometime.

Still, it doesn't explain why ol' James was permitted to come and shack up in the vault. Even if he was a vault dweller originally (?), would he be allowed to return as if nothing happened? Given the overseer's paranoia, I doubt it.

Then people living in the V 101 are stupid.

That was the experiment? To put all the retards together?

Good to hear that, I haven't brushed up on my "anime" in awhile, truly an astounding revelation if I do say so myself sir.

The no one ever enters/leaves was broken earlier. There are references to this on the Overseer's terminal, where there is a record of a scouting mission years earlier. I believe one of the older residents even mentions it later.

Umm... the "rule" has been broken a ton of times, if you pay attention to the story as it unfolds.

Your father gained entry years ago. The locals speak about "Every few years" seeing someone from V101. The whole "noone ever enters... " is playing up the propaganda of V101's fascist leader. It's meant to get the player to realize that the character has never had any hope of leaving the vault, and then chipping away at everything he ever believed by exposing more and more of the lies.

So, what's the consensus? How did James weasel his way (back?) into Vault 101?

Another thing that completely escapes me...

Didn't James kill Autumn in the Rotunda? How come he just pops up later and captures you at Vault 87?

coliphorbs said:
Didn't James kill Autumn in the Rotunda? How come he just pops up later and captures you at Vault 87?

And a third time, again at the Rotunda.

Do you actually see him die, tho'? I kind of assumed he...erm...escaped and was cured of radiation poisoning?

I imagine James got into the vault via his science talents. Even in a vault those would surely prove very useful for the community.

I am guessing the overseer freaked out because James set a bunch of radroaches loose to facilitate his escape?

Back