Many a True Nerd "Fallout 3 is Better than you Think"

Discussion in 'Fallout 3 Discussion' started by CT Phipps, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Carbon Dated and Proud

Nov 26, 2007
    Wasn't it Bungie?

2. Norzan

Norzan Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 7, 2017
    Pretty sure it was ID Software since they are under the Zenimax umbrella (well under the Microsoft one now anyway).

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  3. Hardboiled Android

Hardboiled Android Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 7, 2015
    People always say this, and it is true, but the thing about walking around a theme park is it's a heck of a lot of fun and the set pieces are pretty neat. Fallout 3's exploration and set pieces provides the bones for an interesting world and interesting stories that are more than a momentary distraction, but the lack of coordination or vision from the lead writer and devs means it never rises above the level of themepark.

Fallout 4 is a themepark in the sense that it's world of momentary fleeting distractions and set pieces, but the difference is that these are largely uninteresting and uninspired even at the most base level.

Pretty sure it was ID

4. Señor Wally

Señor Wally Mildly Dipped

Feb 27, 2021
    Kind of a lame thing to have as the only improvement. Mechanical improvements are nice, but uh, I don't exactly play Fallout for the shooting. Such a small victory.

5. Norzan

Norzan Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 7, 2017
    I like theme parks, in real life. The thing with theme parks in RPGs specifically is that too many "cool" setpieces shatter my suspension of disbelief and to me that's a big no-no. The game should be sucking me in into its world, but too many of these things and makes me question how this world have this much "cool" stuff and that takes me out of the experience.

I like cool setpieces myself, but in my opinion they should be used sparingly. Because too many of them and they become mundane. And that's what happens with the Bethesda Fallouts, and really the Elder Scrolls since Oblivion.

https://www.vg247.com/fallout-4-id-software-gunplay

I guess both did.

6. Alphons

Alphons National Beholder

Aug 9, 2017
    Ah, a fellow settlement building enjoyer.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 5
  7. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Carbon Dated and Proud

Nov 26, 2007
    Indeed! It is the attempt of 'Fallout world experience in a nutshell' that makes it a failure; it's like taking the [Pirates of the Carribean] theme park ride, rather than watching the movie it was based upon.

I don't know how apt (or not) it is, but it reminded me of this:

8. Hardboiled Android

Hardboiled Android Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 7, 2015
    The movie was based upon the ride

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  9. Señor Wally

Señor Wally Mildly Dipped

Feb 27, 2021
    Oh fuck yeah. You know it.

10. Sn1p3r187

Sn1p3r187 Carolinian Shaolin Monk

Apr 7, 2014
    Fucking Todd man. A simple change of dates ducked up the entire story and setting of Fallout 3