most overrated movies?

Avatar- It was just a weak story with a weak concept with good CGI.
I'm not going to lie, the special effects were on point, but for me, that means nothing.
CGI will be outdated one day, we'll have a film with better special effects, in fact, I'll say nowadays it looks fake, the movement is a bit stiff at places, they look like cartoon characters to say the less.

Overrated directors, in my mind :
-Coppola : Yeah, I loved the godfather. It has been my first cinematic shock. Apocalypse now has good scenes, but it's not a masterpiece. Apart from that, Coppola made no interesting movies, and yet, is said to be the ultimate boss.
-Woody Allen : keeps repeating the same movie, over, over, over and over again. Rich folks, beautiful women with instable minds provoke havoc in a traditional structure.
-Almodovar : Long movies dealing with what he thinks is "drama"... Generally, normal human behaviour, and it's not interesting enough to make movies about it.
-Gus Van Sant : because it's long and with no dialogs doesn't mean it's deep. It's just long and without dialogues. Made a few great movies, though, but I still can't forget Elephant and Last Days.
-Lars von Trier : Empty and pretentious filmography, with nothing to say. Good cinematography, though, some shots are beautiful, but the movie is still empty.
-Paul W.S Anderson : Resident Evil. Nuff said. Imagine "The Last of Us" made by this guy, with Ellie doing matrix flips and ninja clickers.
-Ridley Scott : sorry, sorry. 90% of his movies are masterpieces, and the man has proven himself a genius. But it comes a time when you have to quit. When you hire Lost's writer for Promotheus, Green Lantern's writer for Blade Runner's remake, when you actively attack the ones actually reviving your own franchise and when you start to make Robin Hood and Exodus, maybe it's time to quit. Leave the audience with good memories.

I also find Lord of War way, way overrated. Alright, the director also made Gattaca, which is a masterpiece indeed, but I found Lord of War awkwardly written, strangely shot and badly cast.

On the other hand, there are directors who'd deserve way, way more recognition. I think about Tarsem Singh (The fall), Joe Wright (Atonement, Annah), Nicolas Winding Refn (Pusher, Drive etc.) and Tomas Alfredson (Let the right one in).

I feel nothing but apathy towards Harry Potter. I don't see the appeal at all. Perhaps it's an anglophile thing?
Have you seen them all ? I felt nothing for the first and last ones, but "Harry Potter and the order of Phoenix" had... I don't know, a charm I can't really explain. Good cinematography, soundtrack, an overall eerie yet cold ambiance. The others, I don't even remember them.
I wasn't a big fan of Harry Potter to begin with, I rather preferred the golden compass when I was a kid. Too bad the movie was garbage, but at least, there's hope for the TV series they're planning.

Yes, yes, yes, couldn't agree more. I remember disliking that movie and a friend of mine telling me "It's the next star wars" and people on the internet saying "you just have to see it in 3D to UNDERSTAND how good it is." Bullshit, if I have to see something in 3D to enjoy it, they fucked up. I saw a lot of Scarface and the Godfather being mentioned here, which hurt me right in my heart at first because I love those movies to death but after I thought about it for a second..... Yeah, I do agree on both but I think the Godfather gets it much worse honestly, film snobs worship that movie like it's a religion. It's one of my favorite movies ever but it's not a flawless masterpiece. A great example of this would be some bullshit I read in the description of a Godfather soundtrack video on youtube a while back.

And I found the quote... "The Godfather is an extravaganza, nigh flawless, a cinematic magnum opus, ubiquitously acclaimed for its brilliance and for being in a league of its own. The Godfather doesn't depict poetic justice but rather portrays the triumph of perspicacious potency over abject vulnerability. The Godfather is known, not for its cogency but for its eloquence. " It's bullshit, film class try hards like this that piss me off. That kind of pretentious crap annoys me to no end and sadly, it'll follow that movie forever.

Jesus @Paladin Waffles judging from that quote someone had a thesaurus. Damn I'm all for be deep and thought evoking but eventually those words just get in the way of your point. I agree when people do that their point, if there is one, is overshadowed by the prentious bullshit by the end of their comment.

but rather portrays the triumph of perspicacious potency over abject vulnerability.

Could they Have just said "good judgment helped in a shitty situation"? Goddamn.[/QUOTE]

Thread bump. The thing. Come at me @TorontRayne and @Mr Fish.

No but real post, the first two mad max movies.

They're great and among my favorite movies but c'mon thunderdome is the best one.

Last edited by a moderator:
No way. Road Warrior beats Thunderdome any day of the week. Oh and when it comes to overrated movies look no further than The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

It adds much to the lore of the series, but Tina Turner brings it down imo.

They tried to make it an American blockbuster instead of a cult classic.

Goonies
Xmen
Xmen 2
All the good xmen movies really they're great but people revere them to an underserved level.

Most of the Xmen movies aren't that great as you say, but the first two started the modern superhero boom and are still decent since they used a lot of practical effects. The latest one (Apocalypse) was horrible.

I never get why Episode 7 gets so much hate.
I may do a thread/essay on why I think it's great and the major criticisms I commonly hear of it are... Wrong.

tumblr_mya3owngZV1t08swio1_500.png

I don't understand why this movie is so hyped, I even thought that whatever her name was Elsa or something had a horrible singing voice that made me cringe in my seat when I went to watch it with my wife and her family...

Back