My issues with New Vegas

I mean, we have some fantastic game engines out there at the moment, if anything the more technoligy progresses, the more limitations are cast aside

On the other hand the more realistic the graphic, the more the unrealistic stuff sticks out.

Stanislao Moulinsky said:
I mean, we have some fantastic game engines out there at the moment, if anything the more technoligy progresses, the more limitations are cast aside

On the other hand the more realistic the graphic, the more the unrealistic stuff sticks out.

Not at all, both graphics and realism are easily handlable within a single engine, the problem is specificly with Gamebryo.

is it just me or does it really feel that way that the more "modern" (visualy speaking) games become the more limitations appear.

IMO the problem lies more with developers being less and less dedicated to making the game 'perfect'. The lower the goals, the lower the result. The great oldies were "ahead of time" and showed off tech limitations. The average modern game is uninspired and shows off the limitations of the developers (or the conditions of their work).

Not at all, both graphics and realism are easily handlable within a single engine, the problem is specificly with Gamebryo.

I think what he meant is, it's disproportionately more work to handle realism because you need to pay a lot more attention to detail.

Ausdoerrt said:
I think what he meant is, it's disproportionately more work to handle realism because you need to pay a lot more attention to detail.

You have to account for the fact that games are now made by hundreds of developers of an average budget of '$15million' according to a magazine I read last year, so it more or less balances out.

Ausdoerrt said:

That too, but what I meant is that with old engines you had automatically to suspend disbelief and because of that technical crudeness it was hard that something graphical would put you out of the game.
Instead with the realistic graphics we have today glitches, physics weirdness, the occasional low-res texture and selective environmental interaction stick out as distinctive flaws.

Ausdoerrt said:
IMO the problem lies more with developers being less and less dedicated to making the game 'perfect'. The lower the goals, the lower the result. The great oldies were "ahead of time" and showed off tech limitations. The average modern game is uninspired and shows off the limitations of the developers (or the conditions of their work).
Yes! Thats the explanation I was searching for. Thank you saved me from writting a book that no one would read anyway :P

I guess what I meant was less about limitations but more regarding priorities in game development. Like the idea that you have to spend several millions on marketing and advertising but actual developing (programming) is not even demanding a faction of that.

i would be happy if they went back to their roots and make it "birds eye view". turn based combat. that way, vats would serve the same purpose that it did in the original. having a skill based on the 1-100 scale is another flaw. you used to be able to max your skills to 300% (if you had the time) giving you a reason to explore every area. now add in the lvl cap. my first time playing fallout 3 i wandered the wastes and mapped out almost everything (except DC) before i even bothered with the main quest line. only to realize that i am no longer gaining experience. that was the biggest mistake they made. why is a lvl cap necessary? as soon as it happens i dont even want to play anymore. i finished NV today(the house always wins) and it wasnt long after i capped lvl 30. but there is still 15 quests on my board. and probably more i have yet to discover. why would anyone even bother finishing them off. for achievements i guess. but at that point it seems to be more of a chore than anything else. i expected they would have corrected the mistakes they made with fallout 3. it just seems like they looked the other way while developing.

Ferrobbra said:
i would be happy if they went back to their roots and make it "birds eye view". turn based combat.

Eh. I'm not in love with isometric views and turn-based combat. Those are merely vessels within which I experience the game.

I am, however, in love with localized notoriety, black humor and non-combat resolutions. These aspects I consider the meat of the game.

However which way I am brought to the game itself, I want that meat.

Ferrobbra said:
If only the got rid of the level cap.

What skill/perk is there even left to get after level 30? You're so hilariously overpowered by that point that there's no point in further progression.

Whatever game is next in Fallout's future it'll run on a iD Tech 5 engine, thats as close to a sure thing as you can get.

Felspawn said:
Whatever game is next in Fallout's future it'll run on a iD Tech 5 engine, thats as close to a sure thing as you can get.

Todd Howard's discussed this before and said they aren't likely to use ID technology for future releases. If they do another Fallout on this generation of the consoles, they will be using their updated Gamebryo engine.

Jesus Christ, I don't think a third Fallout on a Gamebryo engine (yeah, updated) is gonna be really nice.

Hell, The Gamebryo engine's been barely updated since Morrowind. I highly doubt they can do anything better with it.

Faceless_Stranger said:
Relentless666 said:
Hell, The Gamebryo engine's been barely updated since Morrowind. I highly doubt they can do anything better with it.
Actually, Morrowind ran on NetImmerse, the precursor to Gamebryo.

Correct. And the Gamebryo they're working on now is an improvement on what was used for Fallout 3. The improvement being a bit larger on the scale than Oblivion to Fallout 3 was (according to Todd Howard, at least).

korindabar said:
Faceless_Stranger said:
Relentless666 said:
Actually, Morrowind ran on NetImmerse, the precursor to Gamebryo.

Correct. And the Gamebryo they're working on now is an improvement on what was used for Fallout 3. The improvement being a bit larger on the scale than Oblivion to Fallout 3 was (according to Todd Howard, at least).

Fantastic, if we're lucky we might get shadows?

Nahh...They won't spoil us

That remains to be seen :-p Though there was this excerpt from on interview he did...:

Eurogamer: Has he [John Carmack] helped to solve any technical problems in your games?

Todd Howard: Not specifically. He's helped validate some of our thinking. So if we say, "Hey, this is how we're doing shadows, you're John Carmack, what do you think?" And he says, "You're going about it the right way," and he gives us some things to consider at a high level - things he's messed with in shadow filtering and so forth. It's up to us to go try that and see how it registers in our tech.

So, you know... shadows. Maybe.

korindabar said:
That remains to be seen :-p Though there was this excerpt from on interview he did...:

Eurogamer: Has he [John Carmack] helped to solve any technical problems in your games?

Todd Howard: Not specifically. He's helped validate some of our thinking. So if we say, "Hey, this is how we're doing shadows, you're John Carmack, what do you think?" And he says, "You're going about it the right way," and he gives us some things to consider at a high level - things he's messed with in shadow filtering and so forth. It's up to us to go try that and see how it registers in our tech.

So, you know... shadows. Maybe.

Bethesdas hitting it big time! A post current gen game possibly with shadowing! Get in Todd Howard you beast of a designer!

Back