My review of Fallout: the Series Season One 9/10

I forgot about long living species, yeah I guess it doesn't make sense for levitating to be completely forgotten. I just never really cared about TES' lore at all, I did played Skyrim since I was 7 years old, loved this game to death, gotta some day play the classics, I bet they're the Fallout 1-2 of TES.

I forgot about long living species, yeah I guess it doesn't make sense for levitating to be completely forgotten. I just never really cared about TES' lore at all, I did played Skyrim since I was 7 years old, loved this game to death, gotta some day play the classics, I bet they're the Fallout 1-2 of TES.
Eh, not exactly… Arena and Daggerfall are even older than F1 and F2. I’ve only played Daggerfall (the version remade in Unity specifically), and while there’s a lot about it that I enjoy that’s missing from the later games, there’s a lot that isn’t so great. The vast, vast majority of quests are Radiant, and the game seems even more focused on dungeon crawling than the later titles. And the dungeons aren’t that interesting, being randomly generated.

Daggerfall is a very impressive dungeon crawler at its core.
Morrowind is where it's at.

See, I like Morrowind too, but ever since playing Daggerfall I’ve started to realize that Morrowind was the first example of the now-standard Bethesda formula of taking something from the previous game that needed to be improved and, instead of improving it, just dropping it entirely. Morrowind was such a massive departure from Daggerfall that I’m sure it pissed a lot of fans off. I know a lot of the Daggerfall devs left because they disagreed with the direction the game took.

See, I like Morrowind too, but ever since playing Daggerfall I’ve started to realize that Morrowind was the first example of the now-standard Bethesda formula of taking something from the previous game that needed to be improved and, instead of improving it, just dropping it entirely. Morrowind was such a massive departure from Daggerfall that I’m sure it pissed a lot of fans off. I know a lot of the Daggerfall devs left because they disagreed with the direction the game took.
True, Morrowind was scaled down a lot, but personally I think it was mostly streamlining that was well done. Some stuff could have remained tho, I agree. All in all I think it was improved.

I heard Morrowind is the best? Played it for a couple of hours, was pretty fun, even read a whole in-game 20 page book about thief bride fighting her way to marry the guard, but forgot about the game entirely for some reason, it was my 2nd attempt at playing the game.

Daggerfall let's you look at a healthy pair of tits whenever you want. Hard to beat that :^)

Both games are enjoyable, daggerfall was incredibly unique because it had the climbing mode which let you do some awesome things, much like levitate in Morrowind.

Daggerfall let's you look at a healthy pair of tits whenever you want. Hard to beat that :^)

Both games are enjoyable, daggerfall was incredibly unique because it had the climbing mode which let you do some awesome things, much like levitate in Morrowind.
Yeah I do very much miss climbing. Especially since you got classes like Acrobat and shit, and burglars. Would have made sense.

Daggerfall was too ambitious for it's time. Morrowind needed to be streamlined. Unfortunately Bethesda would take streamlining too far with future titles.

I heard Morrowind is the best? Played it for a couple of hours, was pretty fun, even read a whole in-game 20 page book about thief bride fighting her way to marry the guard, but forgot about the game entirely for some reason, it was my 2nd attempt at playing the game.
"best" comes down to a matter of different values whether somebody favors Daggerfall or Morrowind. IMO Morrowind is one of the best written games of all time and goes to great lengths to fully realize the setting, even with it being severely downscaled from what they originally planned. Vvardenfell alone is almost too much game.

Modders have been working on Tamriel Rebuilt for ages just to realize what Bethesda originally planned by featuring all of Morrowind province. They're releasing expansions at a steady clip now though. There's a new region for Tamriel Rebuilt being released every year.

Amen brother.

I mean, it is kinda weird when you walk into some random house and you see a lady holding a scepter with her tit hanging out. The first time I saw that I assumed I had stumbled upon some important character. Nope, just a generic civilian NPC. But the fact that the Temple of Dibella has sexy priestess’s (and priests) is something that is sorely missed from later entries. On the other hand, literally every temple looks like a strip joint. They could’ve toned it down a little.

the last thing i want is to see NuBethesda try to make sexy content that gives boners to 12 year olds

To which I have to wonder, the Starfield engine? Yeah, it failed at making a space-sim game, what a shocker, but...what if they took that engine and did this: Repurposed it to generate areas on a full-scale map of Tamriel or the USA post-Great War.

You could start anywhere you wished; random encounters while traveling, Tedious Travel/Fallout/Kingdom Come: Deliverance-style, would stop you and generate a small area to fight in; some areas could be handcrafted with locations guaranteed to appear; etc. Add some Hearts of Iron IV/Samurai Warriors: Empires army progression on top, and I can see not only Daggerfall again, but some Mount and Blade/ACKS (Adventurer - Conqueror - King System) added to both series.

@Hassknecht @Bradylama

My primary complaint about the show are the following:

1. Essentially the show feels incomplete at eight episodes. It should have been at least ten episodes long or they should have just sliced away the filler and made it into a two hour movie. They could have done either by removing the Vault 4 subplot. The show feels simultaneously a little underbaked while also being a little too long. I give it a lot of praise and I think said praise is well deserved but I do have criticisms--I just prefer to be happy about the parts I like over negative.

2. Moldaver's character never really comes together and that's a big mistake. She's a cold fusion scientist from before the war who is out for revenge for her possible lover/best friend that's Lucy's mom and was also accused of being a communist. The fact so many questions like, "How is she still alive 200 years later" and "why did she let Hank's kids be collateral damage" aren't things that I believe the show doesn't have answers for but they are sort of left hanging.

3. I don't doubt we're going to get to see Point A to B to C with Cooper with the show implying that he'll go after Vault-Tec, divorce his wife, get blacklisted, and lose everything. The show gives us enough to know he ends up doing birthday parties and gets labeled a pinko. However, that not happening is another part of the element that prevents us from getting really as far as we could have with the show.

4. The "surprise" revelation of Vault-Tec as the big bad is something that I don't have much to say about because there's not much to say. Basically, it provides a non-political answer to the story that has always been political. The fact they barely mention the Enclave when Vault-Tec is a major part of it seems silly.

5. Speaking of which, the fact that I don't think the fact that China is ever mentioned by name is noticeable. I don't think Fallout was ever going to be shown in China given all the media they've banned but the fact that they so studiously avoided mentioning who exactly was holding the other nukes is eye-rolling.

6. Hank Maclean is a character that isn't much of a character so much as a plot device. He's shown to be a loving father and willing to die for his children as well as sacrifice his fellow Vault dwellers but also nuked a city because his wife stole his kids/work for Vault-Tec to wipe the surface clean. I feel like there's a lot to sound down that square peg to fit a round hole. It's not that I can't believe it's a character but it's such a 180 that I don't get what it is. Loyalty to Vault-Tec over the Enclave is a lot harder to buy.

7. The "Maximus doesn't know what sex is" scene is just stupid even if we assume he's high as fuck (which I do).

8. The lack of the US government's culpability or the Pre-War government is also frustrating as we could at least have a crooked Senator or two. They make nods to the government being under the corporate thumb and that WestTek and Vault-Tec are part of the Enclave anyway but it feels like they present Vault-Tec as the bad guy as an independent section versus the Enclave.

9. I am fine for disaster economics and Atlas Shrugged predicted that the end of the world would be a good thing for capitalism. They could have written it smarter, though. Like mentioning they planned a limited nuclear exchange or otherwise showing that their continued support of hawkishness led to the retaliation. In other words, Vault-Tec shouldn't be perfectly geniuses but because they're idiots.

10. NCR's destruction is also something that only really feels like a tragedy for those who played the games. It's also something brought about by an outside third party versus all of the issues that had been brought about by New Vegas.

So, 9/10

Is it fair that combining all of these flaws only lowers the score by one point? Well, I measure things by comparing the good to the bad.

Last edited:
The keys jangle too nicely to give it anything bit a nigh perfect score.

The keys jangle too nicely to give it anything bit a nigh perfect score.

Like I said, I go overboard in my praise perhaps but its hard to discuss my criticisms when the attempt is, "I could think this could be done better" versus "It is garbage and an abomination to writing."

It's sort of like discussing Fallout 3.

I'd love to say what I think they could have done differently but the general reaction here is it's so terrible there's no point in anything but pretending it doesn't exist.

Like I said, I go overboard in my praise perhaps but its hard to discuss my criticisms when the attempt is, "I could think this could be done better" versus "It is garbage and an abomination to writing."

It's sort of like discussing Fallout 3.

I'd love to say what I think they could have done differently but the general reaction here is it's so terrible there's no point in anything but pretending it doesn't exist.
I do think it's quite a bad show, but I agree that the anti- side of things gets too clouded with general and hyperbolic scorn.

"OK yeah it's not 9/10 levels of great but I don't want to agree with the chuds"

"OK yeah it's not 9/10 levels of great but I don't want to agree with the chuds"

I suspect it's also a case of what exactly criteria you're granting your score about. I enjoyed this show more than any other show in 2024 so far. It's Fallout, I love that it's on screen, and I think it did a fantastic job of realizing the setting on screen and blows Halo away.

I'd say in pure storytelling it's an 8.75 so I round up rather than down.

I also carry the view of:

* I hate it
** I don't like it
*** I like it
**** I really like it
***** I love it

Back