New Fallout Fan's First Playthrough Of Fallout 1/2

Discussion in 'General Fallout Discussion' started by Uber Morpth, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Carbon Dated and Proud

Nov 26, 2007
    Believe it or not... V.A.T.S. is a retronym; Bethesda recycled the name of a map location in Fallout's Mariposa military base.

*Notice Frame #1 of that video shows a Fallout 1 supermutant very close up, in profile.

It always bothered me that Bethesda's engine was totally capable of running the entire game realtime with the art style of the Fallout 1 rendered cutscenes... but they didn't do it. :(

They assigned meaning for each letter; Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System. It does not exist in Fallout 1 & 2 as a Vault-Tec product, or as a tangible object at all. It is simply the UI for an aimed shot; and depending on character Traits, it's not even an option for all characters to have it.

Yeah.

You might like this:
    (Skip a bit, to the 1 minute mark.)

This detail was lost in Fallout 2 IIRC. I hope you visited the coast in Fallout 1; special map with the Ocean on it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  2. ResetRPG

ResetRPG Hail Damn State

Dec 16, 2018
    True. That's mostly why I like Fallout 2 more than the newer games, but I'd still probably enjoy Oblivion with guns combat wise more, than a pretty wonky and dated turn based combat system that's really slow, mostly just because of the speed of combat.

Nothing really beats Baldur's Gate for me tho, no game post BG has had the strategic depth and maneuverability that those games gave me, not the mention, combat was usually fast, as to not waste my time waiting for 30 fucking characters to take 1 turn.

But I guess it's a highly subjective thing lol.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  3. ResetRPG

ResetRPG Hail Damn State

Dec 16, 2018
    I'm aware of this.

Probably why I find it more fun. Fallout combat wise was a slow mess that basically just felt like a chore to get through in order to get to the next dialogue sequence or exploration, whereas Fallout 3 was significantly more tolerable, and probably more fun, relatively speaking.

Well of course, that's why I made sure to keep it entirely subjective, you can definitely make an argument for the OGs being better, I just won't agree.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  4. Gizmojunk

Nov 26, 2007
    The curious detail about turn based combat, is that the player always has the knowledge of every action that came before theirs. Ideally this influences their course of action.

*This is actually lost on older games that play too fast on modern systems. The old SSI Gold Box games could play well enough on later Pentiums despite being written for 8086 machines, but once the player's combat turn ended—everything flicked instantly into a new position; blink of the eye, and every turn for all (possibly dozens) of enemies happened at once, and the player had no idea what transpired. Their own characters could reappear instantly dead. Hence it was unplayable.

Fallout does not play too fast to see what occurs, but I would not (myself) play the game with combat sped up.... but then I would intentionally replay the Regulator fight, and liked starting three way wars in New Reno.

I liked Oblivion's combat too, just not for a Fallout sequel, of course.

I had high hopes for FO3 when I bought the Oblivion CE (because I had just learned of them buying the IP, and announcing FO3). It never once occurred to me that they would clone Oblivion as their Fallout sequel. I've read that the under the hood their FO3 world is still called Tamriel in the files.

__

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  5. Risewild

Risewild Carbon Dated and Proud
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    I guess you could use Morrowind combat system. If your weapon skill is low, you will miss a lot. Like a real RPG should be. But then you get all the people complaining about seeing the bullets go through the enemies and it still missed.

You could just make it so that in Fallout, the bullets that do not hit the enemy would actually miss the enemy model, but you would still get people complaining that the enemy was right dead center on the sights and you missed. :lol:

There's no winning this. >_>

• [Rad] [Rad] x 3
  6. Gizmojunk

Nov 26, 2007
    Superhot; with APs instead of free movement; Bethesda's V.A.T.S.

Not perfect, not even approaching ideal IMO, but much better and closer to the proper series combat than what we got.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  7. SquidWard

SquidWard Pirate and Bankrobber oTO Orderite

Jun 1, 2018
    Fuck, I never noticed that.
    upload_2020-6-26_8-57-43.png

8. Gizmojunk

Nov 26, 2007

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1