New Fallout trailer

Is that a real article or a meme? Because if it's a meme, I guess that explains why I can't find it.

:confused:
I guess it's from this recent interview:
https://collider.com/fallout-tv-show-cast-creators/

Probably this final part:
Jonah, video game adaptations are not new. How do you please the fans of the game while also bringing in new audiences?

NOLAN: I don’t think you really can set out to please the fans of anything, or please anyone other than yourself. I think you have to come into this trying to make the show that you wanna make and trusting that, as fans of the game, we would find the pieces that were essential to us with the games and try to do the best version of those that we can. It’s a fool’s errand to try to figure out how to make people happy in that way. You’ve gotta make yourself happy, and I’ve made myself very happy with the show.

It's corpo speak for fans will probably watch it anyway we want new blood to consume fallout media. It was always going to be this way, Benny something the game was something from the something meme

I was waiting for the day we got something like this from the showrunners.
View attachment 28150

My extremely optimistic interpretation is that it won't appeal to Bethesda Fallout fans (the majority) and maybe more to fans of the originals? From the looks of all the material released so far, it'll probably be end up being 'Fallout 4: The Series', at best superficially, at worst entirely, so it might end up being disliked by everyone. When it gets dropped all at once, people will watch it, rant and rave, then forget about it in a few months. Doubtful it'll receive the same amount of praise as TLoU did. I'll watch the first couple episodes out of curiousity as will some here (even if they won't admit it :wink:)

Think for a minute as to how many fans of the game series started with 3 and 4 vs the originals. "Source Material", especially in todays world of entertainment, is loosely adapted based on - what sold the most and/or what's the most popular. Combining the two you get - a director that knows little about Fallout except on a surface level basis (what's popular), creating something that "He" wants, meanwhile inserting recognizable iconography in an attempt to draw in the catchall "Fan". Sound familiar? This being set on the West Coast basically damns any canon that took place there. Also, Todd loves his dragon breaks.

Think for a minute as to how many fans of the game series started with 3 and 4 vs the originals. "Source Material", especially in todays world of entertainment, is loosely adapted based on - what sold the most and/or what's the most popular. Combining the two you get - a director that knows little about Fallout except on a surface level basis (what's popular), creating something that "He" wants, meanwhile inserting recognizable iconography in an attempt to draw in the catchall "Fan". Sound familiar? This being set on the West Coast basically damns any canon that took place there. Also, Todd loves his dragon breaks.
The real shame of it is the writers and runners of this show are probably more talented at writing than Emil and other members of the writing team over at Bethesda. Were this show to be set in the East coast, it on balance probably could have improved the world-building of that part of the world. But instead they've set it on the west coast, forever destroying it as our preserve for what losers like us like in and about Fallout.

The notion that the reason this game is set on the west coast is because Bethesda hates the original, or they hate Obsidian, are obviously silly. Pretty clearly the reason is just that they want to set Fallout 5 on the East Coast and continue whatever shitty narrative they've been building over there, but they haven't made any firm decisions about the exact direction of things. So they want to set it far away, but they want to give the show a baseline to work with...

Essentially, this show is to serve the same function as New Vegas, something to assuage fans during the perhaps decade-long wait they'll have for another mainline Fallout game. Fallout 76 was supposed to do the same thing, but it's appeal has proven pretty niche. The difference between this and New Vegas, of course, being that New Vegas was made by people who were really really into Fallout 1 and 2 and the West Coast setting.

Good points, I agree. Seems like, at least with my colleagues/acquaintances, that when they bring up 'Fallout' they're 9/10 times referring to 'Fallout 4'. To be fair most people I talk to are fairly casual gamers, nothing against that, we're all busy people, but to appeal to the majority audience, as you said, on top of Nolan's intreperation of the IP and his love of Fallout 3, doesn't bode well for the show. Although if it 'just works' for Amazon, they'll have a second series commissioned before most people have finished binging it.

I think the TLoU show worked because it adapted a well-told, traditionally structured story from the game and couldn't really rely on too much iconography to keep people interested. The Fallout show is going to have to bring some real substance to the table it to keep more than the most loyal Beth fans engaged. I really want to be proven wrong, but I don't have much hope I will be.

Seems like, at least with my colleagues/acquaintances, that when they bring up 'Fallout' they're 9/10 times referring to 'Fallout 4'.
Sad but true.

...And if the Sara Lee Foods company bought out Kraft's Vegemite brand, and reformulated it as a strawberry flavored hazel nut spread, there would be millions of Vegemite fans who all swear by the stuff... the stuff that they believe is Vegemite. :(

SVP_2.png

Pleasing everyone would actually be relatively simple. Give us Fallout: Tales of the Wasteland. New director every season, set in different locations based on the time and canon of those areas.

My extremely optimistic interpretation is that it won't appeal to Bethesda Fallout fans (the majority) and maybe more to fans of the originals?
Don't count on it.
In past interviews, Nolan always talks about how he played and loved Fallout 3 a lot and how he liked the tone and world of the game. He even says at some point that Todd Howard created the world of Fallout...
I don't think he ever mentioned any game before Fallout 3 in any interview.
Jonathan Nolan: I think the humor in the show is calibrated to match the tone of the games, which is different depending on how you experience the games. I remember playing Fallout 3 for the first time the year was released, which is where my familiarity with the games began, and [enjoying it] in the most delirious and engaging way. You start down below in the Vault with this film strip explaining how the Vault works, and it has this tone that's just very fresh.
Source: https://screenrant.com/fallout-show-jonathan-nolan-ella-purnell-aaron-moten-ccxp-interview/

I had the good fortune of having played. In my life before, when I didn't work in television and when I didn't have children, I played games pretty often, and Fallout 3 is a game that I had played. And there's no completion of that game, but I played it for hours and hours and hours, and had been very taken with the tone of it and the world of it. So when we sat down, it was sort of this love connection of, 'I've always wanted to meet you,' and vice versa.

From the beginning, it seemed very clear that Todd had... In truth, my favorite collaborators to adapt from are dead people because they don't argue. Todd is very much alive, but had that great, great confidence of someone who has created a world, [and] allowed in some cases – New Vegas is an example – other people to sort of create within that world. So he had both the confidence and the experience of knowing that if you build a good enough world, people can create within it and connect to the stories that you've told.
Source: https://collider.com/fallout-series-bethesda-collaboration-jonathan-nolan/

Last edited:
“Todd is very much alive, but had that great, great confidence of someone who has created a world, [and] allowed in some cases – New Vegas is an example – other people to sort of create within that world.

Wow.

What a gentleman, to allow some of the creators of Fallout 2 and the cancelled Fallout 3 to work on the world that he himself created with the release of Fallout 3.

Generally when I come across a movie, game, novel, comic etc. with a numeral above 1 (sometimes even 0) in the title, I have at least some desire to look for the prior media in the series. Honestly, who hasn't said something along the lines of "where's the rest?" at least once in their life, even in jest.

Generally when I come across a movie, game, novel, comic etc. with a numeral above 1 (sometimes even 0) in the title, I have at least some desire to look for the prior media in the series. Honestly, who hasn't said something along the lines of "where's the rest?" at least once in their life, even in jest.

That's me in a nutshell. I wanted to play Witcher 3 in 2020, so I completed W1 and W2 before even launching W3; well worth it.

What a gentleman, to allow some of the creators of Fallout 2 and the cancelled Fallout 3 to work on the world that he himself created with the release of Fallout 3.
All settings begin with the third entry obviously.

Jesus Christ, this show is becoming less and less appealing by the second.

It'll get perfect reviews scores across the board, win several awards, and then be canceled because season 1 didn't make enough money.

That's how you know a show has potential lol.
Raise a glass for our fallen. Firefly, Terra Nova, Revolution.. And many, many more.
Not these days, half the time it's a facade to hopefully get people to watch.

This show has zero potential, the majority of its viewer base are Fallout fans who have already been turned off by the rapid lore breaking in the trailer, the people left who don't care or don't even know aren't enough to support it.

Back