Newest Wasteland 2 update includes a look at the inventory

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by AtomBomb, May 31, 2013.

1. valcik

valcik So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Dec 20, 2008
    We're living in the age of mass-produced yellow monochromatic sprites, Surf Solar. Prepare yourself for the worst!

2. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    Viva la green, does look a wee bit too orange, like a dodgy politician or TV presenter.

3. DemonNick

DemonNick It Wandered In From the Wastes

Feb 17, 2010
    What does he mean when he says that it's a hybrid? Does he just mean that you can drag and drop the items as icons?

4. Stevie D

Stevie D Vault Cornwall my ansome

Jan 25, 2004
    The GUI/HUD whatever you want to call it blows ass. Too much wasted space and gimmicky nonsense. What's the deal with the arcing electricity either? Silly

5. Gaspard

Gaspard Kasparov

May 7, 2009
    It's cluttered and too animated for my tastes, but I've seen worse. Main thing - if it's functional and practical that's all that'll count during play.

The aesthetic's fine and the humor is a nice touch. Still looking forward to playtesting this baby

6. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    There are asset costs to consider for icons. Making good-looking unique icons that fit the allowed space and are distinguishable from each other is difficult, especially if you have tons and tons of items. One option is to just not have icons except for critical items, but that's hardly ideal either.

7. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    Or you just use the rendered items in a smaller version, like fallout did. Or what that not be streamlined enough?

8. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Admin Orderite Board Cop oTO

Apr 3, 2003
    That's all Nathan Long, I think. He's really good.

9. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    I am gald to have you here. No seriously! different opinions help to remember me that this is not a Borg like collective :D

10. woo1108

woo1108 Vault Senior Citizen

Sep 27, 2012
    I love amber color.
    it remind me back ground of desert wasteland.
    I don't think green is fit for mood of desert wasteland.

11. grayx

grayx It Wandered In From the Wastes

Mar 3, 2008
    Meh, don't like it.
    It reminds me on Beth's F3 inventory.
    And it looks somehow they are flirting with consolized UI.

I like old style F1/F2/FT interface (or something like JA and that type of games), especially those quazi 3D icons of items in the inventory, with zoom-in when pressed mouse button. This kaki brown style is not my cup of tea.

12. Kyuu

Kyuu Insert Awesome Title Here

Jul 19, 2007
    I think it needs some polishing but otherwise looks great. Don't get the complaints at all. Especially any nonsense about it being "consolized".

13. Eternal

Eternal Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Nov 4, 2008
    I dunno about consolized. There may be a bit of unintuitivness or stylization over functionality but consolized seems kind of wrong to compare it. The overall layout, the icons, the list, the ui in general NONE of it would really work with a gamepad which is kind of the most important factor in making a UI for a game console. You can't make a heavily mouse driven / overlay based / windows style UI for a system that doesn't have a mouse and instead would rather have individual button presses and context sensitive displays and shortcuts.

As well as a more 'page' oriented system instead of 'windows' oriented system. Since there is no drag and drop in a console game.

14. grayx

grayx It Wandered In From the Wastes

Mar 3, 2008
    You really should take out your girlfriend more, get a dog or at least a goat. Relax, life is short. And think a little for a change.

It's very simple really, it seems to me I could make this to work on console with a very slight alternation. That's the reason why it's my first impression about it. Drag&drop features could be easily implemented simply by pressing appropriate button while in inventory (since all items have specific role from what I see in this clip). True (and I never said it is), this is not consolized, but my first impression is it have some impact on how this looks like. It's not far fetched idea that this (or some similar/offshoot) game would end up on an console or a phone. Time will tell.

15. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    I don't care if it is "consolized" or not, as long as it isn't a chore to use on pc.

16. Kyuu

Kyuu Insert Awesome Title Here

Jul 19, 2007
    ... I don't get it. What are you trying to say? That if I disagree with you I'm a hermit with no interaction with any sort of life outside the internet? That you imagine I had a giant vein popping out of my forehead as I angrily pounded that reply out of my keyboard? It was a pretty simple and straightforward response. There was no anger or avarice on my side of the keyboard.

Anyway, it's pretty plain that this was developed as a PC interface, so I still don't get how it can be claimed that it is "consolized", or even flirting with it. I'm quite certain inXile has no plans to release Wasteland 2 on any other platform. The way the game is designed would make it awkward as hell to play with anything but a keyboard and mouse.

17. WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver But best title ever!

May 28, 2010
    Stop it here before it gets ugly, eh buddy?

18. Gaspard

Gaspard Kasparov

May 7, 2009
    I don't get the hyper critique. It's looks good, there are points where people could disagree, but those are mainly taste issues. So far it looks functional, but flashy.

And well, this.

19. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf eaten by a grue.

Aug 28, 2005
    I just watched the video for the first time. I don't see anything I hate about the inventory screen, but I'd swap the yellow color for something that looked more like a 1980s amber monochrome computer monitor.

20. draeke

draeke It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 2, 2005
    Anyone know when they will actually have something playable?