NPC Armor

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by fallout ranger, Aug 30, 2007.

1. McRae

McRae For sale: clown shoes, never worn Orderite

Dec 9, 2007
    ... Kevlar here too! I share HC's point of view, it suits fine this kind of universe.

2. Demonslayer

Demonslayer Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Aug 8, 2005
    I'll probably work on a mini-boss as soon as i realise how things work.
    So don't worry about double work made.

3. Josan12

Josan12 Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 15, 2007

Ok, this one it is.

I hear ya, good point. However, unfortunately the letter 's' is particularly difficult to make 3 pixels high! similarly the 'a' in LAPD. any other suggestions?

BTW, this mod will be in killaps 1.02 expansion/restoration patch
    as an option in the installer, which we hope will be out the end
    of this month. No doubt it will also be in the megamod.

4. McRae

Dec 9, 2007
    ... The good news of the day. As regards the letters problem, does it only occur with 's' and 'a'? If it the case, all the other letters work fine I suppose, so... I got something, it's just an idea. You probably know the series "The Shield", I heard about something called "the Rampart Division" => R.D. I know it's a bit short, I'll search for others suggestions.

Here's the link to "The Shield" in Wikipedia=> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shield

5. Josan12

Oct 15, 2007
    You know, i've never heared of it. But good thinking
    none-the-less. You gave me an idea: what about
    S.W.A.T ?!? unfortunately its got an 's' and 'a' in it !!! :crazy:
    DAMMIT !

6. McRae

Dec 9, 2007
    hehehe, I thought the same thing but there was also the 'a' problem. You know what, why not creating a new appellation. Something like=>

- NCRC (New California Republic Commando)
    - NCIT (New Califonia Intervention Team)
    - MCT (Mine Clearing Team) [I thought about this one 'cause in the NCR police HQ, it would make sense that they have such a division, there could still be mines after the war]

or we could just use something that alreday exist (why not, post apocalypse people could have read stuff about FBI, CIA, etc...)

- We could use DEA for example (Drug Enforcement Administration )

7. Azrael-Arkangel

Azrael-Arkangel Still Mildly Glowing

Oct 7, 2005
    - NCRPD (New California Republic Police Department)
    - NCPD (New California Police Department)
    - NCRCU (New California Republic Canine Unit)
    - NCCU (New California Canine Unit)

I don't know, just throwing ideas.

8. Dude101

Dude101 Vault Fossil
    Modder

Aug 3, 2005
    I personalty think LAPD is the best option; its the most recognisable acronym we could use, it is fairly obvious what it is: I don't think allot of the noobs who play these mods, would understand how doggie armour works, unless something obvious like LAPD was written on it; it does not have to make sense, it is a reference to popular culture.

PS, Dogmeat :D come here boy :) can't wait.

9. McRae

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah, I prefer LAPD too. We just have to solve the 'a' problem. Concerning the noobs, hahaha you're right.

10. Josan12

Oct 15, 2007
    Ok, well LAPD it is then. Jotisz is
    doing dogmeat so he can figure
    it out ;)

(Also, we can put in a joke about
    him being a LAPDog :))

Here's a proposal for Sulik PA.
    It took bloody ages so i have
    serious reservations if i can
    realisticly do all frames this
    way. But here it is anyway:

11. Glovz

Glovz Vault Dweller
    Modder

Sep 16, 2005
    While unique I don't see the necessity. Helmetless and armor art I think is enough. IMHO

12. Hotel California

Hotel California Mildly Dipped

Feb 6, 2005
    He looks very stiff.

Don't get me wrong - I think its awesome that you've given him a skull and netting etc but I just can't see its being justifyable effort on your part to do all those frames. I'm not really sure it'd work either - its looks great in principle but you've got a bit of jerkyness going on there!

13. Pretentious

Pretentious First time out of the vault

Feb 3, 2008
    You modders are doing an awesome job with this but I cant help but wonder about the dog armor.

The dog armor looks like its kevlar or is based on kevlar, the problem with that being the fact that kevlar was developed in 1965, after the divergence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevlar

Now its still an awesome animation and im in no way calling for you to redo the armor but I was wondering if anyone noticed that real world kevlar probably wouldnt be canon.

The Sulik art looks amazing to me btw.

14. Kanhef

Kanhef Vault Dweller

Sep 2, 2007
    Combat armor is described as being made of "advanced defensive polymers", which sounds like kevlar or a similar material. Kevlar itself might not be canon, but it could be considered to be something with similar properties.

15. Josan12

Oct 15, 2007
    Good comment. Unless anyone has any objections,
    helmetless and tribal art on the shoulder it will be.

I dont know much about FO Canon - hence relying
    on you guys for comments and criticism. Does anyone
    else consider this an issue?

Cassidy PA is pretty much done. Here's walking (JB)

16. Glovz

Glovz Vault Dweller
    Modder

Sep 16, 2005
    Hmmm - if there were a way to make Dogmeat look like he had a modified form of Combat Armor on then I think all FO Canon questions would be put aside.

But I have no idea how difficult this would be, just a quick thought.

EDIT:
    Cassidy looks awesome!

EDIT:
    Maybe the flag on the shoulder should be the Texas "Lone Star" flag - maybe too much at this point - again another quick thought.

17. McRae

Dec 9, 2007
    You did a great work on Cassidy. I never believed that I would like this character wearing something else than a leather armor.

18. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    Kevlar is a fiber, not a polymer plate.

19. Kanhef

Kanhef Vault Dweller

Sep 2, 2007
    Kevlar is a polymer, usually spun into a fiber.

20. star

star First time out of the vault

Dec 14, 2007

Amazing work! I've just discovered this thread and must say it's really great of you to do all this. How much work time will it take you to finish all the armors? I mean just one frame is at least 5 minutes of work if you're fast and you have to do how many? Something like 20.000 frames? Thats an insane amount of work. Do you use any shortcuts to do this or everything pixel by pixel and copy&paste different parts? Anyway, i'm looking forward to another fallout replay when you're done!