ooga booga crapout 76 is now cannon

Out of the last four, we've had one. Doesn't matter what a wiki says. A good game will be good even if it has some lore breaking bits. We do like to dunk on Bethesda for not respecting the general tone of Fallout and breaking the lore but even despite that, the games are not good if you wanted Fallout. Even New Vegas has pretty shitty gameplay but at least we got ammo types and a bigger arsenal that wasn't just pipe weapon variants. And the writing, questing, dialogue, choices, etc were far better. Things it was revered for.

Don't trust the wiki. They says stuff as fact, no matter the source and it wouldn't be the first time I caught plain head-canon from random people posted there.

Does Bethesda considers Fallout 76 as canon or not? It's only canon if Beth does it.

The wiki considers any Fallout game made by Bethesda as canon, unless Bethesda explicitly says it's not. And Bethesda doesn't care enough to actually say if it is or not.

wasn't just pipe weapon variants
Are you saying that having orbital missiles and unique guns with coherent design purposes is more fun and engaging for the player than having a hundred randomly generated +1 Legendary, Flamethrowing, Cat killing Pipe Pistol.

I beg to differ :naughty:

Are you saying that having orbital missiles and unique guns with coherent design purposes is more fun and engaging for the player than having a hundred randomly generated +1 Legendary, Flamethrowing, Cat killing Pipe Pistol.

I beg to differ :naughty:
I'm pulling a Morgan_
upload_2021-3-8_13-25-16.png

It's canon for as long as Bethesda says it is.
However, you can just ignore it and have your own canon.

That's what I do, I tend to ignore Fallout 76 and just have the games I like and replay them.

Bethesda might decide what to do with their own dicks but not Fallout as it isnt theirs because they repeadetly proven they have no idea what the fuck this series is about and they continue to release shitty fanfic tier games that only bear the name of Fallout but arent Fallout by any metric.

Inb4 they paid for ip - no one gives a fuck, money dont make the right.

you don't need to consider 3 ,4, and 76 canon when making a mod for new vegas. i have seen the east coast mentioned in 3 mods and it tends to be very vague.

I consider every Fallout game to only be canon to itself. Each title takes place in an alternative universe that is sometimes tangentially related to Fallout 1.

I dont personally consider anything from Fallout 76 to be canon in respect to fallout

unless your mod really has to reference west virginia for whatever reason. i see no reason for anything from 76 to matter in a new vegas mod.

it was so long ago no one should remember it's events.

I consider every Fallout game to only be canon to itself. Each title takes place in an alternative universe that is sometimes tangentially related to Fallout 1.

yeah but new vegas is clearly a sequel to 2 just as 2 is a sequel to 1 story wise.

this only applies to the betehseda made games as they feel so disconnected to each other.

Last edited:
I find the subject of canon for Fallout very difficult after a complete different company bought up the IP, and put people on it who have never worked on the IP before, and who quite clearly have little understanding of it.
This makes a good case why IPs should not be passed on or sold to other companies as we have seen this type of situation repeatedly.

Yet we have also seen example of one creation being followed up with a sequel by someone other than the original creator(s) that works incredibly well and feels like a genuine sequel, sidequel, etc.
But it is rare.

I personally genuinely hate Bethesda's entries in the Fallout series and all the retcons but also a lot of new additions they added to the lore, such as the Enclave surviving and being more widespread, zombie Ghouls, the overuse of FEV and Super Mutants, their obsession with the Brotherhood of Steel.
They think Fallout is all about recurring elements and making these into stereotypes and adding nonsense like real aliens and supernatural elements (the ghost should not have appeared in Fallout 2).

Worse is, there is little chance that they will ever loose the IP now so that another company could possibly undo the damage that Bethesda has done to it.

Commercial wise, Fallout is beyond the point of return.
In time people will forget that there was a Fallout 1 and 2, and believe that Fallout 3 and 4 set the standard with Fallout New Vegas being this weird outlier.
Not even a spin off by Obsidian can change that any more.
In that regard it was wiser to work on a complete new IP, too bad that one fell flat.

However, you can just ignore it and have your own canon.
I mean this tbh.

Like, canon is literally made up. Human made concepts are not objective truths, yet there are some people who will earnestly argue "A company which happened to purchase the license of a game has the objective right to decide exactly what is true and false in that game universe, even if it contradicts what previus games said". Like, it's complete nonsense.

Just say the parts you like are true and the rest is false. Canon's made up anyway so your interpretation is just as valid as any other.

(I also have a whole written list of areas that I keep and discard in each individual Fallout games, including my favorite aesthetic designs of individual creatures, weapons, robots and computer models, because I'm that much of an obsessive nerd :oops:)

I find the subject of canon for Fallout very difficult after a complete different company bought up the IP, and put people on it who have never worked on the IP before, and who quite clearly have little understanding of it.
This makes a good case why IPs should not be passed on or sold to other companies as we have seen this type of situation repeatedly.

Yet we have also seen example of one creation being followed up with a sequel by someone other than the original creator(s) that works incredibly well and feels like a genuine sequel, sidequel, etc.
But it is rare.

I personally genuinely hate Bethesda's entries in the Fallout series and all the retcons but also a lot of new additions they added to the lore, such as the Enclave surviving and being more widespread, zombie Ghouls, the overuse of FEV and Super Mutants, their obsession with the Brotherhood of Steel.
They think Fallout is all about recurring elements and making these into stereotypes and adding nonsense like real aliens and supernatural elements (the ghost should not have appeared in Fallout 2).

Worse is, there is little chance that they will ever loose the IP now so that another company could possibly undo the damage that Bethesda has done to it.

Commercial wise, Fallout is beyond the point of return.
In time people will forget that there was a Fallout 1 and 2, and believe that Fallout 3 and 4 set the standard with Fallout New Vegas being this weird outlier.
Not even a spin off by Obsidian can change that any more.
In that regard it was wiser to work on a complete new IP, too bad that one fell flat.

This whole situation reminds me of one quote from another game "It's true what they say, "The grass is always greener, and you don't really know what it is you have, until it's gone, gone, gone." ".

Last edited:
didn't I read somewhere a few days ago that Satansoft is forcing Obsidian to work on elderscrolls 6
A couple years ago that would have been based AF, but tbh pretty much every Obsidian game other than Pillars of Eternity 1 and Fallout New Vegas has been pretty weak, and they're only getting weaker.

Back