Perception Fallout 4 SPECIAL video

One thing I'll say: given how much material we've seen since the FO4 announcement, it's amazing how little we actually know about this game. Beth has done a good job of keeping the longer plot elements underwraps.

Perception affects Steal? That should be Agility, no?

I honestly don't remember if they did it this way in Fallout 3 or New Vegas also. Either way I think it's wrong. :p

EDIT: Just checked Fallout Wiki. Fallout 3 and New Vegas both had Perception affect Explosives, Lockpick, and Energy Weapon skills. Neither of them had Perception affecting Steal.

Last edited:
Well, to be fair, you need to have a pretty good lookout for people if you want to steal something, so perception does actually make a lot of sense in that context.

edit: Not that it would matter, even if you're caught everyone in the settlement will magically be fine with you 3 days later, just as they were in 3 :/ But as far as pickpocketing goes, yeah, Agility definitely seems more reasonable.

Last edited:
I think it's because Bethesda painted themselves in a corner trying to cram SPECIAL/Skills/Perks into just SPECIAL/Perks. They probably ran of out Perks to put under Perception and had a surplus under Agility (and possibly others) so they moved them around to make sure each SPECIAL stat got enough Perks.

One more thing I feel should be mentioned, they show the player stealing a clip from the enemy's machine gun, the enemy pulls trigger and nothing happens. But there should still be a bullet in the chamber. :p

Well, I have to give them a bit of credit. I may not like what these videos bode for in terms of mechanics for Fallout 4... but they're kind of cute and enjoyable as their own things.

One thing I'm noticing about these videos is they approach the Vault resident viewer as though they, everyone involved in the construction of the Vault, and those going into them, went in knowing there would be atomic horrors like the ones described outside them. (As I recall, very few, if any, went into the Vaults with pre-supposed knowledge of anything they would face once the Great War was over.) It makes one also wonder why an All Clear would be given in the circumstance that the surrounding area is known to be very unsafe, but this is Vault-Tech, and Bethesda.

This and the few old radiation warning/nuclear fallout videos I've seen didn't tell their viewers something along these lines: "After an atomic blast, you will leave your makeshift shelters into a world whose psyche and morality has been inhibited by the need for survival; which will be inhabited by things you will not recognize."

Otherwise, from the Perk breakdowns I can find on other sites, Lockpicking, a very technical skill, only takes 4 PER to start putting points into. Guess this explains why we haven't seen something akin to Daggerfall/F3 Wanderer's Edition options of knocking/blowing a door down. Within four levels, Lockpicking will be maxed out.

The SPECIAL video series isn't canon though. It's an abstraction that bridges canon and gameplay. SPECIAL isn't canon. The vigor tester in New Vegas as the player sees it is an abstraction for the character's abilities, as is the "You're Special" book at the beginning of Fallout 3.

Last edited:
One thing I'm noticing about these videos is they approach the Vault resident viewer as though they, everyone involved in the construction of the Vault, and those going into them, went in knowing there would be atomic horrors like the ones described outside them. (As I recall, very few, if any, went into the Vaults with pre-supposed knowledge of anything they would face once the Great War was over.) It makes one also wonder why an All Clear would be given in the circumstance that the surrounding area is known to be very unsafe, but this is Vault-Tech, and Bethesda.

You bring up a good point. The whole idea of Vaults is for people to stay in them their entire lives. The only reason the Vault Dweller leaves the Vault in Fallout 1 is because their water chip is dead and they need a new one so he has to leave. If they had one in Shady Sands and he went immediately back with no incidents, they would've just resealed the Vault and lived down there forever and ever without ever opening the place up again. Until something else went wrong perhaps. :p

But now Bethesda is making it seem like at some point every Vault is planned on being opened at some point and I believe that's patently false as far as Fallout lore goes. *shrug*

Some vaults of course were planned to be opened. I'm guessing Vault 111 is one of those vaults.

In the end, it's just an advertising video. SPECIAL isn't canon, so the video series also isn't canon and no one should say that it violates lore in some way when it's not intended to be something that Vault tec actually produced before the Great War.

But we don't know that these videos aren't also going to be in the game presented as a sort of in-game tutorial. The Vault-tec guy in the one video they showed does ask the guy to fill out a survey form including his SPECIAL stats. It's possible when you click on one of them it could bring up these videos they're doing. We don't know. I for one never attempt to underestimate Bethesda's stupidity. :p

The SPECIAL video series isn't canon though. It's an abstraction that bridges canon and gameplay. SPECIAL isn't canon. The vigor tester in New Vegas as the player sees it is an abstraction for the character's abilities, as is the "You're Special" book at the beginning of Fallout 3.

I know. Just found it a tad disconnected from what I do know of videos like these.

When the player is filling out the survey, I assume that the SPECIAL is just the interface for the player that's an abstraction for what the real character sees.

At the very least Perception seems to have more put into it than 3 and New Vegas had, which is the only real good quality removing skills has done.

Although I would personally like to see it do more potentially outside of VATS, such as extend your zoom for iron sights, maybe even after X distance your vision blurs. What could also be very interesting is not only maybe there being hidden things in the overworld you can't interact with unless you have the PER to see them and then use them, although that's a fantasy at best to me.

At the very least Perception seems to have more put into it than 3 and New Vegas had, which is the only real good quality removing skills has done.

Perception was odd in those games. It didn't do much, but two of the very best perks available (Better Criticals and Sniper) required a moderate investment in Perception. New Vegas doubled down on making it extra irrelevant since ED-E covers all the "spotting enemies on the radar" function better than you ever could.

You bring up a good point. The whole idea of Vaults is for people to stay in them their entire lives. The only reason the Vault Dweller leaves the Vault in Fallout 1 is because their water chip is dead and they need a new one so he has to leave. If they had one in Shady Sands and he went immediately back with no incidents, they would've just resealed the Vault and lived down there forever and ever without ever opening the place up again. Until something else went wrong perhaps. :p

But now Bethesda is making it seem like at some point every Vault is planned on being opened at some point and I believe that's patently false as far as Fallout lore goes. *shrug*

That is only partially true, as each vault had their own, unique purpose. Even should one not count Van Buren when entertaining established Fallout lore, the point of the vaults were almost entirely based around psychological and sociological experimentation, which did not inherently necessitate the need to keep the dwellers permanently inside of their vaults. Necropolis, for instance, was rigged to not close properly, to experiment on what would happen with post-War radiation leaking in, adversely affecting the vault dwellers within, and effectively forcing them out into the wastes as ghouls.

Yeah, certain vaults were meant to experiment on vault dwellers by keeping them within the vaults for their entire lives. But others most certainly were not; many of the vaults were equipped with a G.E.C.K. for a reason.

Last edited:
I never liked this idea of experiments. But well ... it's canon now. I just ignore it usually and pretend that it doesnt exist :V

Though can't wait to see if SPECIAL in Fallout 4 will actually have some effect on the dialog in the game. But I really don't have high hopes ...

I never liked this idea of experiments. But well ... it's canon now. I just ignore it usually and pretend that it doesnt exist :V

Though can't wait to see if SPECIAL in Fallout 4 will actually have some effect on the dialog in the game. But I really don't have high hopes ...

Great! Another believer!

Sorry it's just that I dislike the experiments idea too and it's rare to find one who agrees.

I always felt that the experiments mentioned in Fallout 2 were more subtle social or biological experiments, like extremely diverse or homogeneous populations, extreme gender disparities or extreme long term enclosure. Maybe some a little less sublte experiments, like in New Vegas with forced segregation in groups, stuff like that. To me, the Necropolis vault always was the most extreme experiment, something doomed to fail. But in the end, experiments to see how certain elements of long space travel can affect people.
Most of the experiments in Fallout 3 were just too much. Psychoactive drugs? Hypnotic suggestions? FEV? Gary? Doesn't make much sense to me. I hope Fallout 4 won't take that road again (although we all know it will).

It won't just take the road again, you know that it will AMPLIFY it! :V

Because stupid shit like Gary vaults have (sadly) a lot of potential for derpiness which generates youtube clicks. So I am pretty sure we will see something that is even worse.

Back