Play as a Ghoul

Umbersona

First time out of the vault
Simple request, I'd like to play as a Ghoul. I have a rough outline of a story, essentially you are a George Norry wannabe with a "Conspiracy Theorist" radio show and you get an unmarked package containing a vial of... stuff (FEV) and some documents relating to experimentation on raccoons and flatworms and a "Major Barnett".

The end of the world comes and goes and the exposure to that smashed vial of FEV is just enough to trigger a transformation into a kind of Ghoul/Mutant hybrid similar to Harold.

The ideal game would take place very soon after the bombs fall, like 15 years, and would have no Enclave, NCR, Caesar's Legion, Super Mutants or open vaults. Which means new ideas, fun!

The Brotherhood does appear as purely hostile NPCs in Power Armor.

Though I suppose China could have direct-hit any vaults it new of seeing as how the Chinese were operating under the misconception that the vaults were there to SAVE humanity... idk.

Yeah, that's all I got.
(Bethesda, feel free to rip of my ideas)

I second this motion, but I'd rather see Ghouls as a race (Hispanic, Asian, African American, Caucasian, Ghoul) sort of thing.

It would kind of screw up the whole radiation mechanic.

I think maybe there could be a sidequest where your character gets ghoulified.

As a note, I always felt that Broken Steel should have had the Lone Wanderer becoming a ghoul. Not complaining though.

EDIT: Waaaaait, just a minute. In this guys post he states "that vial of FEV is enough to trigger Ghoulification" or some such stuff. You do know becoming a ghoul is started by radiation and not FEV?

StroHersh said:
It would kind of screw up the whole radiation mechanic.

I think maybe there could be a sidequest where your character gets ghoulified.

As a note, I always felt that Broken Steel should have had the Lone Wanderer becoming a ghoul. Not complaining though.

EDIT: Waaaaait, just a minute. In this guys post he states "that vial of FEV is enough to trigger Ghoulification" or some such stuff. You do know becoming a ghoul is started by radiation and not FEV?

Not a Ghoul. A Ghoulish Mutant, ala Harold. And the radiation mechanic can be worked around. Dead Money's cloud is a good example of a workaround.

StroHersh said:
It would kind of screw up the whole radiation mechanic. ?

Yes, but you could require ghouls to "eat" radiation. That would be the only way to repair damage and the only way to cure "hunger".

Water would be the same... drinking out of toilets would have the best benefits (for a ghoul) :roll:

WillisPDunlevey said:
StroHersh said:
It would kind of screw up the whole radiation mechanic. ?

Yes, but you could require ghouls to "eat" radiation. That would be the only way to repair damage and the only way to cure "hunger".

Water would be the same... drinking out of toilets would have the best benefits (for a ghoul) :roll:
That's not true. Though some ghouls enjoy radiation (Gecko), there is no statement that they actually need radiation to heal or something like that. They're just immune as far as I know.

Playing as a ghoul would be nice, maybe have your character experience ghoulification if he's exposed to very high levels of radiation. Like others have said, rework the radiation system as a healing factor and seeing how people in the wastes generally don't like ghouls, turning into one would greatly affect your Charisma, ability to barter and other social interactions with people.

Devolution said:
Playing as a ghoul would be nice, maybe have your character experience ghoulification if he's exposed to very high levels of radiation. Like others have said, rework the radiation system as a healing factor and seeing how people in the wastes generally don't like ghouls, turning into one would greatly affect your Charisma, ability to barter and other social interactions with people.

Wasn't there a perk in Fallout: New Vegas that allowed you to regenerate health while irradiated?

No. That was a FO3 perk, and it healed your limbs. Altho considering that stimpaks heal limbs in FO3 too, the perk is pretty useless.

Like Devolution said, being ghoulified would have a huge impact on all your social skills in game. that could also be compensated by giving ghouls fucktons of bonuses (health, rad. resistance, DT, survival, etc.) You could also have some unique dialogue only available for ghouls?

Walpknut said:
Why would a person with decaying skin and fragile bones have more HP and DT?

their decayed and fried skin means that almost every single nerve ending on their body has been fried, meaning they can't really feel pain, which grants a bonus in combat. Makes sense?And why would ghoulification cause one to have fragile bones? Perhaps they wouldn't have higher HP than humans, but crippled limbs wouldn't have as much of an impact due to the nerve damabe, and their over all DT would be higher also because of their nerves.

Absolutely not true. Ghouls don't have "fried" nerve endings, and if anything they feel MORE pain than regular people (since most of them don't even have skin). The ghoulification process resulted in halting of necrosis, which means they're "more durable" only in the sense that they've stopped aging. But that's it. They aren't somehow more dense or more burly or more robust than a regular human being; that's Super Mutants.

Fallout Tactics had it fairly right in that playing as a ghoul would give you bonuses to your PE, IN, and LK, but your ST and AG were lowered, and your EN was the same. Ghouls had better senses and knowledge benefiting from their long lifespans, and they were "inherently" lucky human beings, but they weren't gifted, physically.

EnclaveSigmaCA said:
Walpknut said:
Why would a person with decaying skin and fragile bones have more HP and DT?

their decayed and fried skin means that almost every single nerve ending on their body has been fried, meaning they can't really feel pain, which grants a bonus in combat. Makes sense?And why would ghoulification cause one to have fragile bones? Perhaps they wouldn't have higher HP than humans, but crippled limbs wouldn't have as much of an impact due to the nerve damabe, and their over all DT would be higher also because of their nerves.

Radiation damages the Bone Marrow.

Surely not feeling pain would be a negative in combat? Say if you injured your foot, yet you kept putting pressure on it, causing more damage?

A wound is one thing, pain is another. Pain can disable some people even if a wound is not too severe.

Athletes often talk about playing through the pain in order to be successful, even if they have an injury. Sometimes adrenaline just takes over or endorphins block it out and allow people to perform even while hurt.

There's also a psychological tie here. There are stories of people who perform a great physical task without realizing that they're hurt, and when they look down and see the damage do they start to feel anything.

Back