Plot Holes of Fallout 4 - Spoilers

I went back to New Vegas and boy, being shot in the head for a chip that controls an army of robots seems so, so MUCH BETTER. And you can roleplay whoever you want, however you want! Anyone could be down on their luck and agree to make a delivery for a few caps... So much better than Shaun over and over again forever, after 78h of FO4 I feel... disinclined to start another playthrough, to put it mildly.

And things feel cheap somehow. I remember the first time I got the Remnants together in New Vegas for a last battle in Hoover Dam... Seeing that vertibird soar like old days of glory, like a fading age, only to imagine the old warriors in the suits, fighting the NCR one last time... It was glorious. Seeing the Prydwen and its army of vertibirds in Fallout 4 just felt... Cheap somehow. I didn't feel like a grand achievement, it felt like a cheap amusement park, bigger is better and that sort of thing. There is something Obsidian did so well that Bethesda simply can't capture... This feeling of decadence within resurgence, of new governments slavishly emulating the old world, of lost treasures. The Fallout games used to make me feel WONDER. It just feels like a game now. I played a game. I had fun. That was that.

New Vegas and Fallout 2, and to a lesser extent Fallout 1, made me come back for more. Not to see Shaun get taken and my wife die again and again, not to watch my son-of-a-bitch of a father abandon me again and again only to later commit one of the most stupid and pointless suicides in the history of RPGs... I came back to see the wasteland, shaped, transformed, revived and torn asunder, where I could be the hero, the monster, or more frequently, something in-between. When I could ROLEPLAY a character! Imagine that...

*End of Rant, Thank You for Your Patience*

*Brought to you by Vault-Tec!*

I went back to New Vegas and boy, being shot in the head for a chip that controls an army of robots seems so, so MUCH BETTER. And you can roleplay whoever you want, however you want! Anyone could be down on their luck and agree to make a delivery for a few caps... So much better than Shaun over and over again forever, after 78h of FO4 I feel... disinclined to start another playthrough, to put it mildly.

And things feel cheap somehow. I remember the first time I got the Remnants together in New Vegas for a last battle in Hoover Dam... Seeing that vertibird soar like old days of glory, like a fading age, only to imagine the old warriors in the suits, fighting the NCR one last time... It was glorious. Seeing the Prydwen and its army of vertibirds in Fallout 4 just felt... Cheap somehow. I didn't feel like a grand achievement, it felt like a cheap amusement park, bigger is better and that sort of thing. There is something Obsidian did so well that Bethesda simply can't capture... This feeling of decadence within resurgence, of new governments slavishly emulating the old world, of lost treasures. The Fallout games used to make me feel WONDER. It just feels like a game now. I played a game. I had fun. That was that.

New Vegas and Fallout 2, and to a lesser extent Fallout 1, made me come back for more. Not to see Shaun get taken and my wife die again and again, not to watch my son-of-a-bitch of a father abandon me again and again only to later commit one of the most stupid and pointless suicides in the history of RPGs... I came back to see the wasteland, shaped, transformed, revived and torn asunder, where I could be the hero, the monster, or more frequently, something in-between. When I could ROLEPLAY a character! Imagine that...

*End of Rant, Thank You for Your Patience*

*Brought to you by Vault-Tec!*

Wow dude honestly, beautifully spoken. I think thats the difference between actually considering theme and background (Obsi) or just going full hollywood (as much as finances permit of course:P)

Of course to play the devil's advocate that may just be you getting tired of vertibirds:P

If they needed pre-war DNA they could have just gone to any pre-war skeleton and collected DNA from it, you don't need something to be alive to collect it's DNA. One could argue that the radiation plus FEV changed them, but there is pre-war skeletons in Vault 111 itself to choose from, it still doesn't make any sense.

Somehow "clean" and "skeleton that's been killed by an atomic bomb and kept lying there for 210 years" don't exactly compute in my mind :p.

Maybe they also needed blood samples or something. I still see absolutely no reason as to why they would need rad-free DNA in order to build artificial skins for their Synths, but here you go. And why couldn't they pick someone in the Institute itself anyway? As far as I understand it, they spent all their lives underground like any Vault Dweller after the first generation.

If they needed pre-war DNA they could have just gone to any pre-war skeleton and collected DNA from it, you don't need something to be alive to collect it's DNA. One could argue that the radiation plus FEV changed them, but there is pre-war skeletons in Vault 111 itself to choose from, it still doesn't make any sense.

Somehow "clean" and "skeleton that's been killed by an atomic bomb and kept lying there for 210 years" don't exactly compute in my mind :p.

Maybe they also needed blood samples or something. I still see absolutely no reason as to why they would need rad-free DNA in order to build artificial skins for their Synths, but here you go. And why couldn't they pick someone in the Institute itself anyway? As far as I understand it, they spent all their lives underground like any Vault Dweller after the first generation.

I faintly remember some vague ramblings about how even they were tainted..

The Institute was only founded 40 or so years after the war.

Between the war and then, it was just some students and professors hiding in the basement of CiT. The basement is, OFC, not radiation proof, so they all got exposed to radiation, thus their DNA, and the DNA of their descendants, isn't viable.

Between the war and then, it was just some students and professors hiding in the basement of CiT. The basement is, OFC, not radiation proof, so they all got exposed to radiation, thus their DNA, and the DNA of their descendants, isn't viable.

To me the whole idea that the Institute complex could be created underground and simultaneously be so expansive seemed to stretch reality to incredulous levels:P I am not against the wackiness of the idea though, i do like it, and i am traipsing to slight nitpick levels here, but perhaps if it felt a bit more claustrophobic (it is underground after all). However i did like walking around the pristine environment (could be stuffed with a bit more weird science:P) and its relative openness so you see i felt some dissonance about the subject:P

But Shaun was exposed to radiation, they were all exposed to the radiation from an atomic blast, so Shaun was probably exposed to as much radiation as any of the people that founded the Institute. Now ok, you could say that the institute had no way of knowing this, which would probably be true, but presumably they did bloodwork and such and discovered that he had been exposed to radiation. If they couldn't use "untainted" DNA for the synths, then why was Shaun's DNA viable? Even if Shaun's DNA hadn't been mutated enough to matter, wouldn't one of the other people in the vault who weren't exposed to an atomic blast be a better candidate.

But Shaun was exposed to radiation, they were all exposed to the radiation from an atomic blast, so Shaun was probably exposed to as much radiation as any of the people that founded the Institute. Now ok, you could say that the institute had no way of knowing this, which would probably be true, but presumably they did bloodwork and such and discovered that he had been exposed to radiation. If they couldn't use "untainted" DNA for the synths, then why was Shaun's DNA viable? Even if Shaun's DNA hadn't been mutated enough to matter, wouldn't one of the other people in the vault who weren't exposed to an atomic blast be a better candidate.

If i may humbly interject brother, I think your looking into it more than the writers ever expected you to. I don't believe the answers actually exist and I severely doubt they even bothered to think about it:P Surely you must realize that the atomic blast at the beginning was only there for the Cools, nobody read about flash radiation or anything of the kind dude:P Your trying to disassemble the logical framework of a story that doesn't even have a thematic framework...surely futile wouldn't you say:P

Actually, Hass talked about why there wouldn't be any real radiation damage to the family earlier in the thread. Whats more, is you go through a radiation screening when you first enter the vault, and given an all clear.

Last edited:

The skeletons lying in the sealed vault wouldn't have been "tainted" by the radiation.

Actually, one of the other posters here talked about why they wouldn't have been exposed to any radiation. Whats more, is you go through a radiation screening when you first enter the vault, and given an all clear
Dude i saw a nuclear explosion going off in my face, and the resulting dust storm actually reached my character...lol:P No radiation you say:P Also dude i know logic escapes you...but outright lying that's even more epic:P There's no radiation screening whatsoever in the game, do you even know what radiation screening is?:P

To be frank dude i couldn't believe you could regress more:P im speechless:P

Last edited:
Actually, Hass talked about why there wouldn't be any real radiation damage to the family earlier in the thread. Whats more, is you go through a radiation screening when you first enter the vault, and given an all clear.
There's less radiation damage from the initial blast then they would have otherwise gotten from the shock-wave and subsequent fallout, but Shaun's DNA should still be noticeably affected by radiation. I'm not a nuclear physicist, but wouldn't the people hiding out in a basement also only be affected by the initial burst of gamma waves from the blast. Also like I said, the people who hadn't been exposed to a nuclear blast at all would still have much more pristine DNA than Shaun.

There's less radiation damage from the initial blast then they would have otherwise gotten from the shock-wave and subsequent fallout, but Shaun's DNA should still be noticeably affected by radiation. I'm not a nuclear physicist, but wouldn't the people hiding out in a basement also only be affected by the initial burst of gamma waves from the blast. Also like I said, the people who hadn't been exposed to a nuclear blast at all would still have much more pristine DNA than Shaun.

And remember NO RADIATION SCREENING ANYWHERE IN THE GAME:P All you do in the game is get shoved into a refrigerator:P

Last edited:
The bomb was over 20 miles away when it went off. I am going to go with what Hauss said, since hes shown he knows what hes talking about on numerous occasions, and am going to say you were far enough away for it to not effect you.

And no, the people in The Institute would be effected by the radiation blanket which covered many parts of the earth for months, if not longer. Randal Clarke in Zion couldn't leave his cave for a month because radiation levels outside were that high, and Zion wasn't even directly hit. Not to mention the lingering radiation which still persists in many part of the post-war world even today, which would have effected them every time they left their basement to get supplies before they built The Institute.

There's no radiation screening whatsoever in the game, do you even know what radiation screening is?
That is literally what this device was for in Vault 111 - http://i.imgur.com/quEteV2.jpg

The bomb was over 20 miles away when it went off. I am going to go with what Hauss said, since hes shown he knows what hes talking about on numerous occasions, and am going to say you were far enough away for it to not effect you.

And no, the people in The Institute would be effected by the radiation blanket which covered many parts of the earth for months, if not longer. Randal Clarke in Zion couldn't leave his cave for a month because radiation levels outside were that high, and Zion wasn't even directly hit. Not to mention the lingering radiation which still persists in many part of the post-war world even today, which would have effected them every time they left their basement to get supplies before they built The Institute.

There's no radiation screening whatsoever in the game, do you even know what radiation screening is?
That is literally what this device was for in Vault 111 - http://i.imgur.com/quEteV2.jpg

That device was doing fuck all when i went through, try playing it:P What does it screen anyway? Is it an X-ray? What about bloodwork?

Last edited:
That device was doing fuck all when i went through, try playing it
You should probably pay more attention to what goes on around you. When you pass through the device it makes a sound, and a scientist operating the device on the other side gives you the all clear.

And have you found any pcs that explain what it does? id love to know?:P Again what about blood testing:P Whatever that flimsy shit was i dont think it can qualify as radiation screening:P

High dosages of gamma rays are known to cause serious damage to cells http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...cer-risk-do-xrays-and-gamma-rays-cause-cancer . Perhaps not enough to kill you, but certainly enough to leave a significant mark on your DNA.

Whatever that flimsy shit was i dont think it can qualify as radiation screening
Well thankfully the world doesn't evolve around what you think.

High dosages of gamma rays are known to cause serious damage to cells http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...cer-risk-do-xrays-and-gamma-rays-cause-cancer . Perhaps not enough to kill you, but certainly enough to leave a significant mark on your DNA.
Yes, but you were far enough away from the bomb for it not to effect you.

This whole thing has been covered in this quote pyramid here
http://www.nma-fallout.com/showthre...s-of-Fallout-4-Spoilers&p=4107505#post4107505

Last edited:
Back