Plot Holes of Fallout 4 - Spoilers

Yes, but you were far enough away from the bomb for it not to effect you.

This whole thing has been covered in this quote pyramid here
http://www.nma-fallout.com/showthre...s-of-Fallout-4-Spoilers&p=4107505#post4107505

Yes it has, like he said gamma waves move at the speed of light, by the time you see the explosion you are already being bathed in gamma radiation, known to cause defects in DNA.

Dude don't bother, he actually believes the writers worked through hard science to present everything accurately:P

For anyone interested in radiation sickness tests http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...ickness/basics/tests-diagnosis/con-20022901:P enjoy:P Question for the noob..why does it include a razz on the end, it doesn't open like that?:P

Last edited:
Yes it has, like he said gamma waves move at the speed of light, by the time you see the explosion you are already being bathed in gamma radiation, known to cause defects in DNA.
And he also said
But the explosion in-game is far enough away that there's not much radiation damage to the player family.

Dude don't bother, he actually believes the writers worked through hard science to present everything accurately
I think no such thing actually.

And he also said
But the explosion in-game is far enough away that there's not much radiation damage to the player family.

Dude don't bother, he actually believes the writers worked through hard science to present everything accurately

Again with the stupid quotes:P Do you have nothing to show for yourself:P Also whenever you want we can talk about radiation tests:p you can google it:P

Wow you do:P and you think what they showed was akin to a proper radiation test:P Epic dude:P

Or maybe you can for once in your life stop ridiculing yourself and actually check my link to find out what a radiation sickness test entails:P

Ps. The reason i didn't even notice that flimsy shit was that it was completely, abysmally insubstantial:P Is it X-raying for tumours, probably, but could tumours actually develop so fast..i don't know probably not...what about fu**ing blood tests! Are they completely stupid:P

Last edited:
and you think what they showed was akin to a proper radiation test
It's an alternate reality setting, where everything from cars, to household robots, were nuclear powered, food could be packages in such a way to still be fresh 200 years later, and they had machines that could convert the matter of poker chips into edible food, and usable guns and ammo. The idea they couldn't build a device that scans a person to see if they suffered any significant radiation damage is beyond idiotic.

and actually check my link to find out what a radiation sickness test entails
Real world radiation sickness tests are not the limit of the Fallout game setting. Just because we do it that way in real life doesn't mean that has to be the way they do it in-game.

You're not even trying are you?

and you think what they showed was akin to a proper radiation test
It's an alternate reality setting, where everything from cars, to household robots, were nuclear powered, food could be packages in such a way to still be fresh 200 years later, and they had machines that could convert the matter of poker chips into edible food, and usable guns and ammo. The idea they couldn't build a device that scans a person to see if they suffered any significant radiation damage is beyond idiotic.

and actually check my link to find out what a radiation sickness test entails
Real world radiation sickness tests are not the limit of the Fallout game setting. Just because we do it that way in real life doesn't mean that has to be the way they do it in-game.

You're not even trying are you?

You just went full retard:P i hope you realise that:P

Were the radiation tests also Nuclear-Powered?:P FULL NUCLEAR BABY:P And since we have matter-replicators why are we even trying? Lets just create a dozen blonde hot chicks and be done with the game:P

ON that matter though i do admit that i didn't notice the flimsy shit, and called you a liar when you were not. I'm sorry but knowing what radiation tests are it didn't even register...and i still think it is insubstantial shit but probably ok for a videogame:P it is nitpicking i do admit.

Ps. sorry absolutely had to re-comment:P "You've had significant radiation damage, Sir!" Sounds like something i'd have loved to see Schwarzenegger hear:P

Last edited:
You just went full retard i hope you realise that

Were the radiation tests also Nuclear-Powered? FULL NUCLEAR BABY
Pointing out that the Fallout inverse has a level of technology beyond our own, that can achieve things not possible in the real wold, is going full retarded now?

Given that everything in the Vault is powered by nuclear generators... technically... yeah, the electricity used to power the device that did the scan was nuclear in nature. So it was indirectly nuclear powered.

I guessed you were just being a troll by your overuse of smilies, but I really did want to see how far you would go with it. I got to say... 4chan's better at it. Improve your act next time, make it less obvious.

You just went full retard i hope you realise that

Were the radiation tests also Nuclear-Powered? FULL NUCLEAR BABY
Pointing out that the Fallout inverse has a level of technology beyond our own, that can achieve things not possible in the real wold, is going full retarded now?

Given that everything in the Vault is powered by nuclear generators... technically... yeah, the electricity used to power the device that did the scan was nuclear in nature. So it was indirectly nuclear powered.

I guessed you were just being a troll by your overuse of smilies, but I really did want to see how far you would go with it. I got to say... 4chan's better at it. Improve your act next time, make it less obvious.

Is that the rule of thumb? Do you have a quote:P I use smilies cause i often may seem brusque in my words so as to hopefully soften some friction:P

Dude let me explain it to you..in a sci-fi setting when you introduce a new device you have to attempt at least a token gesture into explaining it ( i mean that's why you write sci-fi - you think new technology is cool:P) Whether the X-ray machine was nuclear powered (which i presume it was) is irrelevant as it still has no semblance to a radiation test..its that simple...they at least needed to take some blood tests for that:P But anyway if you read back i did admit it was nitpicking:P

Ps. Also it'd be nice if you could also admit some things, you know character growth and all that jizz:P, like that massive logic fart you had a few pages back:P Boy that was mezmerizing:P I still stand by that argument btw, you have no clue about dialogue exposition, and the grand sum of your accomplishments in that argument was bad exposition is bad:P Ohh and whatever Bethesda's done is good:P ARGH:P

Pss. And at the end of the day i still know you don't even know what a radiation test is, by the simple fact that you think all it involves is an X-ray..As a nitpick i say it stands (since they used it as a major plot point and all:P).

Last edited:
And he also said

Again with the stupid quotes:P Do you have nothing to show for yourself:P Also whenever you want we can talk about radiation tests:p you can google it:P

He's right, though. The explosion shown in game is several kilometers away, the gamma ray intensity isn't strong enough to kill there anymore. They would absorb a dose, though, but it is probably too low for radiation sickness or any serious damage. Right now I'm too tired and hungover to approximate the received dose, I might do that later.

Of course he may be right, I just have no interest with debating with quotes i have no clue about:P (I mean check the quote there, all it says is that Yup this can happen they're far enough). Dude also if you know, i thought that when the actual fallout dust-storm reaches a person, he's probably received some form of radiation exposure. To be honest shouldn't any form of radiation exposure render the kid unusable, as per the Institute's stated motives? Is the radiation exposure so minimal it can be disregarded?

On another note do you believe Bethesda did the math, or is it a fortuitous coincidence?

Ps. Looking back Thatguys argument actually began by stating there was NO RADIATION exposure, not minor enough to avoid any serious damage, but nope, none, and that was why i was so incredulous at him. Quote:"Actually, one of the other posters here talked about why they wouldn't have been exposed to any radiation."
He edited it afterwards but i didn't see the edit, dude i think you can sue for libel:P Truly one of the most flagrant uses of the word "Actually" that i have ever seen outside of course the political arena:p

Last edited:
He's right, though. The explosion shown in game is several kilometers away, the gamma ray intensity isn't strong enough to kill there anymore. They would absorb a dose, though, but it is probably too low for radiation sickness or any serious damage. Right now I'm too tired and hungover to approximate the received dose, I might do that later.

The question is, how? We know literaly nothing of the nuclear weapons in Fallout, except that 200kt was like the uper limit or something - citadation needed!

For all we know, the radiation could be more or evel less compared to real world nukes. Hard to guess something when you have no clue how it works. At least I would not know where to start. As far as I know radiation is calculated with an inverse-square law, inversely proportional to the source of the distance. But how to calculate the correct strength if you have no clue how strong the source actually is?

Anyway, the point is they got a dose or not, and I am pretty confident that they did, even if very small. Probably not enough to do any real damage, but could it be enough to be detected by the Institute since they are looking for "pure" DNA untouched by radiation?

If we really want to talk about realism, I think we all pretty much know, that they would have seen a lot more effects, not just a bit of dust kicked up.

The question is, how? We know literaly nothing of the nuclear weapons in Fallout, except that 200kt was like the uper limit or something - citadation needed!

For all we know, the radiation could be more or evel less compared to real world nukes. Hard to guess something when you have no clue how it works. At least I would not know where to start. As far as I know radiation is calculated with an inverse-square law, inversely proportional to the source of the distance. But how to calculate the correct strength if you have no clue how strong the source actually is?

Anyway, the point is they got a dose or not, and I am pretty confident that they did, even if very small. Probably not enough to do any real damage, but could it be enough to be detected by the Institute since they are looking for "pure" DNA untouched by radiation?

If we really want to talk about realism, I think we all pretty much know, that they would have seen a lot more effects, not just a bit of dust kicked up.

Yes dude precisely, that would have been my next point..do we have any details on the precise nature of the bombs, a-bombs, hydrogen-bombs, etc their power, specs and the like or are we just grasping at straws. Also the explosion seemed stupidly close to me...i may just need glasses:P I still wanna know though, cause i mean the actual dust from the shockwave explosion reached us...isn't that more than adequate to get radiation exposure? Also however minor the exposure it does ruin the Institute's "completely untainted" shtick. And really though does logical sense even matter so much when the actual writing is pretty dross from every angle and has no point to make..it really begs the question:P

To be honest all i know about actual nuclear bomb detonations are Hiroshima and Nagasaki and that shit seemed pretty brutal.

Last edited:
The Milquetoast family also had a robotic nanny powered by an atomic battery that regularly changed Shaun's diapers and made his food.....

The Milquetoast family also had a robotic nanny powered by an atomic battery that regularly changed Shaun's diapers and made his food.....

To me, Walpy, it just seems like there's something's awfully contrived with Shaun in general. Now im sure thatguys probably "explained it" at one point but did Kellog parade the synthetic Shaun around Diamond City to lure the protagonist, shortly before we arrived, (lets not even discuss dogs following cigarette smells - i mean surely that cigarette had to have been smoked fairly recently:P) because thats the only way it can make sense? It just seemed like that kid had never left the Institute. Surely they couldn't be that stupid and actually addressed that point in their narrative since it was their uber-duper plot twist and all? Surely...

If Shaun is dying of cancer wouldn't that also imply that his DNA was never viable in the first place? I mean he has never left the Institute in his entire life so his cancer didn't come from radiation exposure (or maybe it did from the bomb at the beginning and the Robotic nanny with the atomic battery) so he probably had a pre-existing genetic condition too, maybe your character does too.

If Shaun is dying of cancer wouldn't that also imply that his DNA was never viable in the first place? I mean he has never left the Institute in his entire life so his cancer didn't come from radiation exposure (or maybe it did from the bomb at the beginning and the Robotic nanny with the atomic battery) so he probably had a pre-existing genetic condition too, maybe your character does too.

Well, to be honest, i think anyone can potentially develop cancer provided he lives long enough, and some factors can exacerbate or hinder the probabilities of developing it, since all cells (apart from neurons) continually divide and multiply throughout our lives and cancer results from the multiplication mechanism going nuts:P Could still have had a predisposition though.
Nevertheless im pretty confident by his dialogue that our character suffers from a delightful cornucopia of brain cancers.

Last edited:
Back