Policeman shoots victim under dodgy circumstances

If there was a thread posted for every time a black person killed a white person, we would probably have to make a separate website.

You really don't see the problem of policemen opening fire without even checking what's happening?

Tagz, you are trying to talk sense into the people whose argument is "There is no racism in the US, Black people are just lazy".

The mere fact that journalists still use the adjectives black and white to add drama to their articles tells me that humankind is still very far removed of what one might call civilized.

And to know it's already 2013.

Man, your thread was pretty much just a superfluous troll dopple of this one and you know it. "Cop shoots unarmed accident victim under dodgy circumstances, did race play a role?" is a valid question for opening a discussion. "Teenager commits cut-and-dried crime and is swiftly and rightly apprehended and charged with murder, and guys, he's BLACK BLACK BLACK" is not. You didn't get a strike and you're perfectly welcome to express your opinion in this handy dandy thread that already existed, where you'll note no one has been disciplined in any way for disagreeing with any mods.

(If this is backseat modding, apologies, and please feel free to delete it. I saw it more as answering Max's open question RE: the forum.)

Yamu said:
Man, your thread was pretty much just a superfluous troll dopple of this one and you know it.

The admins set an example and it was a perfectly valid topic only with the rolls reversed. Perhaps race baiting topics shouldn't be made in the first place, especially by forum admins. How is "Another black guy shot by a white policeman" not race baiting? Come on.

I agree the thread title was unnecessarily provocative, but can you dispute it? Most of the time, when one of the crooks you're trotting out as example is caught dead-to-rights, he's dealt with swiftly and given either life or death. When a cop (who, statistically, happens to have about a 75% national likelihood of being white) shoots someone that didn't have it coming, that victim is, more often than not, a minority, and the cop typically has a much higher chance of getting off with a censure where a lower-class black (for example) kid in a similar situation might get 25 to life.

The way these discussions usually go, a certain sort asks "Why do blacks keep killing people and no one bats an eye?," to which someone answers "The legacy of marginalization, and the daunting escape velocity one needs to reach to free themselves from urban poverty. Their race is secondary to their circumstances." Then they ask "Why do whites/cops/wannabe warriors/etc. keep killing black people and getting away with it?," to which the reply is "WHY DO BLACKS KEEP KILLING PEOPLE AND NO ONE BATS AN EYE."

I am just getting really tired of rehashing this thread, is all.

Well if the statistic for white cops is that high, the thread could have just said "Cop shoots yet another person for no reason" and that should have been equally as rage inducing.

AtomBomb said:
If there was a thread posted for every time a black person killed a white person, we would probably have to make a separate website.

The point of this is that the officer probably used race as a determining factor in deciding to use lethal force, would he have done the same thing to someone looking for help that he thought looked like him? I'd guess no, otherwise we'd have a lot more manslaughter cases.

Sicblades said:
Well if the statistic for white cops is that high, the thread could have just said "Cop shoots yet another person for no reason" and that should have been equally as rage inducing.
I wholeheartedly agree. (and for the record, the numbers may be slightly fuzzy/outdated, and it differs in some large urban centers (for instance, last I heard New York had a slight majority of black officers, and L.A.'s majority was now hispanic). The question was directed at Max's line of thinking, it just inadvertently ended up dovetailing nicely with the post you got in before I was done writing it.

Along the same lines, though, bad title or no, I am inclined to raise an eyebrow when a post opens with an article about an unarmed man in need of assistance who was shot dead by someone sworn to serve and protect him and the first response that occurs to some people isn't "injustice" or "how sad" or even "shit happens," but "WELL, BLACKS!"

Also, what Guiltyofbeingtrite said.

But what separates this from other recent cases is that the officer seems to have been quickly arrested and charged, I assume he'll probably do jail time as well.

The fact that this thread still exists and merely had the title changed while the other was immediately vatted speaks for itself.

When whites are brutally murdered and race is clearly the motive, it isn't news and it's racist to discuss it. When blacks are killed by whites regardless of circumstance, it's a national tragedy and a hate crime.

A very large black male gets into a car accident, finds a nearby house, and proceeds to "bang on the door viciously" of a white woman's home in the middle of the night. She's terrified and hits her panic button, sending police on their way.

They get there thinking there's a home invasion in progress, and taze him. He then charges them and one of the cops magdumps him. The PD rules it a justified shooting, there's "national outrage" from leftist/black groups (Sound familiar?), and the PD does a 180 and throws the officer to the wolves.

There's more to this story we haven't heard yet. I suspect he'll be found not guilty.

Let the drug/alcohol tests be completed before any rush to judgements are made. Most bars close up shop at 2:00am here in the states, the incident happened at 2:30am. That alone raises some flags.

Facts as we know it:

-Climbed out of a severely wrecked car.

-Pounding on the front door at 2:30am which is risky in a rural area no matter what color you are.

-May or may not have ran at police.

Generally speaking, the cops don't shoot you if your standing still and doing what they ask. Something happened here that hasn't been reported yet. Or maybe the cop is just a racist fool who likes shooting black people. The easier explanation, but not one that makes the most sense.

Two questions for you, Phil.

The sincere one: to what extent do you believe that black-on-white crime is racially motivated? No one's denying that racism exists in black cultures, just as it exists in almost every culture. but I'd like to know how many people you think are being mistreated in ways that have any serious negative consequences in their lives or being targeted for violent crime specifically because they're white. You seem to be a well-read guy, and we obviously get our news in different places. Maybe you've seen something I haven't.

The pointed one: The race card does get thrown about a bit loosely, true, but do you honestly think that so very, very many different people from such diverse social backgrounds would keep bringing up the issue whenever they got even the most indirect opening for discussion if it was a non-issue, or if it had been at all adequately addressed or redressed? Is it all just some kind of complicit conspiracy to keep the white man down?

Yamu said:
Two questions for you, Phil.

The sincere one: to what extent do you believe that black-on-white crime is racially motivated?

For non-violent crimes (stealing cars, robbing unoccupied homes), a very small percent. For violent crimes (armed robbery, assault, rape, murder), an extremely high percent.

Yamu said:
No one's denying that racism exists in black cultures, just as it exists in almost every culture. but I'd like to know how many people you think are being mistreated in ways that has any serious negative consequences in their lives or being targeted for violent crime specifically because they're white.

Plenty of cases here with enraged blacks brutally murdering whites for no apparent reason. You're going to have a hard time finding any criminal who's going to come out and say "I targeted them specifically because they were white" after the fact.

Personally, going through middle and high school with a very high % black student body, I can tell you that it was a daily occurrence of white kids getting jumped by 5+ blacks and having the shit kicked out of them for no other reason than looking weak and being white to screams of "FUCKIN CRACKA PIECE OF SHIT HONKEY MUHFUCKA".

Yamu said:
The pointed one: The race card does get thrown about a bit loosely, true, but do you honestly think that so very, very many different people from such diverse social backgrounds would keep bringing up the race issue whenever they got even the most indirect opening for bringing it into the discussion if it was a non-issue, or if it had been at all adequately addressed or redressed?

Yes, absolutely. It's about creating a narrative to pander to your target audience, and glossing over or ignoring anything that doesn't fit said narrative. It's why any perceived white-on-black racism is blown up by CNN/MSNBC, and why you probably haven't heard of Christopher Lane, Jeffrey Babbit and Delbert Belton. Leftists love stirring the pot, just like the right wing loves to play on white people's fear of blacks.

That said, I'll never write someone off just because of their race, and I'll take a black conservative libertarian over a white leftist any day of the week.

alec said:
The mere fact that journalists still use the adjectives black and white to add drama to their articles tells me that humankind is still very far removed of what one might call civilized.
Never let a good tragedy go to waste. What better than a killing to capitalize on to validate one's own partisan strokery?

It's about creating a narrative to pander to your target audience
Get your pesky evidence out of the way of my knee-jerk outrage. There's superficial demographics to exploit here.

Protip: Don't run towards police. Run away.

My friend just got an assault on police officer charge for putting his hand on the cop's shoulder, gingerly. They then drove him to jail and beat him up a little bit in the parking lot.

Anyway, fuckin cops are crazy. They spend their entire careers just waiting, hoping to be able to use their weapon in the line of duty. Theyre like the USMC but their tour lasts up to 50 years. Give them just a hint of an excuse, I dare you; black or white you will regret it.

Back