Project Van Buren

I really like this feature where you can select beforehand which combat mode you want to use. RT or TB. If the encounter is easy then why not crush them in real-time whereas tougher encounters might require careful planing in turn-based.

If the encounter is so easy that you can braindead rush through it with real time combat, why have that encounter in the first place.

I have never seen a game that had tb and rt and didn't felt crap because of it.

In a game without level scaling you will sometimes have to fight enemies that you have out-leveled. It can be tedious to do that in turn-based.

But I agree that combat encounters should be well thought out to give the player a challenge.

e: Starting to think about it I actually like RTwP games. So it can be a nice contrast to use that every once in a while.

Last edited:

I really like this feature where you can select beforehand which combat mode you want to use. RT or TB. If the encounter is easy then why not crush them in real-time whereas tougher encounters might require careful planing in turn-based.

God Damn! This looks so good. I do see those little things that looked unpolished, to be expected of an unfinished game. Like when you butt smash someone the gun clips through them, but regardless it looks like so much fucking fun. Both RT and TB look super satisfying and rewarding. Having Head and Body armor be separate slots is just phenomenal. And the fact that this being made in unity means it'll be easy for modders to customize the experience with new gear and weapons. Keep up the work Adam, I need to get my hands on this ASAP.

God Damn! This looks so good. I do see those little things that looked unpolished, to be expected of an unfinished game. Like when you butt smash someone the gun clips through them, but regardless it looks like so much fucking fun. Both RT and TB look super satisfying and rewarding. Having Head and Body armor be separate slots is just phenomenal. And the fact that this being made in unity means it'll be easy for modders to customize the experience with new gear and weapons. Keep up the work Adam, I need to get my hands on this ASAP.
Thank you. The combat is very, very simplistic at this point. AI doesn't have any navigation logic save from melee where it knows it has to follow its target to a specified range. All the shooters just stand in place for now though. There are no critical hits yet, no bodypart differentiation (even non-Called Shots will hit specific bodyparts - torso has the biggest chance, and as the bodypart gets smaller, so does the chance of hitting it - J.E.Sawyer's design). And no Called Shots. And about zillion other things that I'm forgetting right now.

However, all these things either extend the existing functionality or pose as a rather separate/modular addition. The main goal is to get this simple combat core working properly. It is almost there, most of the improvements I do now are in the code design (fixing broken programming principles, refactoring for better clarity, modularity and ability to be extended, that sort of stuff).

However, all these things either extend the existing functionality or pose as a rather separate/modular addition. The main goal is to get this simple combat core working properly. It is almost there, most of the improvements I do now are in the code design
Awesome. After the core mechanics are working do you have any intention of bringing other people from the community on to help work on the project? Or are you staying solo?

Awesome. After the core mechanics are working do you have any intention of bringing other people from the community on to help work on the project? Or are you staying solo?
The goal is to create all the functionality and tools, allowing engine users to make content with it.
After that, I'd like to get some community feedback on the engine before continuing.
And after that, I don't really know what's going to happen. I have some plans, some connections have been made, but all that floats between daydreaming and complete surrealism at this point.

Back