Rate the DLC's

oh...I didn't expect that guy really said some ancient mystery was done by alien...

well, alien itself wasn't bad I guess.
but War was happened by aliens?
seriously?
War, war never changes because the war was always happened by aliens...wow..what a stupid joke.

The whole thing about aliens starting a war was a really, really slight nudge, and not necessarily canon. I don't mind it, and I don't believe it.

The biggest problem is, that beth don't understand what was the main theme and message of Fallout.
not only didn't understand them, beth make fool of those two.

woo1108 said:
The biggest problem is, that beth don't understand what was the main theme and message of Fallout.
not only didn't understand them, beth make fool of those two.
I'd rather say, that they don't give a crap about messages and themes. They are ready to implement everything that will sell. I find myself even unable to hate them, this is how free market works after all.
Thanks fate for Brian Fargo anyway. And Kickstarter.

1. The pitt, even if only for the color palette. I hate the "trogs", idiotic idea. ZOMBIES is what they are. AGAIN.

2. Anchorage, it has interesting color palette.

3. Broken Steel. While I still thought loot mattered, I liked this one, cus there lots of good loot. But... loot doesn't matter.

4. Mothership Zeta, gnnnnnh... I like Paulson's revolver....

5. Point Lookout, oh yeah, cus... enemies weren't scaled up enough allready. Raiders weren't capable of EATING UP enough BULLETS WITH THEIR FACE - no - we need MORE such capacities!!!

Just over the scaled up enemies? You can mod that out- poor leveling seems like a paltry reason to consider Point Lookout the worst DLC, considering it has the most well-written content with the most options.

2. Anchorage, it has interesting color palette.
Totally agree with you. since fo3's background is not various, looking at snows makes me refreshed.

Wumbology, it's level scailing I guess.
beth's level scailing always make me sick since Daggerfall though I like Daggerfall and Morrowind.
Leveling means method about level uping.

1. Point Lookout
Cool atmosphere, a pretty interesting look inside of your character's psychology for once, and overall probably my favorite part of F3 in general.

2. The Pitt
Probably the most FO-esque in it's atmosphere/story but I found the map to be tedious and it seemed to play far too quickly. Still, immensely satisfying.

3. Broken Steel
There was a ton of chaotic fun here and that in itself was very enjoyable, but it's not FO at all.

4. Mothership Zeta
Fucking stupid.

5. Operation Anchorage
I feel like I'm playing a COD stealth mission. And that's just awful.

Finally finished the goty edition.I'am glad i didn't have to pay separatly for those content, or the full release price.
It good not to be hurry...

1. The Pitt
(good)

Amongs all the DLC and the main game, that was the part i remember i enjoyed the most.

- There is a good ambiance/scenery. Plus, the visual aspect is consistant with the story and the setting.
- The place in accessed by some kind of world travel, which released me from that open world's crap.
- Almost all locations that you explore are relevant to the story. Even those who aren't much provide some nice feelings. So you don't feel you're wasting your time.
- The story/quest have step that allows you to discover the locations/characters/situations one by one, in a way that is intriguing and always relevant in the big picture.
- The characters that are underdevellopped help you to understand how the city works, so they serve a purpose.
- The setting with slavery and the contagion are nice. So is the baby cure. Plus, it makes you care about it.
- There is a good twist when you learn that Werner is worst than Ashur.
- This is the only part of the game that doesn't crash much. (but still does)

- Everything seems rushed at the moment you meet Ashur.
- The two endings seems not to differ enough. In the end, the slavery continues and the cure is not found yet.
- Not enough post-main quest content.
- It make the rest of the game even more awfull knowing that they could deliver that kind of setting.
- It is still lower than other games standards. (FNV and previous Fo, others post-apo RPG/FPS...)

2. Mothership Zeta (average)

Contrary to most of users, i, since the beginning, entairtained the idea that one of the subsequents Fallout would make the aliens appear as characters/creatures/factions.
They were presents in almost all previous games, in specials encounters or dead bodies, and fit with the SF parodic aspect that Fallout always had (with or without wild wasteland).
Plus, they aren't canon breaking IMO, as they keep a low profile, and are from a distant place, not targetted from the war.
So, in that aspect, Bethesda satisfied my wish in a way that is not much offensive.

- If we can go past the fact it is not an RPG, nor a strong story, i appreciate that the situation evolve every step of the way. It is not just a straight shooting without purpose.
(Evasion from cells, discovery of the ship, realeasing of the prisoners, progress in the ship with those, uncovering experiments, path to the captain, fight agains't the captain, space ships fight)
- All places seems relevants, both in the Sally's plan and in the way the ship is processed.
- All those places are differents. It is not the same metro with the same ghouls.
- The ending is epic, with that ship battle and every characters on the line. Silly, but epic.
- I am satisfied by the way aliens are depicted.
- Abomination are a little surprise, but at least, the twist is positive, and give aliens a purpose.
- While not great, the characters had some good traits. Plus they resisted the english speaking samourai with bad accent. And Sally is not a jerk.
- Like the characters from the past on stasis stuff.
- The aliens recordings and brahmins stuff help a lot on the fun/mystery aspect.
- You don't ask yourself why you would undertake those quests. (need that dream crusher perk... Too bad there's not gonna be a second Fo3 playthrough)

- It is definitally not an RPG DLC. It is a FPS with no hurry.
- The characters are underdevelloped. (too bad Somah is not able to say she's a slaver, thanks to a corrupted skill check...)
- There is nothing original. (at all)
- It can't say there is a strong storyline beyond surviving, killing aliens, uncover experiments, and escaping. (but it is at least entertainting)
- It could have been easily more fun, with competents writters.
- Sally knows too much about areas she's never been.
- Bethesda didn't took any risk on that DLC. So the success is moderate.
- Considering those bad aspects, the fact this addon is second becomes itself not reassuring.

3. Point Lookout (poor)

I put this DLC above Broken Steel only because it bring more content, and a little more quests but it found myself pretty disapointed by this DLC.

- The setting is different from Capital DC.
- There are moderate RPG aspects.
- There are trees
- Swampfolks are an interesting concept. But it is just a concept, like almost everything in Fo3.
- The Mother punga sequence is very nice on a self contained level. The problem is that it don't fit with the rest of the game. Fo3 is not about psychology or alternate realities.
- Ghoul safari seems a nice gameplay concept, but it was no point being there.
- I liked the way they chose to unlock safer in the people bank. Too bad it is one of the place that crashes the most. (i may have restarted the game 30 times on a single trip (i had all the relevant holodiscs))

- Most quests seems meaningless. Who Cares about Desmond/Calvert as they are both the same jerk and you learn nothing more from them that you'll already knew after the first encounter ? What the point of doing the chinese spy quest, as war is long over, chinese are supposed to be ennemies and the only ones encountered were only hostiles to the players ? So much fuzz for a book ? Is the lone wanderer a believer ?
- Almost all quests are disapointing in the end. You can't work for Calvert. Sparing or killing Desmond is meanlingless, morally, offer no reward (he authorizes you to loot), and you learn nothing more except that you could use another bullet on him. The only quest that matters is solved by Nadine. And Tobar just say some sarcasm before becoming a permanent guest on what was his ship (that he gave easily). You gain nothing except stuff, from the spy quest.
- All spawmpfolk are hostiles.
- There is almost none living in the dock. I get that there was an intention to feel cheated by the postal card, but no fucking dock inhabitant is a shame.
- Actual speaking character are few and far between, and seems unlikely to be there, as the crippled old man, the merchant with no memory, or the ghoul safari, that none could step across.
- Too much useless places, like in Fo3.
- It's like all the low points of Fo3, on a different "city".

4. Broken Steel (poor. Not really a DLC)

I won't say much about the last two DLC as they are, IMO those who received the least care.

Broken Steel had the nice initiative to make the game world change after the main quest ending, but, beyond it, is doesn't bring any strong story or new setting.

- Bigsley became one of my favorite characters of Fo3, as he keep shouting at loud about all the nonsense around him. (a remainder of the great ability Fallout series had to break the fourth wall in a good way)
- Water caravans are a nice addition. I would have prefered that they would actually go to some cities, instead of wandering randomly on the waste, but i won't blame the writers on this. The engine is to be blamed.
- Jefferson Memorial and Rivet City Entrance become more active.
- You get ONE challenging battle agains't the Enclave.

- You learn nothing more about the Enclave, nor you can join them.
- The Feral Ghoul Reaver and the Albinos radscorpions ruined any balance that the game could have. I hate the former.
- The Enclave quests are just FPS, with no story beyond. (some part were nice, the rest was just boring. Shoot, shoot and more shoot)
- The Caravans quests were silly in a way. So much fuzz for something that lost any price value...
- They actually SOLD it as a separate content ? I see the whole thing as a simple patch, with 2 missions...

5. Operation Anchorage (only bad)

I am not sure you could balance anything up, except that the intro scenery is nice... Ho, and it is on par with the Pitt for not crashing much...

- A pure FPS, not an RPG.
- A missed opportunity to give depth to chinese. (always hostile taunting faction, like Talon & muties)
- A missed opportunity to give more depth to BOS Outcast. (and even with a grunt who prefer killing his friends than giving to you his toys)
- Contrary to Mothership Zeta, the missions seems random, and the ending is anti-climatic.
- The Jingheï fight is silly, underwelming and quickly boring. Same for the dialogs. He is the leader of an entire faction, for god's sake.
- The DLC is boring after 5 minutes and done after 2 hours.
- What the point of that quest ? The war is over and the BOS outcast won't use that tech anyway...
- You learn nothing about Anchorage, as Constantine invented everything.
- The latter is the only character that seems to matter as he's lying veteran, but no more depht is given beyond the initial concept.
- I am not even sure if all american soldiers behaviors are supposed to be parodic or heroic... (considering they are the proto-enclave i would say the former, but i am not sure Beth got it...)

In the end, the Vanilla Game vary between moderate and horrible, but i took some risks and added many content that could be used for New Vegas modders (Fo3 crashes too much) so i'll put it right after The Pitt. But the Mothership Zeta was entertaining.

Last edited:
1: Point Lookout
A fun place to explore, pretty good story and a number of the characters were very interesting. I would be happy to see Lockheart again. At the end he says he is going north to deal with another old rival so it could happen. And nice to see there is somewhere in Fallout 3 with people farming. I still think Fallout 3 would have been better off as a prequel. Overall I really liked it. However the Swampfolk really are overpowered, so much health.

2: The Pitt
A close second. I do think some the best stories Fallout 3 told were environmental stories, that is partly because the stories in quests often aren't very good. But The Pitt does have a good story it is the best questline in Fallout 3. By the end you really have to question what the right thing to do is, which is much better than the normal Black and White morality seen in Fallout 3. Also I should mention the Ammo Press and some of the other rewards are nice.

3: Broken Steel
It fixes a major plothole from Fallout 3, adds in some more, lets you play after the ending. Really it is just more of Fallout 3's main quest. The content isn't terrible, but Fallout 3's main quest wasn't very good to begin with. Still it does make the main quest better. Really the best quests it adds are side quests. The uber enemies they add do annoy me. And while getting up to level 30 might sound interesting, the raising of the level cap does make you insanely strong. Making things unbalanced is kind of a theme of Broken Steel really. Still, some of the new gear is nice. Overall the DLC is okay.

4:Operation Anchorage
Bad. The questline and story just aren't very good. I did like seeing more of the outcasts but we hardly see much. And while I looked forward to seeing a simulation of Anchorage the reality was pretty dull. The rewards are good though, I slog through it for that usually at a enough low level. But I can't use the stealth suit, it's just too overpowered. It's a total game breaker.

5:Mothership Zeta
Also bad. Really it and Operation Anchorage are around the same level, but the poor portrayal of Aliens and implying they started the war makes this one worse. Like Operation Anchorage it has a bad questline and story with really good rewards that I'll slog through it for. That Alien Rifle is an excellent Energy Weapon. Could Aliens in Fallout be done well? Maybe, basically any premise can be done well. But it wasn't. I also hated the child character in this DLC. What I hate the most is implying that Aliens started the war. They didn't confirm it, thank god for that, but it really annoyed me. So yeah, this one is bad too.

I hope they would never confirm who lauchned the bombs, who cares if it is chinese, americans, bored ia, aliens.

The point is. Bombs were man-made, and everyone understand that they could have been lauchned by human.

Beside that, i am ok for a new theory in each Fallout Episode, as long as they NEVER NEVER confirm who lauch them.

1. The Pitt...good - but not stable on PS3
2. Operation Anchourage - ok - but also very buggy on PS3
3. Point Lookout...very good...especially those freaky inhabitants are really...mhm...strange
4. Broken Steel...good...no comment required, if the 101 survives :grin:
5. Mothership Zeta...no idea...I tried around 100 times...always crashs on PS3...so I cannot give any comment.

I hope they would never confirm who lauchned the bombs, who cares if it is chinese, americans, bored ia, aliens.

The point is. Bombs were man-made, and everyone understand that they could have been lauchned by human.

Beside that, i am ok for a new theory in each Fallout Episode, as long as they NEVER NEVER confirm who lauch them.

The President in Fallout 2 says that when they were occupying Bejing, the bombs got launched. But I am still considering that as a biased statement. And if you look at how he looks.. I wouldn't believe anything.

Back