Ripten Wasteland 2 Interview

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
Ripten offers a very good interview with InXile CEO Brian Fargo.<blockquote>MF: There have been a lot of questions, and people are very interested, are we going to see any Fallout influence bleed back into the world of Wasteland 2?

BF: I got a similar question another way, when we put things into the game, it’s hard to say who inspired what. There are Wasteland things in Fallout. If I put something into Wasteland 2, am I taking for Fallout or am I taking from Wasteland? From a copyright perspective, we’re not going to take anything from Fallout that isn’t ours. That’s owned by Bethesda, so we need to be clear on that, but there are overarching elements. The way the religions work and some of the combat, there are going to be some similarities because one is the heritage and the other shares it.

MF: Do you think people who have never played Wasteland are expecting the game to be more like Fallout?

BF: The games are very similar. I think the things that drew people to Wasteland and Fallout are the similarities. It’s not like the top-down graphics are what grabbed people with Wasteland. There was this open sandbox world and we weren’t preaching to you as to how to behave, in terms of a morality perspective. The “correct” thing to do was never clear, and sometimes, there weren’t clear, correct things. There was also a lot of cause and effect and a lot of subtlety; layers and layers of gameplay in a post-apocalyptic world, with an interesting combat system.

Both of those games have the exact same things going for them. Really, it was the worlds that drew people in, without so much concern about “that one was top-down” and “this one is isometric.” Well, we’re probably more likely to be going with isometric, because, graphically, it looks more interesting. It’s all the things that the two games have in common that are going to be in Wasteland 2, except for the party system. Wasteland was more of a party-based game. You start off with your four main rangers, and you swapped NPCs in and out based on what particularly skills they had. All the things that people loved about those two games? Wasteland 2 will have all of those elements.

(...)

MF: Along those lines, you’ve very recently mentioned that if the project hits $2M, there will be some social features. The fan reaction… well, there’s been a lot of confusion around that.

BF: Yeah. Yup. Right before you called I was working on a project update to give that a little more color. I’ve read all that. I think… I already know what they want at $2M. We have forums out there. It’s larger world and more content, more dialog, more audio, more NPC portraits. I’m going to do all that stuff! I… and I shouldn’t have done it… I threw out a fringe idea for discussion, because people keep asking, “what else are going to do?” I was focusing on the “what else.” “Social” is a four-letter word with extra letters. I understand.

People have been burned by a lot of these games that try to be “social.” So, I’m clarifying that. As much as it was like, “Whoa! Slow down, guys! We’re not getting away from this core RPG,” I still prefer this kind of communication. I prefer to know. You might go down a path… in the past, when I made all these other RPGs, I was flying by the seat of my pants, using my instincts as a gamer. Sometimes, you have to be careful. For me, this really helps close the loop, making sure that we’re working on the things that people want. The last thing that we want to do is go work on a feature only to find out that no one wants it. I don’t want to do it either, if no one wants it.</blockquote>

Definitely the best interview so far. So much interesting information and most importantly I can rest assured now that Wasteland 2 will be worth any money.

I may have to withdraw my money if they remove the social feature.... :roll:

I don't really get everybody's issue with the whole "social" thingy. He didn't say MMO, multiplayer, or Facebook for that matter. Plus, it's just an idea which would probably not take that much of the team's resources. However I do firmly believe he should create the best singleplayer experience possible before pursuing the "social" aspect of Wasteland 2. As long as it's great goddamn post-apocalyptic old-school RPG, I'm game. Good thing he's not concentrating on top-down camera. I'm more of an isometric kinda guy.

A nice interview which bring back the good vibe.
He obviously have his idea of how to manage fan feedback, restricting it to the vision document.
A good thing for all those so easily panicked about a possible “design by committee” situation.
As far as i'm concerned i already know all the essential aspect of the project.
Not that i'm not very curious about the "details" of course, but everything really important is already there, no need to find new features. And if more money than expected is collected, just improve existing ones IMHO.
From what i can understand about the combat system i like it.
Also he really hates publisher. I hope with his atitude he will not create problems for small/meduim size developers (i'm not surprise that Tom Shaefer hesitate to sign on kicking it forward).

Yep, I'm back in with this project now. Go Brian, let's hit $2m!

I think he should publicise this interview in a project update, as I'm sure a lot of people would pledge more if they read it - particularly re: the social elements issue.

Well, we’re probably more likely to be going with isometric, because, graphically, it looks more interesting.

This made me smile. And it's always nice to smile, no?

Thanks for the feedback guys, I helped Mike out with the questions and reached out to Brother None as well. Glad ya liked the results!

This is the most important part of the interview, as seen in Gameplanet or many other sites and blogs:

Fargo generally described the relationship between developers and publishers as abysmal, adding that developers don’t speak out for fear they’ll never get another contract.

Fargo then went on to use Obsidian, Bethesda and the bug-ridden launch of Fallout: New Vegas as an example: “The ship date got moved up and, who does the [Quality Assurance] on a project? The publisher is always in charge of QA.

“When a project goes out buggy, it’s not the developer. The developer never says, ‘I refuse to fix the bug,’ or, ‘I don’t know how.’ They never do that. It’s the publisher that does the QA, so if a product goes out buggy, it’s not the developer’s fault.

“So, [Fallout: New Vegas] goes out buggy and they didn’t do the QA, their ship date got moved up and they missed their metacritic rating by one point. Did they get a bonus? No. Do you think that’s fair?”

“I tried to get some of my publisher friends, who I used to make a lot of money for, to donate,” added Fargo. “Do you think they donated? No. Their employees did.”

What is Game Planet?

Also, it's certainly interesting to see Fargo kind of burn bridges like that. He's not making a secret of the fact that his co-operation with Bethesda was an awful experience, and it doesn't seem like he has much interest in ever working with them again. Still, it's risky.

But to us following Wasteland 2, there's better bits than that in the interview. His stuff on hardcore players and following Fallout as inspiration were interesting.

On the topic of publishers it would be interesting to get Fargo's thoughts on his time at Interplay where he was "the publisher" for various third parties. Does he feel he was too heavy handed, did he become what he now "hates", etc.

I'm kind of surprised that no one has really touched on this especially since the publisher/developer relationship has been a pretty prevalent topic in his interviews.

The industry will only change when people stop supporting the mega companies and their "franchises", ignorance is bliss.

frosty_theaussie said:
Crni Vuk said:
is Fargo on a crussade against publishers here?

He better not burn too many bridges. Kickstarter is interesting but not a proven long-term funding model.

May not HAVE to be long term, if there is enough profit on this game after release (say just a couple million), they could continue on this type fringe development for a long time without having to go back to kickstarter for more funding (at least not for every project).

Back