RM Milner on Fallout fans again

Hey there, mr Milner, and welcome. Kudos on your thesis, I found it well-written and representative of most fan-developers interactions out there, though maybe you should look into Blizzard and their Starcraft 2 for more positive case studies.

themilner said:
we get into the tricky issue of what exactly would be acceptable to change. I'd love to hear what NMA thinks on this, since it was something I never got a consensus on as I observed (it may be that there isn't one)

Well, even if a true consensus is kinda impossible by definition, I think you'll find that this issue isn't all that tricky from our viewpoint. There are, of course, a lot of points of contention - the change in tone, particularly the humour; the different musical and at times even visual style; storyline elements; childkilling, etc - but the gist of it is pretty much set in stone, because what the actual creators of the Fallout franchise had envisioned, its core elements, have been thoroughly documented.

Fallout was conceived as an emulation of the pen-and-paper RPGs, with the computer working as the dungeon master, so to speak. It is, as such, a return to the very roots of role-playing, creating a character and navigating him through a world and its different choices, according to his skills and even morals. Bethesda's approach to Fallout, for an instance, has the player's skill, not the character's, weighing a lot in regards to combat, and that just doesn't cut it. Perspective here is not an absolute must by itself, but because it better suited the whole purpose of the game.

themilner said:
So what do you guys think would be the most acceptable to update?

Whatever does not change the franchise's raison d'être. For an instance, the originals had many plain useless skills which could be a lot better developed and put to good use. And why not expand upon the choices and consequences which play so great a part on the game and have been seldom matched, much less improved in any RPG in the last 10 or so years?

Perhaps Tim Cain, one of the series' fathers, would be better suited to answer that question. Check out this interview here at NMA, question 12.

themilner said:
But rabid or not, I definitely wouldn't call you assholes.

Well, seems I was wrong.
Regardless, I did read your article (and the previous one you had hyperlinked) and that was the impression that I got. I suppose "assholes" was a strong choice of a word.
Moreover, thanks for writing an article that was attempting to persuade game companies to interact more acceptably with the community. You would think that the current fans would be the ones Bethesda would look to for suggestions, but when you make a game completely different(Gameplay-wise) than it's two predecessors and still name it the third, I guess you don't really give a fuck what the fans think anyway.

themilner said:
As far as the offending comment, sorry to upset anyone. I figured I might get some flak if I included it, but I did so because my observations led me to believe that some fans doomed Bethesda from the start (even if rightfully so) and would rather Van Buren or Fan Made Fallout any day than a next-gen game (once again, even if rightfully so).

But like I said, that's just part of me (an outsider who's never been an active participant in the fan community, though I love the games). I was intentionally moving from a broad generalization (that many other than myself make, as you all know) and on to a more nuanced discussion of the issues. <snip>

Welcome, and thanks for the clarification.
It is refreshing to see someone willing to put an opinion like that out there, when they came to it as a result of some research, as opposed to just hearing it thrown around the net too many times.
(as I might have assumed.. :P )

I appreciate your understanding of that statement being the broadest of generalizations as well, and how it is only useful as a stepping stone to a more complicated discussion.

kudos for having the cajones to come talk to us.
:D

Makagulfazel said:
Moreover, thanks for writing an article that was attempting to persuade game companies to interact more acceptably with the community.

I'm happy to be at peace with someone who has Walter Sobchak as their avatar. Greatest film ever.

Brother None said:
That idea doesn't finish there, to understand what he wants to communicate you really need to read the rest. Just to be fair.

Hell, to be even fairer, people in this thread harping on that quote - without understanding the dude's knowledge of our attitude and the fact that this is just one thought in a row of many - are being goddamn stupid.

Stupid.
hey, you picked the quotes.

and yes, i'd love to read every goddamn article you post about, but i can't. so i interpret the stuff you quote and based on that, i'll decide if i read it or not.

lately usually not, since i simply can't spare the time. which sucks. hard.
Brother None said:
Just. Saying.
your quote.
just. saying.

;)

RM Milner- Welcome to our forum. I salute you for braving the community, something that Bethesda's folks have shown little spine for.

I wish I could say I have read your thesis. I have not, although I have printed your thesis and it sits waiting for me to finish my dissertation. I have read some of the articles on your thesis, and am looking forward to reading it.

I have a few thoughts I'd like to share. This is my 2 cents.

That makes sense. From there, we get into the tricky issue of what exactly would be acceptable to change. I'd love to hear what NMA thinks on this, since it was something I never got a consensus on as I observed (it may be that there isn't one). Some seem to think that gameplay mechanics (tb, iso, text box, point an click, etc.) would be the most important to keep similar to the past.

Others feel like it's more an issue of tone (plot, choice and consequence, dialogue, dark humor, etc.). And I can't get away from this, but some people may just want all that left alone Smile, which I guess would mean a Fallout with more graphical polish and a larger world to roam in, but not much else different. So what do you guys think would be the most acceptable to update?

You're right- the fans disagree on the particulars but generally not on the basics. As our people have suggested, not Fallout 1 and 2, but something more refined, developed- yet consistent with the themes and elements of the originals. Most of us were fairly happy with Van Buren after we saw what the plan was, and we were willing to give Tactics a shot, even if it wasn't the Fallout game we wanted. FOBOS, got slammed from the start.

But you are right to point out that there is disagreement on particulars, but not the basics.

More importantly, that division has been exploited by Bethesda to make something Falloutish. Whether they have succeeded at that will depend on the final product. No hint exists as no demo exists. But that's Bethesda's monopoly of info at work.

More importantly- if Bethesda really wanted to know what the Fans wanted, they could have asked and did the market research. A review of some of their older polls on their own forums would suggest what fans wanted. A better examination of NMA might have led to similar conclusions. So why create a game that is more like Oblivion and less like Fallout? Maybe it comes down to who they asked when trying to find out what they were going to make? Or perhaps what they were capable of making?

This raises a question of intentions, goals and the origins of preferences.

As BN points out- why listen to fans when you don't have too? It also raises the question of the fundamental differences between fans and developers. The fans want a good fallout game consistent with their prior expectations (yet also one that grasps innovation).

The developers? Unless you buy the BS about art, they want a profit. To be fair, if I was sinking big money in a game, I would want to make a buck at it too.

Can these goals be reconciled? Perhaps.

But reconcile means compromise and all compromises entail some sacrifice. The question then who makes the sacrifices and where are the compromises made?

To understand choices one needs to consider power- who gets to choose. Sadly, the fans have little power if the developer ignores them except to voice their outrage.

Whether that outrage will affect sales, is still to be seen- that's a question of consequences, not cause. I would suspect that Bethesda has done its homework and, consequently, doesn't feel the need for further compromises to the fans.

And NMA? Our community survives because it appreciates the Fallout universe. Our community creates mods, writes walkthroughs, writes reviews, studies similar games and watches business news. We are hardcore.

But like all such fan communities or forums, we are also institutionalized- and all institutions exist to mobilize bias. NMA has prided itself on being a critical, if frequently harshly, source of news and opinion for the community and a gathering place for the fans. Our origins go back to the original games when community interaction was somewhat different.

That matters- NMA and other fans are used to significant interaction with fallout developers Interplay and Black Island. This interaction helped not only create a better Fallout game, but also created standards and expectation within the community.

With Bethesda taking FO 3 there has been a change in focus and the creation of more competitive interaction. As you know, our community frequently gets slammed as being the most rabid of hardcore fan communities (how we get that label and DAC doesn't - is a bit curious). Its an interesting attack against our members, which I suspect is largely (but not completely) undeserved.

There were other issues of fan interaction that, well, were odd. Bethesda is willing to pay thousands of dollars to foreign media, but then undermines the communities ability to circulate or gain information or even contribute- unless its on their terms?

Why has Bethesda played this game? Why have they not used our resources? Why have they not tried to cultivate excitement among the hardcore fans.

Perhaps, because that would have entailed too great a sacrifice. It might have required that they reimagine what they would do with Fallout. That it would require them to move away from Oblivion style gaming to something more traditional to the Fallout universe?

That's risky. The more you spend, the less you are willing to risk.

I personally can't believe that they didn't anticipate the reaction of the community to their designs. When company purchases the assets of another, it will frequently salvage what it wants, discard or sell off what it doesn't. It keeps what it hopes to profit from. Bethesda bought the license, they get to adopt the style, control the copyright, but the rest... well, perhaps that was too expensive to maintain.

Also, @ Brother None. I've been thinking a lot about your original critique. That Bethesda has no financial incentive to listen to fans. You really do seem to be right there. It's like they've had to reinvent their fanbase with every new TES game. Yet they still make skads of cash. Something of an anomaly. If Marvel overhauled Spider-man the same way every four years, would they be so lucky? I wonder if isolating their fans will eventually catch up to them, financially speaking.

Reinvent- not quite. They seek to acquire both the traditional fallout fans, satisfy the Oblivion fans, and draw a new group of fans into their community. Their ambitions are great- thus the hype.

What Bethesda seeks is to profit, not just of Fallout 3, but for the expansions and further sequels and their other genre games. They want repeat customers. It sees its deep investment as potentially generating a long profit stream. What it does for its game engine, it may utilize in future games.

As owner of the license, it has the power to draw in Bethesda's Oblivion fans, acquire new fans and perhaps capture older fallout fans- if only driven by the hype of playing a new "Fallout." The game is merely their vehicle for the acquisition of wealth.

If profit is the goal, hegemony is the mechanism. In this, I suspect that Bethesda seeks to frame fan expectations and desires in order to continue producing products that those fans want in the future. In the process, its willing to ignore past expectations.

It therefore moves away from game play like we saw on Fallout 1 and 2, and moves towards Oblivion style game play because its cheaper, it knows the Oblivion engine, and therefore the amount of initial investment is limited as is the technical risks. It reduces costs and also has a fan base that it can rely on for its profit. In the process, it chooses to move away from the expectations of older fans and create new expectations among a new generation of gamers.

Hegemony is its power to frame what fans expect and desire and then be rewarded by satisfying those 'constructed' desires. It creates the expectations and the rules of the game, and players consent by purchasing it.

Bethesda has tremendous power to achieve that hegemony. It alone controls whether another Fallout will be made, and its either their Fallout or no Fallout. This is, in a way, coercive- you play our game or not all.

To be fair, I expect they will make a wonderful post- apocalyptic game- but not a wonderful Fallout game. That will be enough to satisfy most fans who want to play a post-apoc game.

It won't satisfy the hardcore Fallout fans. Those fans, however,can be marginalized by calling them rabid fans of an antiquated technology. The older hardcore fans are so few that Bethesda believes they can be jettisoned. And if Fallout 3 is popular enough, than they might get converts and there may be few of the hardcore fans when Bethesda makes Fallout 4.

Bethesda hegemonic capacity include the flow of information. Our penetration and our review of Fallout last year, achieved by sneaking past their gatekeepers, was one of the few opportunities for a Fan community to breach Bethesda's information barriers. We also know that Bethesda has used other forms of control to limit the flow of information. It strives for good news and favorable reviews. Why? Because the naysayers cut into their profit.

Fair enough. Bethesda has sank a lot of money into Fallout and hopes to make more. Because of its influence and money, as well as the self-interests of the gaming media- its able to curry some very favorable reviews. They can generate hype for their game, creating what is in many ways a new game while relying on the Fallout brand name to draw fans.

Which raises the question- why the Bethesda Forums at all? Because its must satisfy most fan expectations. Because the community provides an opportunity for hype, to dispell the argument that Beth's fan interaction is crap, and to create its own fan community for the future. That said, its not surprising that many of the "hard core" fans initially went to Bethesda's forums and then left. BN, for instance, has been banned from that forum. Other fans were blacklisted for being critical. The Bethesda forums allow Bethesda to control information and repress criticism.

NMA exists basically with an ideological agenda- we celebrate Fallout and the Fallout universe. We make no money at this, we gain nothing for our efforts except the pleasure of helping the fans. Perhaps there is some benefit in terms of prestige and community status, but that and a $1 won't get you subway token in NYC.

What about our future? As long as fans enjoy Fallout 1 and Fallout 2, we'll be around. And we'll still be critical and difficult. While Bethesda may wish to see us gone, frankly they can fuck themselves. I hope that our community will still churn out mods that will draw fans to Fallout, and that the mods will be more expansive and interesting. Killap's mod, for instance, suggests what is possible within our community.

You're point on Spiderman is correct, but sadly Fallout doesn't have quite the fan strength of Spiderman. Whereas Marvel continues to sell spiderman products for return, Fallout as an RPG is about a decade old. Many of the old fans have tired of waiting for a sequel and are willing to make many compromises to see a new Fallout, that is, if they are still waiting. How many will be willing to compromise most of what Fallout was about in order to get "something" like they saw a decade ago?

If Marvel fans were waiting a decade to see Spiderman, what kinds of compromises would they be willing to make?

Edit: @ horst. And if we are to discuss what's actually in the paper, not Fallout specifically, then let me point out that this whole thread has been about information and interpretation. Which is encouraging for me to see. It means that maybe my general conclusions about fan interaction weren't utter crap.

No, they are not. They are, from what I have read, quite insightful.
However, to understand why these interactions exist as they do, a few suggestions-

(1) understanding the causal logic of why Bethesda has followed the policy it has for fan interaction is critical. It seems you are looking at consequences more than cause.

(2) To understand causality, you must understand motivation and preferences- what are the interests between the communities. Then you have consider power and information. What power does the community have in shaping Bethesda's designs. In a sense, this is about compromise and conflict between two communities- each with different types of power and different resources.

(3) comparison case study- you can look at other gaming systems, but to understand fan interaction in the fallout community, you need comparisons with Interplay and BIS.

themilner said:
If Marvel overhauled Spider-man the same way every four years, would they be so lucky? I wonder if isolating their fans will eventually catch up to them, financially speaking.

Two words: clone saga. But beyond Spider-Man, overhauling the entire universe has worked pretty well, in House of M and the Ultimate Universe, and in Infinite Crisis for DC. Really just depends on the level of talent and foresight that go into the overhaul.

Tripped Into The Past

Tripped Into The Past

welsh:
... (3) comparison case study- you can look at other gaming systems, ...

I was looking for the source of a factoid in a dance of information and interpretation, and tripped into my past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategy_&_Tactics

... In addition to the games, the magazine featured many insightful articles on military history, many of them notable for applying modern quantitative analysis to battles that had traditionally been described in a narrative "heroic" style. ...

Yah, I sub'ed to 'S + T' only for the articles, a similar smoke screen one might employ with another periodical with fold outs, 'Playboy'.

Really, the combo of game and history essays was a winner for that insular / isolated information era.
Primary sources cited in the Britannica, *might* come your way through the vagaries of inter library loans.
Had to wait to get an anthropologists writings on The Ghost Dance, or a detailed written tour of the Columbia Exhibition of 18-ninety something.
Racks and racks of (3 x 5) card catalogues.
Got your nostalgia a-rising?

This is the thread relevant snip, wiki author quotes Greg Costikyan:

Perhaps S&T's most important innovation...was its feedback system. Using primitive Burroughs, later IBM, minicomputers, Dunnigan put together a highly sophisticated system to obtain marketing information from his customers. In every issue of the magazine, there was a response card, with 96 numbered blanks. At the back of the magazine were a series of questions, to which a reader could respond by entering a number between 0 and 9 on the blanks of the card. Some questions provided marketing data, e.g., average age of the readership; some were used to provide competitive rankings of SPI's and other publishers' products, charts that S&T's readers pored over when deciding what game to buy next. And some were used to ask the readers what kinds of games they'd like to see. Indeed, every issue provided brief write-ups of game ideas, and SPI would design the games which received the highest ratings.

This kind of market research was astonishing for the field, remains astonishing for the field, would be astonishing in any field. SPI had immediate, timely data telling it precisely what its most valued customers thought. For years, the sales of SPI's games correlated very closely with the feedback results; SPI could predict, with virtual certainty, a game's sales before embarking on its design.

The wiki author tells a tale of the rise and fall of board gaming's -- ah -- intensely formative era.
... When TSR took over SPI, it made a colossal blunder: it refused to honour commitments to these dedicated S&T subscribers. SPI unfortunately had no assets to its name when the takeover occurred, and over 1,000 subscribers had been accorded "life-time" status, meaning that they were entitled to all future issues without any further payment. TSR saved money in the short term, but alienated its best customers.

Greg Costikyan claims that this was the turning point in the wargaming industry; few S&T subscribers renewed, even though the magazine continued to be published (TSR published issues 91 through 111); many also refused to buy any TSR titles due to bitterness over the handling of their subscriptions. ...

The eighties are so forgettable.
Believe I was one of those 'life time' sub'ers. If not, had a year or more bought. Got 1 'free' issue from TSR.
Didn't sub to a game mag until after played 'Wasteland' and 'Mars Saga' on that 8-bit C-64.
Years and years later.

Can assess the 'S+T' story as an incidence of direct player feed back collaborating with the producers.
And to add zest to the interpretive spin, a cautionary message for those that design in a self imposed vacuum.

4too

themilner said:
Hey NMA community-

I'm Ryan M. Milner.
hi there & welcome.

thanks for making us feel like guinea pigs!

i kid, i kid.

themilner said:
I'm glad to see that it's spawned discussion, even if one sentence has caused some controversy.
the thing is, that that same line has been used against us ad nauseum. so many of us get touchy about it if it is mentioned. most of us believe it is used unjustly, since the vast majority of us don't want the exact same Fallout. but there are some dogmas when dealing with FO development. though none of us can agree on the exact terms of those dogmas. :)

but still, FO:Tictacs and FO:PieceOfShit have proven quite a few of those to be worthwhile enough to cling to.

themilner said:
First and foremost, I'd love for anyone who has the time to read through the whole thesis, or at least thumb through it. Briosafreak kindly posted a copy of it on his blog:

http://fallout3.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/thesispdf.pdf
i've downloaded it, but it is still in my reading list.

time, time, time. they say time is money, but sadly money won't buy you any time...
themilner said:
As far as the offending comment, sorry to upset anyone.
we're just quick to react. i don't think you 'upset' anyone. FO fans have grown tough skin over the years. especially the weathered ghouls that are the old timers around here. :P

as you've observed yourself, this community generally does not dwell much on such trivial matters as good manners. ;) no need to be overly apologetic, some might even interpret it as a sign of weakness. :twisted:
themilner said:
I figured I might get some flak if I included it, but I did so because my observations led me to believe that some fans doomed Bethesda from the start (even if rightfully so) and would rather Van Buren or Fan Made Fallout any day than a next-gen game (once again, even if rightfully so).
well, sadly that little sentence was blown out of proportion due to being quoted as such.

after reading the whole thing (now that i had a tiny bit of time), i agree that the comment was not even that relevant to the actual topic, nor was it a halmark of things mentioned in the article.
themilner said:
my conclusions about fan/producer interaction. If you'd like to discuss things further, I'd love to.
i think you might be interested in the history of Troika, after digging through Interplay/BlackIsle.
there are better people to tell that story than me (as i wasn't an active member of the Troika community at the time, something i greatly regret today), but i'm sure you'll find some here on NMA.

not only is Troika's story interesting in term of fan relations, but also in regards of the state of the industry (at the time, and probably still representative today).

lets take pong.

2 paddles on each side. each player having a controller that a paddle. ( fo 1 )

now lets make pong 4 player. 4 paddles, on each side of the screen and now with 2 balls. thats adding to the experience without removing anything. ( fo 2 )

but lets say you want to improve upon it even more. so you take pong back to 2 players, but this time leave the 2 balls, and leave it 4 paddles, each controller doing 2 paddles at a time. ( arcanum )

now lets take this, remove 2 of the excess paddles, remove the 2nd ball, oh and hey, lets be "innovative" and more "immersive" so we will just make the other paddle the player doesnt control, lets just make it fixxed against the whole screen and leave the player with his same paddle. ( fo 3 )

thats my anology to this. probably a poor one but hey, so is fo 3.

TheWesDude said:
now lets take this, remove 2 of the excess paddles, remove the 2nd ball, oh and hey, lets be "innovative" and more "immersive" so we will just make the other paddle the player doesnt control, lets just make it fixxed against the whole screen and leave the player with his same paddle. ( fo 3 )

thats my anology to this. probably a poor one but hey, so is fo 3.
Not a poor one. It could be cut down a little, (as opposed to what we've had to endure), but it's not a bad analogy at all.

themilner said:
But rabid or not, I definitely wouldn't call you assholes.

oh yeah? well fuck YOU!!!

nah, jus' kiddin'. more than "liking your article" i like that you actually devoted time to the situation...primarily because i feel that Fallout symbolizes a certain TYPE of experience rarely found within it's medium.

p.s. fuck YOU!!!!

EDIT: petition to ban "thewesdude" for bringing up fucking Pong. is this Playcircus in disguise?!?

Man, this is great. NMA links to news website, original author comes and comments on NMA.

It's happened already, four(?) times.

Just too freaking awesome. :D

Reading this discussion provoked a thought from me regarding Bethesda's Fallout 3 development attitude that I hadn't thought of before.

I'm thinking that the reason they're sticking to "What they do best" has got very real technological time constraints.
To be precise, they have to get another game out before interest in the current generation of consoles begins to wane and their technology becomes redundant.
Easiest way to ensure this is to develop whatever their next IP was going to be on the existing assets they have.

I'm guessing that even if they had got hold of something like the Star Wars license, we would still have been looking at what essentially amounts to a complicated Oblivion mod. Oblivion with Light Sabres if you will.

Okay, this is essentially a new twist on the old "They're just in it for the money" argument, but I think it serves to bolster that argument.

Final thought: with their obviously low human resources budget and a constricted development period (Fallout 3 is coming out very quickly when compared to other titles), they're working to a very tight deadline. It's no surprise that quality is suffering.

I flew through the article pretty quickly when I first read it, and didn't really catch a negative vibe myself. Mostly it seemed to advocate a better exchange between developer and fan (in general). Its probably too late for that with Fallout 3, but...its an idea anyway. And its from *gasp!* someone other than a rabid fan.

The Sentence of Controversy, if you will, looks to me like an expression of a personal feeling. An impression. 'Part of me thinks ______ but another part wonders _________' strongly indicates self-analysis. In the wake of statements about observations about flame wars in forums, it's an understandable impression just on a base level: a neutral observer is coming into an impassioned discussion that's been boiling over the pot for years.

More disclosure, in and of itself, of Fallout 3, isn't likely to help (though I'd prefer it personally). If they actually wanted to open up the development and improve it off of fan suggestions, comment, and maybe testing, obviously it would help. How about if they did that from the bloody beginning? Were they afraid of 'tainting' their work of art with outside influence? Were they afraid of criticism? Were they afraid of extra work?

If they were, it was well-founded fear. They'd never be able to handle it, would they? In the end the problem isn't what they're doing with it so much as that they even bothered to try and call it a sequel. From the day that people in the forums started doing mock-ups with little Daggerfall(or whatever generation--they're all the same) hands holding guns in them, everyone just knew it was going to be crap. Its Bethesduh.

Honestly, I was optimistic for a long while. But I was wrong. There is no hope. Not even from obi-wan. But I can still understand an outside observer's viewpoint. Preach on, brother, preach on. ^_^

How come Blizzard fans aint up in arms, cuz Diablo 3 wasnt changed into some "Next Gen" game?
Instead it keeps to the core that Diablo 1 and 2 had.. Isometric view, but updated to 3D and zoomable/moveable...

Shouldnt the Diablo fans be screaming for the game to "become" next gen, and like.. Be something totally new?

Everyone tells us Fallout fans, that Fallout has to be next gen and, be some FPS shite, with watered down RPG and full blast mutant slaughtering...

*sighs*

Wow, that was quick. Hasn't been a day since the game was announced and Bethesda's already taking flak because of it.

It should be fun to watch their drones trying to discredit Diablo 3 for not taking the "innovation" route.

Back