Ron Burke answers Fallout 3 questions

GamingTrend said:
they wouldn't put it in a car if it were able to destroy a city block in a case of a malfunction ------ As was said in the official thread, this is closer to the explosion seen in Rambo First Blood Part 2 when he nails the trucks on the bridge with an explosive arrow. We aren't talking Hiroshima here. People are REALLY overreacting to this I think.

I suppose it would be similar... if Rambo lost all his hair and teeth and flopped to the floor in agony due to the radiation.
Or maybe he found a portable fallout shelter too. :roll:

Now I'm sure that I'm not the only person to think about this, but I haven't seen it addressed yet and I have a feeling that you might be able to answer it Mr. Burke:

How exactly will the gameplay and controller mechanics not be fiddly in FO3, since they are part of the same engine as oblivion, that was made by the same devs and produced by the same company for the same platform and then worked over to be compatible with a PC?

As far as I can tell from the various interpretations of the preview and e3 bullshit, it's the exact same control scheme as oblivion with a couple little extras to accomodate the idiotic VATS system and the completely insulting 3rd person camera that was supposed to supplant a real isometric view and make us all shut up for wanting a decent game after 10 friggin years of waiting.

You've seen it, so maybe you could explain how a heavily hybrid FPS game (it's not turn based, and it's barely an RPG no matter how many times you say otherwise.) will even be plausible or enjoyable when it was designed with the incredibly counterintuitive x-box controller in mind and then effectively PORTED to a PC control scheme..

:shock:

GamingTrend said:
they wouldn't put it in a car if it were able to destroy a city block in a case of a malfunction ------ As was said in the official thread, this is closer to the explosion seen in Rambo First Blood Part 2 when he nails the trucks on the bridge with an explosive arrow. We aren't talking Hiroshima here. People are REALLY overreacting to this I think.

The point is, there shoudn't be any residual radiation. Primary fuel for nuclear fusion is deuterium (due to its abundance), which is non-radioactive. There are three fusion reactions involved, two Deuterium+Deuterium reactions (one of them produces Tritium), and third and the most important one (as it yields by far most energy) is a Deuterium+Tritium reaction. Since Tritium needs to be produced in satisfactory quantities (as it is not naturally available), Lithium is added to the primary fuel, in order to capture fast neutrons from D+T reaction and by fission resupply Tritium for D+T reaction.
So, the fuel = deuterium + lithium = non-radioactive
Products = two helium isotopes = non-radioactive
So, no residual radiation. I expect the developers to have at least rudimentary knowledge about nuclear technology, but I've obviously set the bar too high.

GamingTrend said:
Did it appear that after destroying Megaton it would be revisitable some day ------- It looked like the end of days for Megaton, but it was also the end of the demo. We didn't get to see the carnage to see if there was anything left to visit.

Thank you for your timely response, and for visiting us and responding to the questions as per what you saw. I must also say, you have a great deal of patience here :D

janjetina said:
So, no residual radiation.

*Todd reads the post*
"Um...uh...HUH?? F*uck that shit, let's put some more f*cking explosions in!!"

Fusion, indeed, has no radiation, and they were well aware of that in the 50s, most 50s nuclear explosion/radiation/energy-related stories were fission-related.

So yeah, the whole thing just keeps getting dumber and dumber.

I can say that it's minor. And it is. Just like the Monty Python Mr Handy, the RE3 supermutants, the Fatman, the high fuck-frequency, no low-intelligence dialogue...all pretty minor-to-medium things. Together, it's major.

It's one thing to explore, it's another to be so frustrated with not being able to find whatever FedEx item you are supposed to collect that you quit the game. The fact remains that the vast majority of people don't finish the games they buy.
This is just silly. Quest compass prevents people from thinking. Decent map + regular compass + quest log + clear hints where the person/item/whatever is should be enough for everyone who can process information they receive. Even if the player is lazy there probably will be 947383 walkthroughs on the web which (s)he can use...
Oh, wait 'using of google' isn't a popular skill these days.
The lack of such helpers as a quest compass rewards patience and persistence. When you play the game for the 2nd, 3rd or 15th time you'll remember much more of the game layout when you're not guided. Some quests would be completely ruined if the game just pointed you to the next person you have to find (e.g. mystery quests where you have to look for clues). Of course if it's (lack of compass) not accompanied by decent quest info then you're screwed, but it's the devs job to write the dialogue and quest hints so you won't be. And this is how we get to the second point:
you don't want it? Mod it out.
I don't pay my hard-earned money for the game to get a product with defects (from my point of view) that I would have to fix myself. This is the creators job for Christ sake. How many times did you buy a broken freezer just to tinker in it a bit before it was freezing stuff properly? I want my freezer to freeze and games to entertain me without my help.
The fact remains that the vast majority of people don't finish the games they buy.
Who gives a damn? They paid for it, didn't they? Heck, people are buying next-gen consoles just to smash them on a youtube video. It's a free world.

(Arcanum is a good example of a detailed log available)
In Arcanum was sometimes pissing me off that notes were sometimes a bit vague (quest notes) and they weren't categorized (rumors). Scrolling through 50 pgs of writing looking for the stuff you heard long ago is quite tiring.
A perfect log should be like in Arcanum + the possibility of your own notes (if you could make notes on the map it would be even better) + viewable under different categories like: specific regions/people/types of rumor etc. which could be a bit unrealistic in Arcanum, but should be completely OK with a PipBoy thus making a quest compass obsolete.

Exploding cars: Radiation may come from some kind of deformed idea of a 'dirt bomb'. We have some radioactive stuff in the car, it blows up and spreads the radiation around. As you stated fusion doesn't produce radiation so I guess this has no scientific basis, but that could be the idea the devs had.

Finally
Thanks for a great preview Mr. Burke (one of 3-4 good ones from around 40 I read) and answering our questions.

I got one more:) Was the TPP camera following the back of a player ('classic TPP view') or could you just fix it somewhere and scroll with mouse/KB/pad ('RTS like' which would be better and more iso-like for 'purists', If you could rotate it and zoom it would be almost perfect).

janjetina said:
The point is, there shoudn't be any residual radiation. Primary fuel for nuclear fusion is deuterium (due to its abundance), which is non-radioactive. There are three fusion reactions involved, two Deuterium+Deuterium reactions (one of them produces Tritium), and third and the most important one (as it yields by far most energy) is a Deuterium+Tritium reaction. Since Tritium needs to be produced in satisfactory quantities (as it is not naturally available), Lithium is added to the primary fuel, in order to capture fast neutrons from D+T reaction and by fission resupply Tritium for D+T reaction.
So, no residual radiation. I expect the developers to have at least rudimentary knowledge about nuclear technology, but I've obviously set the bar too high.

Except that you can end up with two theoretical sources for radioactivity in a deuterium fusion reaction (especially if the cold-fusion crowd are to be believed), the first being tritium (although its only a beta source, it would be potentially dangerous if you inhaled it in a aerosol, say, from an explosion). The second is gamma from helium production. The potential doses would be small, and wouldn't cause the effects detailed in the previews, though. (Although it might marginally increase your risk of developing cancer over a lifetime - perhaps they should implement that; 'You have developed prostate cancer, and can no longer urinate...' - Cured by toilet water?).

Does pulp sci-fi have to be realistic and consistent with science, really? I know full well that atom bombs aren't going to turn me green and give me superpowers, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the Hulk... Making a shit film, with crappy effects, a piss-poor plot, wretched visual design, and a script apparently written by someone unfamiliar with the concept of entertainment did that. I'm willing to forgive most of the junk science - I spend a lot of time doing that anyway, as as scientist who loves sci-fi - as long as there is some kind of self-consistent, plausible, internal logic, and the rest of thing is good.

I'm much more concerned about the fact that exploding cars might be overused or too obviously implemented, and that the Fatman might just be cheesy, shit, and have no reason to exist. Bad science should be the least of our worries.

I managed to "insert" myself *wink*wink* *nudge*nudge* into the Bethsoft offices. Through some "negotiation" I got the reference material that Bethesda uses for nuclear materials:

abombtk7.jpg

Bernard Bumner said:
Does pulp sci-fi have to be realistic and consistent with science, really? I know full well that atom bombs aren't going to turn me green and give me superpowers, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the Hulk... Making a shit film, with crappy effects, a piss-poor plot, wretched visual design, and a script apparently written by someone unfamiliar with the concept of entertainment did that. I'm willing to forgive most of the junk science - I spend a lot of time doing that anyway, as as scientist who loves sci-fi - as long as there is some kind of self-consistent, plausible, internal logic, and the rest of thing is good.
In Fallout radiation makes people rot alive and live very long

janjetina said:
GamingTrend said:

You say this as if the science in the other fallout games was pretty damned realistic....

xdarkyrex said:
You say this as if the science in the other fallout games was pretty damned realistic....

It wasn't so bloody silly either. Yes you had big green men being produced by some handwavium goo and lasers and all that, but it all made a kind of strange, self-consistent sense.
Bethesda's "science" not only violates science. It violates Science! too.

Vault 69er said:
xdarkyrex said:

It wasn't so bloody silly either. Yes you had big green men being produced by some handwavium goo and lasers and all that, but it all made a kind of strange, self-consistent sense.
Bethesda's "science" not only violates science. It violates Science! too.

Self sustaining fusion reactions make no sense? :|

Or do you mean them exploding and spreading radiation?

Considering that in the modern world, self-sustaining fusion isn't all that realistic anyways, I hardly assume that whatever science the fallout world came up with to make it work could produce an explosion, because it obviously doesn't use an element or technolgoy that we currently know of.

xdarkyrex said:

The exploding makes no sense at all. It makes no sense now and it made no sense in the 50s.

Considering that in the modern world, self-sustaining fusion isn't all that realistic anyways, I hardly assume that whatever science the fallout world came up with to make it work could produce an explosion, because it obviously doesn't use an element or technolgoy that we currently know of.

I gather one of the reasons fusion still eludes us is because it's so stable. It's far far easier to get a reaction with fission. Like I said earlier, even hydrogen bombs need fission triggers. They knew that in the 50's, too.

Vault 69er said:
xdarkyrex said:

The exploding makes no sense at all. It makes no sense now and it made no sense in the 50s.

I gather one of the reasons fusion still eludes us is because it's so stable. It's far far easier to get a reaction with fission. Like I said earlier, even hydrogen bombs need fission triggers. They knew that in the 50's, too.

But with a self sustaining reaction, you don't need a 'trigger'. It's self sustaining.

Vault 69er said:
xdarkyrex said:
But with a self sustaining reaction, you don't need a 'trigger'. It's self sustaining.

To make it explode you do.

Like I said, we don't understand the technology.

Maybe it has something in it that, if it gets hit, can set the whole thing off in a chain reaction.

*shrug*

That doesn't seem any more far fetched than the idea of self-sustaining nuclear fusion at all.

xdarkyrex said:
That doesn't seem any more far fetched than the idea of self-sustaining nuclear fusion at all.

Simply because we don't know the exact mechanics of it yet doesn't mean we should toss all sensibility out the window.
H.G. Wells wrote a fairly accurate description of war waged with atomic bombs long before they were truly developed.

Besides, it's already established that fusion technology in Fallout does not explode when shot. If it did, then every single battle involving Power Armour or fusion cell powered rayguns would turn into ground zero.

Back