Fallout 2 mod RPU - Talking Heads Addon

The latter gives specific armored talking heads to companions that use armors. It best goes with the companion armor mod, which is included in RPU, which changes the sprite of companions when they wear different armors. In vanilla, you give a leather armor to Vic for example, and he looks the same. With the companion armor, his sprite changes so he looks like he's wearing leather armor. With Armored Talking heads, he'll have a talking head that wears leather armor as well.

Meanwhile Talking Heads mod gives talking heads to characters that originally don't have one, quite a few of them actually.
Thank you for the explanation.

Forgive me for the necro, but I was just wondering-- what methods do you use to accurately imitate the late-nineties "crustiness" in these Talking Heads? I can obviously tell some of these are DAZ Studio, but I'm not sure how you get that... "rounded" look to the lighting, I don't even know how to describe it and I've been working in 3D for years. I don't want to usurp your mod or anything, I've just been wanting to replicate it for tabletop roleplay tokens and have no idea where to start with capturing it.

Forgive me for the necro, but I was just wondering-- what methods do you use to accurately imitate the late-nineties "crustiness" in these Talking Heads? I can obviously tell some of these are DAZ Studio, but I'm not sure how you get that... "rounded" look to the lighting, I don't even know how to describe it and I've been working in 3D for years. I don't want to usurp your mod or anything, I've just been wanting to replicate it for tabletop roleplay tokens and have no idea where to start with capturing it.

No trouble at all, I'd love to see more talking head mods!

First I try to render the model frames with dark contrasting shadows, then with Photoshop I increase the exposure and gamma.

After that I convert the image to "indexed colour" and use the Fallout 2 pallette file - you should be able to find it on this website.
When converting I also make sure the dithering is set to a high percentage to give it that 90s(ish) look

No trouble at all, I'd love to see more talking head mods!

First I try to render the model frames with dark contrasting shadows, then with Photoshop I increase the exposure and gamma.

After that I convert the image to "indexed colour" and use the Fallout 2 pallette file - you should be able to find it on this website.
When converting I also make sure the dithering is set to a high percentage to give it that 90s(ish) look

Much appreciated! I'll be sure to give this method a shot.

Hello, guys! Is there anyone know who she is?

Attachments

• 7edf05f41bd5ad6ec1c6ee21c4cb39dbb7fd3c06.jpg
    7edf05f41bd5ad6ec1c6ee21c4cb39dbb7fd3c06.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 116
i think it makes game really better. mostly it nails the characters but it feels like playing fallout for the first time nevertheless. the only thing i'd change is the anna's ghost of den. looks like she blew her head with a shotgun. i'd rather do a transparent girl with a default background cause she wouldn't be wandering anywhere else than the house ruins. i wish the mod was already done and the same for fallout 1997. my favorite characters are the ghouls so far. skeeter is really dope
/edit: typos

Last edited:
Looking forward to playing through this when I have time. A 'first time' feeling again? Count me in.

My only constructive feedback for what I have seen so far would be the size/position of the heads. I think they should be very much uniform in size and position, centered mostly. This makes them fall in line with the style established in Fallout 1 and 2 itself.

The heads I have seen look spot on though, in terms of design, shading, etc.

Hello, guys! Is there anyone know who she is?
i think it's ceri or another npc from https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout2/mods/70

Looking forward to playing through this when I have time. A 'first time' feeling again? Count me in.
not everything got implemented so far. i'm not sure if there's a talking head for every character planned or if there are 'supporting roles' with no talking heads. i think most of the ones i've seen so far have had no voice. overall, the acting is good compared to professional actors, and some talking heads are even better than the original ones (e.g. loxley had no facial expressions at all in the first fallout). it's a pity (or, as the polish say, the sorrow squeezes my ass) that it takes so much time. i would like both fallouts with the talking heads mod. if i were richer, i could invest say 10k bucks in it (although i don't know what difference it would make). a few additional mods make this game playable to this day. although personally i would add my reservations about all these restorations, mainly about the fluidity of the plot and the credibility of the game. the mechanics themselves will always be archaic, although significant progress has been made with sfall

i think it's ceri or another npc from https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout2/mods/70

not everything got implemented so far. i'm not sure if there's a talking head for every character planned or if there are 'supporting roles' with no talking heads. i think most of the ones i've seen so far have had no voice. overall, the acting is good compared to professional actors, and some talking heads are even better than the original ones (e.g. loxley had no facial expressions at all in the first fallout). it's a pity (or, as the polish say, the sorrow squeezes my ass) that it takes so much time. i would like both fallouts with the talking heads mod. if i were richer, i could invest say 10k bucks in it (although i don't know what difference it would make). a few additional mods make this game playable to this day. although personally i would add my reservations about all these restorations, mainly about the fluidity of the plot and the credibility of the game. the mechanics themselves will always be archaic, although significant progress has been made with sfall

If the work is totally unpaid, and done in their free time, You should be glad it's done at all.. and shove the sorrow deeper down you know where ;p Besides It's not like they work ona deadline.. it's stuff they do as a hobby and totally as volounteers..

If the work is totally unpaid, and done in their free time, You should be glad it's done at all.. and shove the sorrow deeper down you know where ;p Besides It's not like they work ona deadline.. it's stuff they do as a hobby and totally as volounteers..
i mean idk what 10k dollars would change for example as it wouldn't make anyone hire 100 actors or additional designers lol your explanation is unnecessary

not everything got implemented so far. i'm not sure if there's a talking head for every character planned or if there are 'supporting roles' with no talking heads. i think most of the ones i've seen so far have had no voice. overall, the acting is good compared to professional actors, and some talking heads are even better than the original ones (e.g. loxley had no facial expressions at all in the first fallout). it's a pity (or, as the polish say, the sorrow squeezes my ass) that it takes so much time. i would like both fallouts with the talking heads mod. if i were richer, i could invest say 10k bucks in it (although i don't know what difference it would make).

Thank you for the kind words Cosa Nostra!

Aside from the voices I'd say most NPCs have a talking head only very few minor characters lack them.
I'd love to work on Fallout 1 as well but I just don't have time anymore as I'm mostly busy doing art commissions these days (on my little time off).

Oh, and 10k would totally make a difference :lol::lol::lol:

Thank you for the kind words Cosa Nostra!

Aside from the voices I'd say most NPCs have a talking head only very few minor characters lack them.
I'd love to work on Fallout 1 as well but I just don't have time anymore as I'm mostly busy doing art commissions these days (on my little time off).

Oh, and 10k would totally make a difference :lol::lol::lol:
idk if i have right upload but it is THAT file so i guess i do heh. i once discussed it on your discord and fallout 1997 has much less characters so...

Back