Should I play these?

I hated BG too - that game is inherently flawed - it has nice graphics and sound, nice characters and nice atmosphere, but they managed to fuck up the game mechanics, didn't add any non-combat/thief proficiences, dialogues don't have character skill/stat checks, character with high int and wis got overtalked by almost everyone in BG2, character development was very bland and boring, etc., etc., etc.

Generally, from the mechanic side of view it was a failure - Player's Option: Combat & Tactics would be more suitable for a computer game as it has a shorter turn duration which wouldn't require the moronic 6 seconds = one minute compression, it has richer rules that allow to do something more than just order the fighter character to attack the target and sit back and watch, not to mention things from other add-ons like talents, non-weapon proficiences, etc. that could lift the character development closer to the level of Fallout.

Not to mention the general sloppiness in implementation of rules, resulting in things like homing arrows, getting paralysed/poisoned/burned/etc. from when a mirror image of character is hit, mirror image spell protecting from area spells, like fireball, etc., etc., etc.

Yeah, ironically, you get that in icewind dale 2, which is an utterly vapid hack and slash, they included it statistically and almost never actually let you use it since dialogue was so non-important in that game.

The skill rules that existed in AD&D and AD&D 2nd Edition were optional and bad and none of the other lines of D&D games before BG had bothered to make use of them.

I lost all interest in BG for some reason. I'm at friendly arms inn or something, does it get better or is this pretty much it?

i hate how little interaction there is between party members. Do they stay with you until they're dead or can you just tell them to piss off? Can you talk to them at all?

maximaz said:
I lost all interest in BG for some reason. I'm at friendly arms inn or something, does it get better or is this pretty much it?

Depends on what you mean by "better". You're just at the beginning so there's a lot of stuff to do and new things to discover. There won't be a new engine popping up or anything though.

maximaz said:
i hate how little interaction there is between party members. Do they stay with you until they're dead or can you just tell them to piss off? Can you talk to them at all?

You can tell them to piss off by using the "reform party" option. You can't talk to them directly, but they may talk to each other depending on who you've got in your party. At the time this was pretty much the most advanced party interaction the world had ever seen. What are you using for a benchmark here?

To be honest I get bored with beginning of BG1 and just move to BG2 usually adding the points you would get from tomes to the char with editor. BG2 has somewhat open start after 1st dungeon.

As for UFO the 1st 2 are the best, but if you get your hands on Apocalypse get it. It has a nice combat system and the way environment falls apart after grand battle is nice ,otherwise its meh.

maximaz said:
One important thing I wanted to ask: does the full FOT game have a more fallouty atmosphere? It didn't even smell like it in the demo but who knows. How is character interaction and is there any fallout feel to the game?

Hello,

Heh guess I am one of the people on this board who does actually like this game.
I found it quite entertaining and spend hours well into the night to finish it.

Regarding 'Fallout' atmosphere in Fallout, that is quite a tricky one because it depends on what you all consider Fallout.
Unlike others I did like the Robot Invasion scenario and I think it can be placed within Fallout context.
Unfortunate there are a few things in the game that make it incompatible with Fallout 1 and 2 despite having elements of them.

Well if you mean regarding the 'feel' in the game, if I have to be honest; no.

TDG said:
Regarding 'Fallout' atmosphere in Fallout, that is quite a tricky one because it depends on what you all consider Fallout.

You know, it isn't really up to discussion.

Not tricky. Fallout is a benchmark to which all other Fallout titles are compared, comprende?

Mikael Grizzly said:
Not tricky. Fallout is a benchmark to which all other Fallout titles are compared, comprende?

Well from that standpoint, then well definitely no.
Fallout Tactics doesn't feel like Fallout.

One more popped to mind - Deus Ex
I rented it on PS2 and it was horrible. I couldn't play it for more than 20 mins it was absolutely shite. I keep hearing about this game though. Yes or no?

Also, Bloodlines. Haven't played it, keep hearing about it.

Ummm... Deus Ex on PS2....... and your wondering why it's shit?....ummm

Either go get a PC copy, or go kill yourself.

Dopemine Cleric said:
Ummm... Deus Ex on PS2....... and your wondering why it's shit?....ummm

Either go get a PC copy, or go kill yourself.

That was really helpful. If you don't have an actual answer, please...

Back