Star Citizen: The Space Sim you've been waiting for

Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Chris Roberts (AKA 'That guy who worked on Freelancer and Wing Commander') has surpassed Peter Molyneux in ambition with the announcement of his new game, Star Citizen.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/51135962?title=0&amp;byline=0" width="550" height="375" frameborder="0"></iframe>

-Can play the campaign Offline/Online/Coop before joining the main server/universe or you can join a privately hosted server (Like Freelancer) with mod support.
-Constantly evolving sandbox universe shaped by player actions.
-Player driven dynamic economy.
-CryEngine 3 to ensure that no, you will not be able to run it at launch.
-Fifty thousand other features, read the website already.

Oh, and he's trying to crowdfund it without Kickstarter, with the goal being $2-4 million raised in 30 days.

Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude said:
-CryEngine 3 to ensure that no, you will not be able to run it at launch.

francis-urquhart.png

GM still remembers the time those Cryris devs cried like weenies because nobody played their game because nobody could play their game and blamed it on people for being poor.

I'm not sure if you're actually looking forward to this or are calling it the next Fable.

Anyways, I'm thinking about kicking in $30. It certainly sounds awesome. Whether or not it can actually be delivered anywhere near as awesome as promised, though...

Oh I'm looking forward to it, it's exactly the game I've been wanting for years. Do I think it has a chance in hell of ending up with even half of the features promised? Fuck no.

I wasted quite a few hours on Freelancer. Sure why not? I'll bite the hook. Besides, X was starting to get a little dull for me.

I am interested in donating but I find it annoying that any physical version of the map and the art book will set me back a 125 Euros.

I'll buy it, but I won't pay up front. Reading the features he has planned and the ambitions he has it has Battlecruiser 3000AD written all over it.

The tech demo he has running looks like he already spent a million+ just on what is already built. It would be a damn shame if this never sees the light of day.

This is the type of game Egosoft should be making. X is an impressive series but the lack of interesting missions / multiplayer makes the universe lonely as hell.

I've FOREVER DREAMED of an MMO with ships instead of warriors, parts instead of gear, and a universe of open space instead of vast wilderness.

I'll put some money in.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

If this ends up seeing the light of day and actually delivering on what it promises, I'm going to have to try it out, but I'm a little too wary of it turning out to be a prettied-up EVE Online with twitchier combat to put down money before then. None of the reasonable-tier goodies look all that enticing to me anyway, really.

The Vault Dweller said:
I've FOREVER DREAMED of an MMO with ships instead of warriors, parts instead of gear, and a universe of open space instead of vast wilderness.

You should check out EVE. You don't get a Wing Commander-style first person perspective or CryEngine graphics, but almost everything else these guys are shooting for, EVE Online has already delivered, and they've been at it since 2003. Doesn't boast multiple distinct server worlds, either-- just one big game universe for all the players. Make a big enough splash, and everyone will know your name.

Is it just me or did the main website go down again? (Backup site is still live.)

Right when I'd made up my mind to kick in $30 and was going through the Paypal screens...

*edit* Nevermind, main site is back up.

If you haven't been able to donate due to the frequent crashing of the main site (or for whatever other reason), they just put up a Kickstarter page to collect additional pledges.

Also, if you were dreading paying $5 international shipping for the "Citizen Card" reward included in every tier, they have an all-digital tier on the Kickstarter page, with plans to add additional all-digital tiers later.

Myself, I already pledged on the main site, but kicked in an extra $5 on the Kickstarter.

Got the Digital Scout for the Game/Alpha/Beta on Kickstarter before it sold out. No way in hell I'll be able to run this, but I've got two years to upgrade and something to look forward to.

UniversalWolf said:
Simulated Newtonian physics? That sounds good. I really hope this works out.

You should check out Evochron Mercenary.

Thanks Phil, now I must invest in a shitload of upgrades when this is released. :D

I have been looking forward to something like this since I could remember. I would send money flying this way if I weren't getting married and working my way to my own house.

Looks neat. Sounds neat. But I don't have it in me to play a MMO right now. I'm glad he's 2/3rds of the way to his goal, though.

Fuckin' Eve Online. I love sophistication, but sometimes I feel like certain games *cough*MoO3*cough* are more like intellectual chores. Eve fell into that category for me. Regardless, as Yamu had mentioned, you might want to take a look at it VD.

Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude said:
Evochron Mercenary.

Man, I loved that game for 2 weeks. Dog fights were so much fun at the beginning of the game. Then as you branch out people start using the super expensive 1-shot missiles. I always wondered how people had so much money until I started warping all over the place, just to find out some systems had wonky pricing schemes. This allowed people to literally make 200% returns on items you bought from one station and sold at another.
Great combat, terrible economy. That was the most easily exploitable game I've seen in quite a while.

And counting. I doubt it'll hit 6 million, but possibly over 5.5. Still over 12 hours left.

Back