Starfield

Are you going to be a Bethesdafag?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • No.

Votes: 34 59.6%
  • I am a hypocrite.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I like to whine a lot about things I am the reason for sucking.

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters
Watched a review recently that went in-depth into all the shit they removed from the game.

There's a portion in the video that shows an interview Todd where he talks about having stuff like needing space suits for specific planets, health conditions that you needed to treat or else you would get major penalties. But apparently after a while Todd and his buddies thought it was not "fun" and decided to basically gut the entire thing and leave a little bit of it for "flavor". At that point he should have just turned to camera and say "yeah, we make games for idiots". Fuel was also gonna be a thing (mentioned in a post above), but that also cut because Todd thought it was not "fun".

Can i say how fucking condescending it is to assume what people will find fun? Yeah, you might not find it fun, but many others might find it fun. You are selling a product, not making a game for yourself.
To be fair, is anyone here convinced Bethesda of all companies could pull of fun and engaging complex mechanics?
The last time they tried pulling that off was Oblivion, which was great in many areas but god damn the levelling system was just plain BACKWARDS.

which was great in many areas but god damn the levelling system was just plain BACKWARDS.
I'd argue Oblivion had much worse things than its shitty level scaling.

In fact, i'd argue Oblviion is complete crap and it's just really patient zero for all the bad design choices Bethesda decided to embrace in its quest to dumb down its games for a wider audience. Morrowind was the actual last game where they actually tried to make an actual RPG, and not slop made for casuals.

I'd argue Oblivion had much worse things than its shitty level scaling.

In fact, i'd argue Oblviion is complete crap and it's just really patient zero for all the bad design choices Bethesda decided to embrace in its quest to dumb down its games for a wider audience. Morrowind was the actual last game where they actually tried to make an actual RPG, and not slop made for casuals.
The Oblivion Quests are really shallow, but it's melee system is far more advanced than any other Bethesda title. Positioning, range of the weapon you're using and stamina usage all matter a lot more than any of Bethesda title.
Also magic was in a good position, not 'soultrap on floor to infinite duration' levels of broken, but also not 'no spell making lmao' levels of shite.

but it's melee system is far more advanced than any other Bethesda title. Positioning, range of the weapon you're using and stamina usage all matter a lot more than any of Bethesda title.
Melee combat was far worse than Morrowind's, there where you swiped your mouse mattered, you had different damage types and you also had way more weapon variety. None of what you said mattered (stamina management, motherfucking lmao), Oblivion's melee combat is button mashing nonsense where the character that has the more health and more damage always wins. Not to mention blocking with a dagger and somehow causing the opponent with a two handed mace to stagger, absolute nonsense.

Also magic was in a good position, not 'soultrap on floor to infinite duration' levels of broken, but also not 'no spell making lmao' levels of shite.
The magic system of Oblivion is absolute shite. There's next to no visual difference between the elemental spells, and you don't get to do any of the cool shit you could do in Morrowind. It's a bland, souless, absolutely useless magic system. For how bad Skyrim is, at least it had visual variety in its spells and you could do magic with two hands for different effects.

Morrowind has better melee combat and definitely far better magic system. Oblivion did anything its power to dumb down both of them to its bare minimum, obviously to their detriment.

Edit: And for all of Starfield's problems, the gunplay is far more functional than Oblivion's gameplay. It's not great because the enemy variety and AI is garbage, but it at least works on a basic level. Oblivion's gameplay by comparison is absolute garbage, some of the worst melee combat ever put in a video game.

Last edited:
Melee combat was far worse than Morrowind's, there where you swiped your mouse mattered, you had different damage types
This is not true. All non-enchanted weapons share the same damage type. And as much as I enjoy the three different types of attacks, the only difference they make is damage output. There’s no reason to not check “Always Use Best Attack” in the options menu.

All non-enchanted weapons share the same damage type.
I didn't said otherwise. Also, certain weapons are better at specific basic attacks, like Axes being better at chopping for example. Oblivion has none of this, in fact there's no difference between the melee weapons in Oblivion, they all function the same.

Morrowind is also the last game where the gameplay didn't devolved into stealth archer. Because Oblivion was the first to make this playstyle the best, and it got even worse in Skyrim.

Last edited:
Booted up the game again and went to Neon. My God... if you have not seen the nightclub in there, you don't know what pathetic looks like. Mass Effect (2007 game) had a way better looking nightclub.

I'm so confused how such a massive developer with every resource available can take 10 years or more (using their old engine that they should know like the back of their hand) to make a game that borrows so much from their older games and STILL come up with something this jank.

Bugs aside, everything feels like it was done last minute. I keep getting that impression after every mission (Red Mile...)

Booted up the game again and went to Neon. My God... if you have not seen the nightclub in there, you don't know what pathetic looks like. Mass Effect (2007 game) had a way better looking nightclub.

I'm so confused how such a massive developer with every resource available can take 10 years or more (using their old engine that they should know like the back of their hand) to make a game that borrows so much from their older games and STILL come up with something this jank.

Bugs aside, everything feels like it was done last minute. I keep getting that impression after every mission (Red Mile...)
It truly is a marvel to behold innit? :)

Mass Effect 1 was so cool man. Last time I got completely invested in a new setting/IP/etc. It wasn't without it's faults but it actually felt like a good balance of an rpg and GoW 3rd person shooter. Shame about what happened to bioware.

Suddenly i remembered that this game was a thing and wondered what has been happening to it in recent times. According to my research it's apparently getting very slowly updated and it's eventually getting an expansion. Oh, they literally sold a single quest for like 8 bucks after the first quest in the same quest chain was given for free.

It's hilarious just how ridiculously fast this game disappeared from people's minds given how overhyped it was, it lasted maybe two months before people just moved on for other things.

It's honestly kind of bittersweet, i expected it to be a colossal disaster that would keep giving entertainment for a long while, but it was such a boring, souless game with nothing interesting of note that it couldn't even deliver in the trainwreck department. I guess this game is the example anyone can use that mods carried Bethesda games since 2006.

Last edited:
Back