Fallout 2 mod Status on Mutant Rising?

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by qfasinsky, Jan 28, 2016.

1. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Carbon Dated and Proud
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    I just tinker around with modding because it's an enjoyable hobby. My skill level is pretty basic...I know a little about art, and like making Fallout maps. I'll be a happy man when Mutants Rising is finally finished and people get a chance to play it.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 4
  2. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Precious Fluids of The Order Staff Member Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    Is Skye (I think there name is) still working on it with you?

3. .Pixote.

Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    Yes, here's his website for anyone interested - http://www.skyesken.org/pro_mr.html

Skye has done some very nice illustrations for MR, as well as writing a good portion of the dialogue, very talented IMO.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  4. -Ghoster-

-Ghoster- First time out of the vault

Jan 4, 2020
    Now, I wonder if the map of Mutants Rising spreads all the way from the west coast to the east coast? I remember Dayglow being a location in one of the earlier drafts and thenI saw you talk about one of the maps being set in New York.

5. ironmask

ironmask Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Mar 10, 2018
    It doesn't. Mutants rising only takes place in Nevada.

6. .Pixote.

Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    I don't think so...the main character will travel widely, the map is as large as F2's, there will be some interstate travel between California and Nevada.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  7. 25_year_old_None

25_year_old_None First time out of the vault

Jan 27, 2020
    I don't know anything about modding, but I can fix animations if you guide me with the proper software (I have a master degree in art and am good with After Effects and Photoshop). I can also test/proofread text and give inputs about dialogs.

I have lots more time with the almost total isolation we're at now...

8. Vic Vos

Vic Vos First time out of the vault

Mar 25, 2020
    Real glad to hear MR is still kicking! Hope it gets finally finished one day. :boy:

9. .Pixote.

Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    I'm taking a little break from it for now, but I will get back into it soon. I have just one map to rework, one map, yet I'm reluctant to finish it...strange!

• [Rad] [Rad] x 6
  10. ironmask

Mar 10, 2018
    Surely working a mod for years can do that. Even if you are close to finish.

11. ironmask

Mar 10, 2018
    Hey .pixote. I have been wanting to ask you this but how do you make maps? I mean like how do you plan them? Do you make it up as you go along or do you plan it, like make out on a piece of paper first before mapping. Like how DnD players draw dungeons.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm planning on getting into fallout 2 modding.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  12. .Pixote.

Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    Good question...I need to understand the story of a particular location before I start mapping. Understanding the quests and needs of the characters help with the planning. One place in MR was modeled on a New York apartment feel, I just wanted to see if it was possible to make something like that. The engine limits the elevations to only 3 levels, and I want to maintain the outside view with each elevation, which adds more complexity.

Ardent (main designer) often comes up with a town layout, which I use to build a map from, but often a top down paper design doesn't work as well when mapped in a isometric view. So things get shifted around and adjusted to get the balance right. I treat every map like a painting, and add and remove stuff overtime to get the right feel for a location, too much stuff looks messy and too little looks boring, so getting the balance is tricky. Often I'll build a location and then come back later and re-edit it...I've spent months editing previous maps, often removing unnecessary junk just to make the maps flow better. Knowing the purpose of a location is critical.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 5
  13. ironmask

Mar 10, 2018
    Thanks .pixote. This good advice. If I ever do decide to start modding I remember what you said.