The Amazing Screw On Head

Bradylama

So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
http://www.scifi.com/amazingscrewonhead/

This is pretty much the best thing that could come to television in 2006. A Lovecraftian steampunk adventure made by Mike Mignola, the creator of Hellboy.

The pilot is a good 21 minutes, and is absolutely hilarious. The video link on the right side of the page seems to be of a higher quality than the one on the left, which looks abysmal.

I found the humor to be rather uneven. There is a certain line where it reaches the point of stupidity rather than humor, and that will be different for everyone. Even tongue-in-cheek, I found the monkey minion a too bit much to be funny. However, I loved what the ancient evil entity had to say.

Overall, a thumbs up, and things are bound to improve if the series is picked up.

Bradylama said:
I believe it's called tongue-in-cheek.

No, it's called 'a failed attempt at tounge-in-cheek'. Face it, Americans have never achieved the same level of mastery in tongue-in-cheeck humour as they have achieved in scatoresque humour. The jokes in this pilot were, simply, stupid. It might've been considered as 'brilliant' twenty years ago, but nowadays this shit is old.

How good of you to determine what would've been great 20 years ago at a time when you could barely keep from shitting yourself.

Maybe this is a genetic issue? I suppose certain wires had to have been crossed when you think something as awesome as Emperor Zombie comes off as stupid.

I realize this whole Steampunk thing has already been done by Alan Moore, but calling The Amazing Screw on Head old hat seems a bit extreme.

Also, please define scatoresque. Do you mean like a random non-sensical humor, or potty jokes?

No need to tear on the man, Bradylama, he's right. The humour is pretty good, but pretty uneven too, it kind of rolls back and forth between funny, predictable, and just plain old stupid.

Pretty good, tho', overall.

I like it. I don't find it funny at all, though. But it's well-made and the ideas behind it are pretty good.

It does feel a bit awkward at times, though the episode is just a pilot.

The Venture Brothers pilot episode was also pretty lacking in comparison to its series, but has a lot of similarities with The Amazing Screw on Head in that it combines fictional genres into an adventure-oriented experience.

The Venture Brothers, though, bills itself as a comedy as opposed to being an adventure story with comedic elements.

It's nothing concrete, but I think the same situation might happen with The Amazing Screw on Head if it's produced.

alec said:
I like it. I don't find it funny at all, though. But it's well-made and the ideas behind it are pretty good.

The setting is pretty nifty. Nice steampunk, nice atmosphere, well executed. The way the setting clashes with the humour is nice enough.

Bradylama said:
Also, please define scatoresque. Do you mean like a random non-sensical humor, or potty jokes?

Scatoresque = 'juicy' jokes. Litterally, it's something like 'Shit Humour', but it applies to all... 'American Pie' sorts of humour. Blatantly obvious jokes, where the 'shock' is to supply the point of humour.

As opposed to the Pythonesque 'toungue-in-cheeck' 'silly' humour. This pilot obviously makes an attempt at capturing this type of humour, but the influence of mainsteam American comedy is evident in the obvious failure of this show to keep... y'know... The toungue in the cheeck.
It seems to be stuck in the same type of 'toungue in cheeck' as the Flying Circus itself, disregarding the fine-tuning of the genre that was done with shows like Allo Allo, Smack the Pony, etc. Or, as I said, this shit is old. I'd be fairly suprised if it made anyone familiar to the genre really laugh out loud.

DirtyDreamDesigner said:
David Hyde Pierce is awesome in everything. He really should get bigger roles.
If by roles you mean cocks in his mouth, then yes.

And if by rolls you mean rolls in movies, then also yes.

Loved it. It is however, as mentioned, only a pilot and as such has the potential to become something even better.

Back