The future of Fallout - IGN Interview with Todd Howard

The_Proletarian

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Staff member
Admin

IGN recently did one of their unfiltered interviews with Bethesda director Todd Howard. The review is mostly about the 10 year anniversary of Skyrim however future games got mentioned as well and even Fallout got touched upon. It's a nice interview in the regard that they focus on strengths not flaws, praise not criticisms.

They talk about how in the past Bethesda has alternate between an Elder Scrolls game, then a Fallout game and the Elder Scrolls again and so on. Ryan McCaffrey asks what will happen to the next Fallout now that Bethesda are committed to first Starfield which is due out in November 2022 and then for their next project they have already committed to Elder Scrolls VI which will be some years after that. The gap between Fallout 4 and the next will be huge if you don't count Fallout 76.

McCaffery asks if Fallout will go to the back of the line or if another studio, within the "Microsoft family", like InXile or Obsidian could handle the next Fallout, to which Todd replies that Fallout is very much in Bethesdas DNA now and that even though they have worked with other studios in the past he can't say what will happen in that regard. Then Todd says that they already have a one-pager on Fallout 5 that details what they want to do. He then continues and says that even though he would like to accelerate their game development process he can't say what will happen after Elder Scrolls VI. They still work on one project at a time and their focus is still on single player RPG:s.

Last edited:
Fallout can't be in their DNA because they don't make anything resembling a Fallout game. :shrug:
Exactly. They clearly showed with both Fallout 4 and 76 that they didn't learn a thing from what Obsidian did with New Vegas.

Not really a surprising response. I'm wondering what the next one will be like. An even bigger world with less interesting stuff to do and even more simplified mechanics.

As their progression goes, worlds they build get smaller and smaller, with less simulation and more scripting.
And when they try to simulate , it ends up broken as Radiant AI.

Oh, sorry, haven't touched it, have a thing against MMOs.
I guess you are right, it has to be bigger.
But the rest was even more pronounced, since modding scene didn't fix their game this time - they were on other side of trenches.

Last edited:
Fallout can't be in their DNA because they don't make anything resembling a Fallout game. :shrug:

If Fallout was an human being, this what Beth DNA would looks like.

THE-THING-900x382.jpg

If Fallout was an human being, this what Beth DNA would looks like.

THE-THING-900x382.jpg
Well, The Thing is actually a perfect organism which can reorganize itself as it pleases and go back into blending in.

A better example of DNA would probably be this:
90f092d0e8b902b33f58258f17d5067f63573502_hq.jpg

I'm thinking that Todd is gonna retire after Elder Scrolls VI, wouldn't it be wacky if the game director for the next Fallout was none other than world-renowned Emil Pagliarulo?

Did people expected Bethesda to loosen its grip on the Fallout brand to let anyone else work on it? Even after the Microsoft buyout? Obsidian working on New Vegas is an exception to the rule, and that didn't stopped Bethesda from reigning in stuff Obdsidian what do in New Vegas because Bethesda wanted to leave that stuff for future games.

I won't be surprised - or upset - if I'm dead before another Fallout game gets released.
They just announced yet another version of Skyrim, where you can pay for features that have already been available as mods for many years.

Fallout needs to branch out into other genres. Something like X-COM or Crusader Kings. RTS is obvious due to Fallout EXTREME (god I am glad that failed) but they would need to do the factions right narratively to make it worth doing. I own 76 through family sharing but I just can't force myself to install it after seeing the Skyrim dragon flying around.

Tbh I always thought that the actual map of F76 looked pretty cool and would probably be cool to explore once. The rest of the game really didn't appeal to me and their obvious rushing of the devs to get it out before it was ready didn't make it any more appealing.

I found it really funny when Todd tried to brush it off as a learning experience. Although that's what he's there for and Todd does what Todd does.

So the butchering of the franchise continues. No Fallout spin off by Obsidian, just more brain dead: "kill, loot, return".

For fucks sake, it's easier to make your own Fallout than convincing bugthesda that they should never touch it again.

I am not surprised, but Todd and his cronies can go to hell as far as I am concerned.

Tbh I always thought that the actual map of F76 looked pretty cool and would probably be cool to explore once. The rest of the game really didn't appeal to me and their obvious rushing of the devs to get it out before it was ready didn't make it any more appealing.

I found it really funny when Todd tried to brush it off as a learning experience. Although that's what he's there for and Todd does what Todd does.

The West Virginia worldmap is easily the most impressive in the series bar none, yeah. Just wish it would have content inside of it written by the likes of Sawyer or Gonzalez.

Did people expected Bethesda to loosen its grip on the Fallout brand to let anyone else work on it? Even after the Microsoft buyout? Obsidian working on New Vegas is an exception to the rule, and that didn't stopped Bethesda from reigning in stuff Obdsidian what do in New Vegas because Bethesda wanted to leave that stuff for future games.
The biggest thing that I can remember in regards to this was Bethesda telling Avellone that he can't have the "San Francisco was nuked by Navarro after the Oil Rig was blown up, because Navarro thought San Francisco was responsible" thing, which is a cool enough idea but it was definitely born out of Avellone's personal hatred for the area. Avellone hated San Francisco and especially the factions inside of it (Shi & Hubologists), and Bethesda wanted to keep their existence on the table for the future; the Hubologists exist in Fallout 4's Nuka World, Kellogg in Fallout 4 is from San Francisco and worked for the Shi (though technically I think he was there prior to the events of Fallout 2).

This one element isn't really that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, Bethesda did let Obsidian get away with portioning off a large percentage of U.S.A. territory to Caesar's Legion, a totally unknown faction (to Bethesda and the casual kid post-3 fanbase) at the time. I think Bethesda should be given more credit for how lenient they were with New Vegas, if anything.

Last edited:
The biggest thing that I can remember in regards to this was Bethesda telling Avellone that he can't have the "San Francisco was nuked by Navarro after the Oil Rig was blown up, because Navarro thought San Francisco was responsible" thing, which is a cool enough idea but it was definitely born out of Avellone's personal hatred for the area. Avellone hated San Francisco and especially the factions inside of it (Shi & Hubologists), and Bethesda wanted to keep their existence on the table for the future; the Hubologists exist in Fallout 4's Nuka World, Kellogg in Fallout 4 is from San Francisco and worked for the Shi (thought technically I think he was there prior to the events of Fallout 2).

This one element isn't really that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, Bethesda did let Obsidian get away with portioning off a large percentage of U.S.A. territory to Caesar's Legion, a totally unknown faction (to Bethesda and the casual kid post-3 fanbase) at the time. I think Bethesda should be given more credit for how lenient they were with New Vegas, if anything.

Given credit for what allowing a measly cunt hair of the US to play with in half the time they need?

Back