The Last Of Us

GuYem

First time out of the vault
Hello all,

Any of you got the chance to playing The Last Of Us yet ?

I did not read anything about the title (except that it is about survival in a post-apoc world !) and dont want it spoiled.

Now I'm not looking for a new Fallout clone, but I thought this title might just be the kind of game I need at the moment :
- interesting enough to keep you alert for your only playthrough
- not requiring too much skills (I just spent the last five years playing shoot-em ups)
- not so much time consuming

I would appreciate any opinions on that point.

My friend got the game 1 week + before it was supposted to be released and even if i just watched it i loved it. It was like the new Tomb raider - the suckyness with a huge ammount of post appocalyptic awesomeness.

The combat may be boring after a while but the scavageing and crafting is interessting and it looks great.

- for being linear like every console games i ever see...

I actually looked for a cheap ps3 to buy just for this game and i don't even like console gaming.

Games that received score of 100 from vaious reviewers always sucks. so I guesss LoU would be suck too.

All you really need to look into is that it's from Naughty Dog, the same developers that brought us the Uncharted series (which, if you've been living under a rock, or SOMEHOW just don't hear any news about PS3 related material, was AMAZING) so you can expect good things from The Last of Us. The last "flop" produced by Naughty Dog was U3, and that was just "bad" because of the expectations of the fans of the series to live up to the epic success of U2... and some parts of the game were just done for the sake of doing them. But story-wise U2 is a fantastic example of taking an established formula, and surprising you with a new rendition of it, while delivering it within a near-flawless gameplay experience. U3 still had that same flawless gameplay, but it wasn't as creative and original as U2. LoU suffers no such drawbacks, since the very concept it's working with is rarely ever tread upon. There's TONS of nuclear post-apocalypse games, movies, etc, plenty of machine post-apocalypse settings, a many alien post-apocalypse titles, etc etc. But natural disaster post-apocalypse titles? Very few. So tack on that fresh setting with the game-development expertise of Naughty Dog, and you can expect nothing but a good gaming experience.

woo1108 said:
Games that received score of 100 from vaious reviewers always sucks. so I guesss LoU would be suck too.
Um... Okay? That's nice and ignorant of you. <_<

Just started playing last night before bed. Do recommend a slightly darkened room for this. For me this game is so far so good, 'cept a view visual bugs. Oddly happened after a key point in the story...

[spoiler:5471de098e]When Tess goes out in a blaze of glory.[/spoiler:5471de098e]

Also, dat intro. I think that may be the best modern game intro ever executed. I may be proven wrong but I gotta say that really set up our protagonist very well and it was really good to look at. My wife thought I was watching a movie. Naughty Dog sometimes just gives me a boner that way. If I do have a recommendation so far, go stealth. Creates better tension.

I'll be playing more this evening as irl crap is a constant and games are a back seat to that. Gotta fill my day with good ol' fashioned car maintenance.

Thanks for the feedback.
I'll certainly buy it and just play a plain straightforward game and enjoy it.

I am playing The Last Of Us since yesterday. Not a bad game, quite tensing / interesting, with nice visuals. It's super linear, though (not that I expected anything else, tbh). At least they didn't try to make some "open world" game where you have to do boring fetch quests and run miles on the map all the time (that was my fear in the beginning).

So... yeah. It's linear, very story driven, and doesn't feature *that* many QTEs. Now it would be fancy if I wouldn't feel like the terminator. Killed a truckton of people already, which I find a little strange, considering it's about "the last of us".

Anyone else played it already?

Just how could you miss the topic about this just a few posts down?

And i didn't play myself but i spent a "few" hours watching my friend play and i loved it.
Seeing how i bought the new Tomb Raider a while ago this had everything TR was missing.

If only i had a PS3!

Makta said:

I was scanning the posts up!

My fear right now is that the game might be come a little repeating. So far I was sneaking around monsters, then I was killing monsters, then I had to sneak around humans, then I was killing humans... While this I had to find some ladders and replace them every once in a while, etc. Hope they will further improve on that. Would be a shame if the game will stay like that now till the end.

Lexx said:
Makta said:

I was scanning the posts up!

My fear right now is that the game might be come a little repeating. So far I was sneaking around monsters, then I was killing monsters, then I had to sneak around humans, then I was killing humans... While this I had to find some ladders and replace them every once in a while, etc. Hope they will further improve on that. Would be a shame if the game will stay like that now till the end.

Where are you right now? ish. Might have to ask you for a favor!

I got it when it came out and I've finished it. I was already a fan of the Uncharted series so was interested in a new Naughty Dog game and as you can guess I like Post-Apocalyptic stories. As others have said it is linear and story driven. I really found the characters growing on me as the game went on. Gameplay can feel a bit like a repetitive routine at times, you sure have to get a lot of planks, rafts and ladders. Then again that may be the point. If I remember correctly the game took me somewhere between 15 and 18 hours. Anyway the game is really good, I'd recommend playing it.

Also it has multiplayer but I haven't played it yet so I can't say if it is any good or not. But it isn't really a game that calls for multiplayer anyway.

I've played 3 hours of it so far.

Story looks damned good, characters are attractive. But damned is that gameplay repetitive ! Sometimes I was it was just a movie, maybe I'll play it on easy and just rush through it.

AlphaPromethean said:
I felt it was far too cinematic, it felt more like a movie than a game.

It was mediocre.

Same here, except about the mediocrity.
I just put the game on easy, build a lot of tools, one shot everything that passes and rush through the time. Story, characters and environments have me hooked.

I find it prett ysad that Naught Dog is now synonimous with Cinematic Games, whatever happened to the company that Made the Classic Crash Bandicoot Games?

Walpknut said:
I find it prett ysad that Naught Dog is now synonimous with Cinematic Games, whatever happened to the company that Made the Classic Crash Bandicoot Games?

Yes it is a shame, but this is where this saying comes into play:

You're only as good as your last game.

Back