The Male Sole Survivor from Fallout 4 is Canonically a War Criminal

Kilus

Not Australian
Orderite
Emil Pagliarulo has taken advantage of the attention the Fallout TV show has brought to reveal a little lore titbit about Fallout 4. According to him, who was the lead designer & lead writer on Fallout 4, the male Sole Survivor also known by the default name of Nate is one of the soldiers in the intro video of Fallout 1. You know the part where two soldiers in power armour have a bound Canadian and one of them shoots him. Nate is the soldier that doesn't shoot the guy.

Not surprising for anyone who isn't a compete moron people immediately realised that makes Nate a war criminal. Rounding up people, bounding them and then having your buddy summarily executed them is a war crime. So when people pointed out the very obvious to him he walked it all back somewhat a few hours later. While also not seemly not understanding why pointlessly making a player character in your game a war criminal isn't smart or cool.

Of course this all stems from Fallout 4's terrible idea to mix freeform character creation with very fixed backgrounds. In Fallout 3 the initial main quest was looking for your parent. In Fallout 4 I guess they thought they were the cleverest people in the world when they reversed it to have a you as a parent looking for your child.

The result of that was Fallout 4 had to start you off with a kid. And to do that they did it bluntly, straight married couple with a newborn. Not straight, don't like marriage and/or don't like having kids? Too bad that's the setup. For a character you are suppose to create yourself often based on yourself. And then to makes things worse Nate is always a soldier and Nora, the female Sole Survivor, is always a lawyer. Having a couple of backgrounds is cool, a way to select select something different for your character and maybe some skills are different and there are unique dialogue options. Problem is there are only 2 and you are locked in by gender. Want to be a male lawyer or a female soldier? Too bad Bethesda has taken that choice from you.

Now having a set character in a RPG isn't wrong. But the ones that do tend to critically interact with the character's set history. For all the setup Fallout 4 does all your main character can do for most of the game is just have a dialogue option asking people if they have seen a baby. Basically limiting the the possibilities of a freeform roleplay character with none of the benefits of a set character.

Anyway long post that went sideways short the word of person in charge of current Fallout lore says the male player character in Fallout 4 is a war criminal.

The best thing is Bethesda fans are calling his tweet, which by all accounts was complete sincere, a joke or a shitpost.

These people: Emil Pagliarulo posted something really stupid, well then he must be joking because Bethesda can do no wrong.

The laughing one.

I mean, Nate was part of the fascist invasion of an allied nation. What backstory he has is that he was part of a corrupt government's goons.
I don’t really know or care much about Nate’s backstory, but I had always assumed he just fought in Alaska. Which was being invaded by the Chinese.

Also allies generally allow other allies troop movements through their countries. Not sure how much of an ally Canada was once they stopped letting the U.S. do that. Not trying to downplay all the shit the U.S. did or the quasi-fascist nature of its government, but it’s not quite as simple as big bad America attacking Canada for no reason.

I don’t really know or care much about Nate’s backstory, but I had always assumed he just fought in Alaska. Which was being invaded by the Chinese.

Also allies generally allow other allies troop movements through their countries. Not sure how much of an ally Canada was once they stopped letting the U.S. do that. Not trying to downplay all the shit the U.S. did or the quasi-fascist nature of its government, but it’s not quite as simple as big bad America attacking Canada for no reason.

I thought the reason the USA invaded Canada was to steal all their resources. Because the USA had been taken over by the future Enclave.

I thought the reason the USA invaded Canada was to steal all their resources. Because the USA had been taken over by the future Enclave.
Well that could’ve been a factor, but I seem to remember (from the Fallout Bible, so, you know, grain of salt) that the U.S.-Canada conflict stemmed from America wanting an easy land route to Alaska and Canada not being happy with that for some reason (I’m sure the U.S. military was exercising a lot of control over that land route despite it belonging to a sovereign nation, so Canada wasn’t exactly in the wrong anyway).

But I could be misremembering. I really don’t care enough about Fallout lore anymore to look it up.

He called it:

Reddoot, truly asking the hard hitting questions.

Also, I could swear uggh "Nate", was just a combat armor soldier. As we only see his live action counter part in it, not -insert number here- power armor.

Also, I could swear uggh "Nate", was just a combat armor soldier. As we only see his live action counter part in it, not -insert number here- power armor.

To counter that point the other day I was watching an episode of Star Trek Voyager. For some reason some aliens transported a bunch of water into space and made a containment field to hold it in place. Then some other lazy bum aliens thought it was cool and instead of space couch surfing they set up camp. Then Voyager. a Federation space ship transported to other side of the galaxy by some asshole alien for some reason I forgot that is trying to get home to Earth(except for alien crewmates that are trying to get to Earth so then they can take other ships to get home), turned up. Turns out these lazy bums are messing up the water planetoid. So Tom Paris, played by Robert Duncan McNeill who played another character on Star Trek The Next Generation with the exact same back story but for some reason they took the same actor and backstory and made a new character, goes off on his own and tries to fix everything. He fails and gets busted down to ensign. So maybe Nate did something to bust him down a few ranks.

To counter that point the other day I was watching an episode of Star Trek Voyager. For some reason some aliens transported a bunch of water into space and made a containment field to hold it in place. Then some other lazy bum aliens thought it was cool and instead of space couch surfing they set up camp. Then Voyager. a Federation space ship transported to other side of the galaxy by some asshole alien for some reason I forgot that is trying to get home to Earth(except for alien crewmates that are trying to get to Earth so then they can take other ships to get home), turned up. Turns out these lazy bums are messing up the water planetoid. So Tom Paris, played by Robert Duncan McNeill who played another character on Star Trek The Next Generation with the exact same back story but for some reason they took the same actor and backstory and made a new character, goes off on his own and tries to fix everything. He fails and gets busted down to ensign. So maybe Nate did something to bust him down a few ranks.
Maybe, but I think you're giving it more thought than Emil did during his excited X post.

I like to believe he backpedaled after this was posted in the replies.

BY0FPlO.png

Emil Pagliarulo has taken advantage of the attention the Fallout TV show has brought to reveal a little lore tidbit about Fallout 4. According to him, who was the lead designer & lead writer on Fallout 4, the male Sole Survivor also known by the default name of Nate is one of the soldiers in the intro video of Fallout 1. You know the part where two soldiers in power armour have a bound Canadian and one of them shoots him. Nate is the soldier that doesn't shoot the guy.

Not surprising for anyone who isn't a compete moron people immediately realised that makes Nate a war criminal. Rounding up people, bounding them and then having your buddy summarily executed them is a war crime. So when people pointed out the very obvious to him he walked it all back somewhat a few hours later. While also not seemly not understanding why pointlessly making a player character in your game a war criminal isn't smart or cool.

Of course this all stems from Fallout 4's terrible idea to mix freeform character creation with very fixed backgrounds. In Fallout 3 the initial main quest was looking for your parent. In Fallout 4 I guess they thought they were the cleverest people in the world when they reversed it to have a you as a parent looking for your child.

The result of that was Fallout 4 had to start you off with a kid. And to do that they did it bluntly, straight married couple with a newborn. Not straight, don't like marriage and/or don't like having kids? Too bad that's the setup. For a character you are suppose to create yourself often based on yourself. And then to makes things worse Nate is always a soldier and Nora, the female Sole Survivor, is always a lawyer. Having a couple of backgrounds is cool, a way to select select something different for your character and maybe some skills are different and there are unique dialogue options. Problem is there are only 2 and you are locked in by gender. Want to be a male lawyer or a female soldier? Too bad Bethesda has taken that choice from you.

Now having a set character in a RPG isn't wrong. But the ones that do tend to critically interact with the character's set history. For all the setup Fallout 4 does all your main character can do for most of the game is just have a dialogue option asking people if they have seen a baby. Basically limiting the the possibilities of a freeform roleplay character with none of the benefits of a set character.

Anyway long post that went sideways short the word of person in charge of current Fallout lore says the male player character in Fallout 4 is a war criminal.

Well at least Shaun can now proclaim this:
Lumii_20240414_041049306.jpg

While blasting this song on the radio:

;) ;) ;) :roffle:

Back